Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

It's...interesting? The above shot makes the building look like total trash...but the street-level has me strangely intrigued.

It's nice to see some new forumers here too!

It's...interesting? The above shot makes the building look like total trash...but the street-level has me strangely intrigued.

You're...intrigued? Interesting... :)

In all seriousness, existing building is no masterpiece, and surrounding plaza is fairly cheaply paved and looks pretty bland, however there are 3 restaurants in its base and a kayak rental place at the tip of a canal, so area is relatively lively (at least during work days and nights) and with more retail in the new building it will get even better. As far as I remember, originally the plan was for a hotel at this site, which, in my opinion, would've been better. But I'll take apartments now vs hotel in indefinite future...

I took his post to mean that it was interesting that it would block alot of views from the existing Watermark - - not about the architecture.

For all this density I wish this area would resemble a neighborhood and not a West End style tower cluster with slightly less bland architecture.

Today:

mKDZG.jpg

If5t0.jpg

"Berkeley Building Consulting."

Someone was actually consulted on this? What a grim, glassy turd of a building.

I took his post to mean that it was interesting that it would block alot of views from the existing Watermark - - not about the architecture.

Oh I wasn't commenting on his post...I was commenting on the picture haha. I was saying the project is interesting

"Berkeley Building Consulting."

Someone was actually consulted on this? What a grim, glassy turd of a building.

They likely recommended this as a flashy, "futuristic" thing that would capture some tech tenants from further down Mass. Ave.

Harvard Sq. did need some architectural spicing up (I'm still smarting over the rejection of the Hans Hollein design for the building that now houses the Globe Bookstore - see this http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...DF_hOjfgDdGctPnTkJUmIDUHbx-Fz4lLIB9RXJvE04eyw if you want to know what I mean) but they could have done a better job than this.

I remember the Hans Hollein proposal well.

Too bad they couldn't have resurrected elements of that for the Mass Ave / Mount Auburn project. (Sigh.)

No idea what anything other than Archstone is, just figured this was as good a thread as any to post this stuff

Crane

IMG_7960.jpg

IMG_7972.jpg

I see a major opportunity here...

IMG_8087.jpg

Anybody know what this is?

IMG_8108.jpg

IMG_8109.jpg

Good development

IMG_8053.jpg

IMG_7956.jpg

Some jumble

IMG_8107.jpg

IMG_8088.jpg

Shiny

IMG_7877.jpg

Where does one buy groceries and run other errands if one buys a shiny new condo in Kendall? Does it involve a long walk to East Cambridge, Central, or Somerville? I mean I know there's a CVS...but come on.

Where does one buy groceries and run other errands if one buys a shiny new condo in Kendall? Does it involve a long walk to East Cambridge, Central, or Somerville? I mean I know there's a CVS...but come on.

There's no CVS (unless you mean in the mall?). There really needs to be a grocery store in one of the parking lots by MIT Medical...

I think the closest one is the Star Market on Mass Ave up by Lafayette Square. That's only "close" if you're on that side of Kendall though. There needs to be one somewhere over on the Binney side of the neighborhood.

I think the closest one is the Star Market on Mass Ave up by Lafayette Square. That's only "close" if you're on that side of Kendall though. There needs to be one somewhere over on the Binney side of the neighborhood.

Most of the people I know go to Shaw's at McGrath.
People have been asking for a grocery store and a pharmacy for a while now...

^ Having to cross the river to grocery shop even for minor trips is pretty ridic though, right?

Did I just imagine there was a CVS in Kendall or did there not used to be one in that brick building by the fountain? Also, I thought it was practically a law that every square in Massachusetts had to have one.

There used to be an independent pharmacy, Kendall Drug, in the location you remember. Not a CVS. Though there needs to be a CVS or Walgreens or Rite Aid here, desperately.

Back