Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

The first phase of Green Line construction includes demolishing a building at 21 Water Street.

I dig it! Very good buildings for Cambridge.

I think I saw a new crane in that area yesterday as I was coming into town on 93.

My bad, that crane was just off of Education St next to the off-ramp.

I'm not too familiar with that part of Cambridge, but are you talking about this...?
Took this on the train home from North Station today and was wondering what it was

photo_jan_03__3_22_34_pm.jpg

That crane has only been there for about a week. It is for the new EF Education Building. They are also moving a lot of dirt around the North Point site in preparation for the new apartment building. There is a large mock up in back of the old North Point sales office. It is supposed to be for a building in Kendall Square. Largest mock up that I have seen.

Yep, that was the site I was referring to. Good to see many places around that area move forward.

Cambridge’s Central Square is “primed” for fresh housing, shopping and dining options, after a pair of developers snapped up a portfolio of 15 properties, including several aging lab facilities that Quest Diagnostics will be departing.

New Jersey’s Normandy Real Estate Partners paid more than $32 million to a family realty trust that for decades owned the mix of office buildings and parking lots along Massachusetts Avenue, a few blocks from Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Normandy is teaming with Twining Properties, the New York firm that brought the Watermark apartment towers along with new retail and restaurant offerings to Kendall Square.

http://bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/2013/01/central’s_‘primed_redevelopment’

I remember going to Man Ray back in like 2003/2004 when I was in college for the 80's night. It was freakishly-weirdly awesome.

I remember going to Man Ray back in like 2003/2004 when I was in college for the 80's night. It was freakishly-weirdly awesome.

I lived about a block from there for a couple years. Right before it closed. Always interesting people watching on the line to get in. Only braved it inside once and...uh...felt a bit self-consciously out-of-place. But I was sad for the freaks when they leveled it and put up more faceless condos. Like, "Where are the freaks going to go now? Won't someone please think of the freaks!"

I don't know...it's been gone from the Square long enough that a revival wouldn't quite be the same. For one, the freaks are awkward enough and have enough aversion to bright light that smack in the Square is a little 'naked' to be waiting in line wearing a black cape, full Robert Smith makeup and hair, and prosthetic boobs. Slightly dank but not-unsafe side street was more the sweet spot for that crowd.

I lived about a block from there for a couple years. Right before it closed. Always interesting people watching on the line to get in. Only braved it inside once and...uh...felt a bit self-consciously out-of-place. But I was sad for the freaks when they leveled it and put up more faceless condos. Like, "Where are the freaks going to go now? Won't someone please think of the freaks!"

I don't know...it's been gone from the Square long enough that a revival wouldn't quite be the same. For one, the freaks are awkward enough and have enough aversion to bright light that smack in the Square is a little 'naked' to be waiting in line wearing a black cape, full Robert Smith makeup and hair, and prosthetic boobs. Slightly dank but not-unsafe side street was more the sweet spot for that crowd.

Believe it or not they were at the downstairs at Wonderbar in Allston for a few years, I used to barback for it. Me and two of the bartenders used to dress the part (sans fake boobs, I did borrow my girlfriends fishnet tee shirt though). Made a ton of tips, nice people in my book =). It was also hilarious to see one of the regular bro-dude crowd stumble downstairs, do an immediate doubletake and run out.

A report in today's Globe has Amazon moving to 101 Main St., into a space large enough for several hundred employees. (I know its an existing building.) What these employees do is very secretive, and it certainly sounds like Amazon is not eager to share space with others. I had thought they might move into Skanska's spec building.

^ that's a lab space and would seem unnecessary for amazon... unless?

Back