Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

Ugh. There's no way that'll work with the street layout around the Common. It's a death-defying experience trying to get from Broadway/Cambridge St. across every lane of Mass Ave. and onto Garden with all the weaving required. Everything in the whole world, including all the buses, converges at that very spot. To say nothing about how fucked-up the rest of the street grid is around Harvard Sq. Where could you possibly put a garage entrance around there...and flush twice as much traffic into the Square from parkers...without making an already bad and dangerous traffic situation incredibly worse? There's no place you can put it that would serve traffic from all directions except for somewhere between the center of the auto universe and the Garden side.

I do agree it's a complicated intersection. I looked at some of Harvard's blueprints of that intersection held-over from the construction of Wasserstein Hall building and a move of several houses Harvard moved by flatbed. That configuration of the Red Line tunnel/Bus ramp made that junction at the convergence of Mass. Ave & Cambridge/Peabody Streets pretty bad.

On the Garden St. side, the metered parking could be converted to ramp. The Boston Common configuration gives up one traffic lane as the ramp.

Street view of Boston Common -- https://maps.google.com/maps?q=St.+...on,+Suffolk,+Massachusetts+02116&layer=t&z=19

Alewife works just fine as the de facto Harvard Sq. garage. Improve the ramp access to/from 2 to divert traffic away from that godawful rotary and it works better than it does now. Or open up a garage on the Stadium side where Soldiers Field Rd. can funnel the traffic and let the Harvard shuttle bus get people across. We're trying to get away from making the very densest and oldest neighborhoods gigantic car sinks. I can't think of anything more destructive than plunking a massive garage right in the Square.

And forget about Cantabrigians ever supporting something like that. There'll be a massive hunger strike on the Common if officials even proposed it in passing.
lol. Alewife fills up daily. Even turning cars away. I see some patch work being done on the garage at Alewife now too. Looks like corrosion repairs?

Although residents could get a bone out of it. Some underground parking at night.

--
Your Best Parking Space in Boston

This newly-renovated, spacious, state-of-the-art parking facility is located beneath Boston Common and provides clean, well-lit parking for 1,300 vehicles at an affordable price. Best of all, it's just a short walk to most of Boston's top attractions, including the State House, Beacon Hill, Back Bay, the Theater District, and the shops of Downtown Crossing.

Directions

Zipcar and Mr. Perfection car detailing services available onsite!

http://massconvention.com/about-us/boston-common-garage

Harvard charges their employees over $1200 a year to park on the Stadium side and I believe someone told me there's a waiting list for there and further down the road at junction of N. Harvard / Western Ave. When that parking lot is taken off line in July to level those buildings parking is going to be even worse in the square as those cars will be forced to look elsewhere.

Harvard to Park Street is a 10-minute T ride. There's no need for "express tracks" here.

17 Cambridge Center:

8710513109_c73df1a4df_b.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Gerbil (2 story) tube between 15 & 17 5/4

$1200 a year is $100/month. Not expensive for parking at all. Cheaper than renting a space in Allston or Cambridge. No wonder there's a queue.

I do agree it's a complicated intersection. I looked at some of Harvard's blueprints of that intersection held-over from the construction of Wasserstein Hall building and a move of several houses Harvard moved by flatbed. That configuration of the Red Line tunnel/Bus ramp made that junction at the convergence of Mass. Ave & Cambridge/Peabody Streets pretty bad.

On the Garden St. side, the metered parking could be converted to ramp. The Boston Common configuration gives up one traffic lane as the ramp.

I can't even list the number of ways this is a bad, bad idea. Boston Common garage is set up for easy ramp access by a continuous street grid. Charles St. Ext. is a logical straight shot out of the South End that flows pretty smooth, has highway access, and is on a well-spaced block that does a pretty decent job spreading out traffic going around the block. You can't simply template that idea and apply it everywhere. Just because there's a city green with air rights space that happens to be encircled on 4 sides by streets doesn't mean the traffic flows in any way conducive to parking. Cambridge Common has that center-of-the-universe intersection and a fucked-up array of one-ways. Who cares if you take a parking lane on Garden for a ramp...you still have to cross FOUR lanes of traffic and a busway to get there from Broadway/Cambridge or Mass Ave. NB (with all the weaving problems around the underpass to boot). And if pedestrians are crossing the crosswalk at that unsignaled intersection, the traffic on those Garden turn lanes backs up past the center-of-universe light, leaving a clusterfuck of cars dangerously spread through the middle of the road...at times with the queue un-emptied when the Mass Ave. SB light goes green. I used to live up Garden past Walden; there's many times where that queue backup from the center-of-universe forced me to bail on the turn and go through the Square. Well...go through the Square and you have to do do Brattle to Mason to get back to Garden. And then how are you going to make the would-be ramp into this garage...Mason and Waterhouse are so close you introduce another severe weaving problem onto your would-be garage ramp right by an extremely busy Sheraton Commander crosswalk and the bus turnout.

Second convoluted bail-out: Take the wrong turn lane from the center-of-universe light--which happens frequently because the weaving is so compressed at the Mass Ave. NB + Broadway/Cambridge merge--and there is no place on Mass Ave. NB to turn around until quiet residential Shepard St. Lefts onto Waterhouse are prohibited. Linnean, the next halfway-thoroughfare across, is a half-mile away and has no left-turn lane from Mass Ave. You can't reverse at Porter at all.

