Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

^
that's pretty huge news. you should start a thread for this one, since i dont think one exists yet.

This is hideous but I kind of love it. I bet that top floor unit is sick.
Something went wrong with this Porter Sq project that stacked new residences atop what had been a funeral home. It took forever and that top unit seemed unfinished and unoccupied for a long time

Per the BBJ, they are moving 200 R&D types to 2 Canal Park by Lechmere. 50,000 sq. ft. being renovated to be ready in the fall of 2015.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/b...moving-research-hub-to-cambridge-for-25m.html

to paraphrase the Monkey's theme song ..... "Here they come walk down the street [that would be Binney St ....Kendall is expanding east ......Heh...Hey its ... the Global Research Giants....."

from the BBJ
“We visited various institutions not only in Cambridge but other cities before we made our choice,” said Henk van Houten, the global head of Philips Research. “We were surprised by the breadth and richness of the competency of MIT (and also) the vision of the staff and being extremely networked, they don’t only look around what’s happening in Boston … they have a global vision.”
MIT also has a desire to put their innovations into practice, van Houten said, an aspiration that resonated with the company.

These comments are very very similar to the comments made by the folks from Novartis when they first arrived and Schlumberger when they moved R&D from Connecticut

here's what is coming from the labs website [my comments bracketed]
Philips Research North America (PRNA) headquarters is [was formerly] located in the New York area to strategically leverage the innovation ecosystem in the Boston/New York/Washington DC corridor which is rich in pharmaceutical, biomedical technology, and healthcare companies, as well as academic and governmental healthcare research centers, and lighting research centers.
Activities at this location?
The laboratory contributes to the global research programs in the fields of Healthcare and Lighting. Research is conducted in the areas of Controls, Communication, & Healthcare Informatics (CCHI), Clinical Informatics, Interventional, & Translational Solutions (CIITS), and Ultrasound, Photonics, and Bioinformatics (UPB). Our work is first-of-a-kind product development, multi-disciplinary, and team-based.

Our lab is a multi-Philips campus where Research, Philips Intellectual Property & Standards, and US Eastern region Healthcare Sales and Services, are co-located along with representatives from other Philips businesses across North America. We foster a multi-cultural, collegial environment.

Most important research topics?
In the CCHI Department, most of the applications are linked closely to: smart lighting solutions for green buildings and cities, and clinical decision support, in particular time-critical procedure guidance.
The CIITS Department combines the power of clinical informatics, interventional guidance, planning, and assessment, and clinical validation and innovation with the Clinical Sites Research Program (CSRP).
The UPB Department covers research on medical ultrasound, photonics and bioinformatics.

Central to Lechmere is now in play!

This is big very big!

:cool:

Kendall Square vs Boston;

Kendall Square Rents are pushing 60-90 per square foot. This just tells you how much failure the city of Boston BRA has become when rents per square foot are pretty much the same as compared to the city of Boston.

Boston should be Prime Real Estate but I believe Cambridge has more demand than Boston for corporations to build.

Kendall Square Rents are pushing 60-90 per square foot. This just tells you how much failure the city of Boston BRA has become when rents per square foot are pretty much the same as compared to the city of Boston.

Boston should be Prime Real Estate but I believe Cambridge has more demand than Boston for corporations to build.

Rif -- 3 little letters -- MIT

ever since it decamped from the Back Bay for the swamp of East Cambridge -- its been no-contest

to the extent that when the Karlsruhe decided to improve its global standing the KIT was created [Karlsruhe Institute of Technology] and it created the Karlsruhe version of Kendall Square

Note that the Universität Karlsruhe founded in 1825 formed a basis of the model for William Barton Rogers vision of MIT
https://www.kit.edu/kit/english/1083.php
William Barton Rogers, der Gründungsdirektor des Massachusetts Institute of Technology, fasste seine persönliche Anschauung der Polytechnischen Schule Karlsruhe 1864 zusammen: "The Polytechnic Institute at Carlsruhe, which is regarded as the model school of Germany and perhaps of Europe, is nearer what it is intended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology shall be than any other foreign institution."

Forschungszentrum and Universität: Pioneers in Research and Education
Die Flaggen der Universität, des Forschungszentrums und des KIT
50 years after the foundation of Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe and 181 years after the foundation of Universität Karlsruhe, both institutions were successful in the Excellence Initiative of the Federal Republic of Germany and the Federal States 2006. Our concept for the future envisaged the unique merger of both institutions into Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT).

From the historical perspective, this pioneer achievement is only logical, as both institutions look back on a long tradition of research and education with many parallels in terms of contents and organization. At the time of their foundation, both institutions were of pioneer character.

... Kendall Square has a niche in Pharma/Biotech which is a fast (perhaps fastest) growing segmentsin the current growing domestic economy. Based on office net absorption rates as well as construction, all CBD in Boston (Seaport, FiDi, Back Bay) AND Cambridge (Kendall) are doing remarkably well. Boston will always appeal more to finance, legal, private equity, advertising and marketing firms while Kendall will grow as biotech and life sciences. I see this as a generally good thing.

... Kendall Square has a niche in Pharma/Biotech which is a fast (perhaps fastest) growing segmentsin the current growing domestic economy. Based on office net absorption rates as well as construction, all CBD in Boston (Seaport, FiDi, Back Bay) AND Cambridge (Kendall) are doing remarkably well. Boston will always appeal more to finance, legal, private equity, advertising and marketing firms while Kendall will grow as biotech and life sciences. I see this as a generally good thing.

The question you have to ask is will Kendall Square finally surpass Boston in Commercial Rental Rates: That's nuts.

As Whigh--said MIT is the key-- to what is going on .

Kendall will grow as fast as, and be limited by. Its biggest tenant. As biotech Grows, so does kendall. As long as bio grows Kendall will thrive. T hose rents will keep 'corporations" out. Unless they are tech corps. It will not sent the Boston office market too much due to its own limitations of space and clientele.

Last edited:
Interior work at 2 Canal has been visible since mid-March (and the crews worked well into the night in April) so there must have been firm information that "someone was coming".

On another note, as of 20 May (evening), there were chalk marks all over the walkway immediately west of Avalon Northpoint (under the viaduct) that showed locations for potential bridge work. There was lots of text, but the diagrams were imprecise. Two clear notes said: <<New Footings>>.

Last edited:
Window wholesaler warehouse on New St. across from Danehy Park and next to the new luxury condos is all boarded up and fenced off. Looks like demolition is imminent. Anybody know what's slated to go there (more condos?)?

Interior work at 2 Canal has been visible since mid-March (and the crews worked well into the night in April) so there must have been firm information that "someone was coming".

On another note, as of 20 May (evening), there were chalk marks all over the walkway immediately west of Avalon Northpoint (under the viaduct) that showed locations for potential bridge work. There was lots of text, but the diagrams were imprecise. Two clear notes said: <<New Footings>>.

I believe that it is footings for the new green line track. They are also working at the corner of East Street where I believe one of the footings will be built. We were told that the footings would be started this spring.

I believe that it is footings for the new green line track. They are also working at the corner of East Street where I believe one of the footings will be built. We were told that the footings would be started this spring.

Hey, T,

Yeah, I remember that info from the meetings...nice to finally see some traction. At least they remain on schedule!

The other area you're referencing is at East/O'Brien near the new gravel piles and backhoe that is making a (spiffy) mess? :)

Back