Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

1954 called...it wants its building back.

(snark aside, I must say it's an earnest and somewhat handsome building)

>>That brown siding is ugly

I, actually, like that siding a lot. I think it's by far the coolest thing about this building...

"stone and brick materials provides a sense of durability and stability"

Well said, report. The real aesthetic cancer in Boston was never redbrick, it was wood (or pretend wood). Why there are still apartment complexes in Southie being built like they're garden apartments off Route 2 in Leominster I'll never want to understand.

I agree that red brick has never been an issue. It is an excellent building material when utilized correctly for a properly scaled structure. Hi rises clad in fake New England Brick Face are bogus and are better off being covered in vinyl siding.

I agree that red brick has never been an issue. It is an excellent building material when utilized correctly for a properly scaled structure.

That's the important thing. Brick becomes an issue when it's overused on large buildings (e.g., the Transportation building, the Clarendon).

Would you guys rather the Transportation Building be built out of precast or cheap glass curtain walls?

Yeah, didn't think so.

Would you guys rather the Transportation Building be built out of precast or cheap glass curtain walls?

Yeah, didn't think so.

LOL, give a guy a chance to answer!! Imho, the transportation building is a hulking brick mass as is the Moakley Courthouse! I'll take glass curtainwall anyday over a heavy mass of bricks! I do, however, really like the glass rear-end of the Moakely but that shouldn't be a surprise! :)

Yeah, but I don't mean Moakley style curtain wall (which is nice, and rare) -- I was thinking more like today's par for the course, the Kensington's.

Hi rises clad in fake New England Brick Face are bogus and are better off being covered in vinyl siding.

cambridge_marriott.jpg

Back