How is anyone not immediately familiar with the streets in Harvard Sq. going to navigate this garage if they have to go around the block even once? Boston Common garage...just take 4 rights around the Common and you're back. Either way around the horn at Cambridge Common is a convoluted, zero margin-for-error weaving nightmare that takes you way out of the way in nothing at all resembling a natural geometrically-shaped street grid. I'm not sure there's any amount of signage you could post that'll make that logical for an out-of-towner to follow. And you want to install a giant car sink in the middle of that for primary purpose of bringing significantly more out-of-towners into the Square with their cars???

Boston Common ≠ Cambridge Common. Not even close.

And this is before you even get to asking the citizens of Cambridge whether they would tolerate this. Or Harvard...they have their limits too as to how unnavigable they want their campus to get. They don't exactly benefit by having the Square utterly, totally paralyzed and made twice as dangerous around the largely unimprovable weaving.

lol. Alewife fills up daily. Even turning cars away. I see some patch work being done on the garage at Alewife now too. Looks like corrosion repairs?

Although residents could get a bone out of it. Some underground parking at night.

Then expand Alewife. Or build that badly-needed 128 park-and-ride on the Fitchburg Line to take some load off Alewife. Or build a parking sink at Route 16 GLX station to take some load off Alewife. ANYTHING with direct public transit access out by the state highways is better than nuking Harvard Square to bring that carmageddon inbound.

Harvard charges their employees over $1200 a year to park on the Stadium side and I believe someone told me there's a waiting list for there and further down the road at junction of N. Harvard / Western Ave. When that parking lot is taken off line in July to level those buildings parking is going to be even worse in the square as those cars will be forced to look elsewhere.

Then put the onus on Harvard to do better on the Allston side. You make this sound like it's an either/or: make the Square, which in no way shape or form can handle it, suffer for Harvard's intransigence at offering up enough on its open land where the street grid and Storrow access can handle it. That is not Cambridge's problem.

new crane for what? Camb. now has way more cranes than boston at the moment

Harvard to Park Street is a 10-minute T ride. There's no need for "express tracks" here.

Small point. Park Street isn't always the end destination for many around Harvard Sq. It's often Commuter Rail destinations so add an hour or so for that commuter rail commute, plus waiting time for commuter rail train's scheduled departure from the 'union stations' in the city.

LOL @ that hideous building in the last shot. WTF?

If you are referring to the building to the right of 75 Ames in 02124's Mt Auburn collage, I believe it's the side of view of one of these apartment towers (though not this particular tower and not this particular side);

These apartment towers have always intrigued me, but I've been unable to figure out how to find more info on them. The emporis list of Cambridge high rises is woefully incomplete.

edit, found a pic of the facade in the picture;

If you are referring to the building to the right of 75 Ames in 02124's Mt Auburn collage, I believe it's the side of view of one of these apartment towers (though not this particular tower and not this particular side);

These apartment towers have always intrigued me, but I've been unable to figure out how to find more info on them. The emporis list of Cambridge high rises is woefully incomplete.

I did a project on the Peabody Terrace!

They were experimental buildings by Josep Lluis Sert that have been the subject of architectural debate since they were built. To understand the Peabody Terrace, you have to essentially think of a typical walk-up brownstone stacked on top of itself 6 times, linked by an elevator core that stops at the base of every brownstone. In essence, the elevators only stop every 3 floors and then you walk up to your respective apartment. This is known as a "skip-stop elevator" system. The whole reason for this is that the apartments can be completely cross-ventilated because there is no central corridor on the majority of housing floors. On floors where there is a central corridor, Sert employed his operable panels on the hallway side, so that you can open the panel and a window in the hallway to vent your place. Sert also wanted these private, intimate staircases in order to get (force) people to interact with each other. He was displeased with American apartment life, where nobody knows their neighbors and he wanted to bring a European-sense of community to apartment tower living.

Figure 1.13 in the book below best demonstrates how the Peabody Terrace works.

Here's a booklet my team put together:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/141987096/Peabody-Terrace-Booklet

1.7 - 1.17 are what I can take credit for. The rest is not mine.

To understand the Peabody Terrace, you have to essentially think of a typical walk-up brownstone stacked on top of itself 6 times, linked by an elevator core that stops at the base of every brownstone. In essence, the elevators only stop every 3 floors and then you walk up to your respective apartment. This is known as a "skip-stop elevator" system. The whole reason for this is that the apartments can be completely cross-ventilated because there is no central corridor on the majority of housing floors. On floors where there is a central corridor, Sert employed his operable panels on the hallway side, so that you can open the panel and a window in the hallway to vent your place. Sert also wanted these private, intimate staircases in order to get (force) people to interact with each other. He was displeased with American apartment life, where nobody knows their neighbors and he wanted to bring a European-sense of community to apartment tower living.

That's all well and fine, but it didn't have to look like arse :)

I see most of what Sert did as a (probably unintended) "eff you" to the local population, with Peabody Terrace and the Harvard Science Center being "eff you"s to Cambridge.

That's all well and fine, but it didn't have to look like arse :)

I see most of what Sert did as a (probably unintended) "eff you" to the local population, with Peabody Terrace and the Harvard Science Center being "eff you"s to Cambridge.

It was 1964... brutalism was in full swing. It was the future. Sert's legacy lives on actually in Northeastern's International Village which employs the same operable colored ventilation panels.

The side walls of the towers are a bit "concretey" and could have been better designed but the front/back elevations are nicely animated and add a lot to the skyline. Would hate for them not to be there. The street level, a bit heavy on open space, is pleasant enough.

Progressive utopians with laughably naive ideas about urbanism and cranky traditionalists will never like Peabody Terrace.

Back