Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

^
They seem to be using one elevator to take you up to the top of the building where the jail is located. The elevator appears to be original to the building. Maybe the other elevators are out of service. I didn't notice any odor or dampness, but as expected the building is dreary and neglected, dark with burned out lighting etc. More or less typical for old state/municipal buildings.

The Green Building at MIT is 21 stories at 295 ft tall (tallest in Cambridge).

The Boston Marriott: Cambridge Center is 26 stories at a very close second, 290ft tall. The highest habitable floor is higher than the Green Building's.

Taking a guess, it appears the cap might be 300'?

Data -- I was fairly certain that Eastgate (married student appartments) was taller both in stories and feet

I just check Emporis

Technical Data
Height (tip)
356.96 ft
Height (estimated)
309.34 ft
Floors (above ground)
Construction end

new crane today
107-4.jpg

Note the truss in the Chelsea Street Bridge, in its fully elevated position.

Data -- I was fairly certain that Eastgate (married student appartments) was taller both in stories and feet

I just check Emporis

Technical Data
Height (tip)
356.96 ft
Height (estimated)
309.34 ft
Floors (above ground)
Construction end

How strange. Their tallest buildings list doesn't list The Eastgate. Edited my original post. Thx Whighlander.

Last edited:
^^^^So where exactly is this new crane in Cambridge? I can't align the two bridges with any new project in East Cambridge.

^^ I thought it was the Fogg as well, but I had work to do today and couldn't "prove" it. Is that the Kennedy School in the foreground, and the Sert's Science Center at the Right?

Its the Fogg, but I think the foreground buildings are Charles Hotel and Holyoke Center. Widener's in the middle of the shot.

How strange. Their tallest buildings list doesn't list The Eastgate. Edited my original post. Thx Whighlander.

Their list is missing alot actually.... heights from their own website for other cambridge buildings:

William James Hall - 341'
Holyoke Center - 244'
Peabody Terrace - 227'

Emporis is like the IMDB of architecture

Its the Fogg, but I think the foreground buildings are Charles Hotel and Holyoke Center. Widener's in the middle of the shot.

yup ... stood and watched them build the crane with my son the other day.

cca

New building at 610 main street (by MIT, for Pfizer), looks nearly identical to the Broad Institute.

*yaawn

Architecture?

Peejay -- that may be true -- BUT the key is this bit in the MIT PR of that story -- among a list of phizer units there is this:

"Neuroscience Research Unit"

This building is directly adjacent to the $450 M MIT McGovern Institue for Brain Research -- on both Vassar and Albany St. straddling the railroad tracks
http://mcgovern.mit.edu/

Phizer is doing just what Novartis did -- moving whole hog into Kendall / MIT based on a linkage to MIT
Novartis moved from Switzerland based on Whitehead Genomics which begot Broad

Now Phizer is moving from Connecticut based on the McGovern

I would expect that just as Novartis started small in Tech Square in the course of the next decade Phizer will also spread throughout the Kendall / MIT / Cambridge Center

Last edited:
That's a key bit if we were a bio-science industry forum, but as this is an architecture/urban planning forum: *YAWN*

MIT has big, big plans.
http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2011/11/30/mit_injecting_life_into_kendall_square/

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology is preparing to spend $700 million to redevelop eight of its properties in Kendall Square,
In Kendall Square, most of MIT’s work would be around the lower Main Street corridor near the MBTA Red Line station. The construction plan calls for about 1.1 million square feet of new space at eight locations in Kendall Square, including two large office, lab, and retail buildings along Main Street. Other facilities would be built on parking lots just south of Main Street and near MIT’s One Broadway office building by Memorial Drive.
The Kendall Square Initiative itself is part of a much-larger 20-year capital plan by MIT to make major building and infrastructure improvements across the university’s sprawling campus. It also includes at least two new on-campus buildings dedicated to energy, environmental, and materials research, according to preliminary plans.

From the Globe:
globegiftastic__1322641339_7785.gif

I really hope they jack up the amount of housing...This area could really blossom if the Volpe Transportation building ever packed up and left for the suburbs. It's is a complete vacuum of activity in the heart of the square.

My concern is that MIT seems to want to cluster all residential along Third Street. Why such a Simcity-esque separation of uses?

Back