Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

people will buy apartments anywhere in this metro-area right now. There is such a housing crunch. This location has access to Rt 2 and Alewife. A commuter's paradise.
Truly! Job in the core? Hop the Red Line! Job in the 'burbs, hop on the overbuilt part of Rt 2.

Crazy perfect for double-income, no-kids.

Because it's in Cambridge and near a t-stop (sorta) and there are people who will pay to live in a dumpster if it meets those two criteria (almost).

While indoors they can treat the front of the building as the back. The actual back of the complex has the entire Alewife Brook wetlands virtually at its doorstep. They can make that the side of the building as the area where they spend most of their leisure.

Last edited:
Truly! Job in the core? Hop the Red Line! Job in the 'burbs, hop on the overbuilt part of Rt 2.

Crazy perfect for double-income, no-kids.

I feel like this is so obvious which is why I hesitated at taking the bait, but you never know with Jass lol.

207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

If srs -- people will buy apartments anywhere in this metro-area right now. There is such a housing crunch. This location has access to Rt 2 and Alewife. A commuter's paradise.

Access to route 2? Doesnt getting in from the south, or out towards the north require a large and potentially very time consuming u turn?

I feel like this is so obvious which is why I hesitated at taking the bait, but you never know with Jass lol.

You would really pay to have your bedroom window 15 feet from route 2?

Setbacks have a time and place....this is one of them.

This complex is hardly breaking new ground with its proximity to a highway. Is this your first trip to the big, bad city? Millions upon millions of Americans live along highways, grid locked urban streets, and even next to ::shudder:: rail lines. They get by and they pay happily.

The only thing interesting about this building is that units will likely go for shockingly high prices because of weak housing stock in general.

The fact that it's right on a highway isn't an issue for me - Rte 2 is often gridlocked in that spot anyway. I just can't believe that DOT didn't force them to set it back further to allow some future fix to the Route 2 freeway termination. There's ZERO room to do that now. It's also not that close to Alewife Station by foot, I guarantee most people living there will be getting around by car.

Yeah it is a little bit of a hike to Alewife, but doable given the right walking paths and simple on a bike. I do expect this development to be mainly car-based though. I don't deny that.

From a noise perspective, something like Mass Ave or Boylston would be far more annoying to live on, as there you have horns, buses, people yelling, etc. A highway for the most part just amounts to a hum of white noise.
I live right next to the Pike and the noise is great for falling asleep, I have more trouble at my parents in the country, where its so quiet every little creak and moan wakes me up. It was way worse when I lived a block or two off Comm Ave, THAT was noise.

However, if you're talking about it from an urban living standpoint, then yes living on route 2 is the suck.

The big long building on Binney that is currently a whole in the ground has the footings for a crane, maybe two (obstructed view seats), that looks like they should go up very soon. I don't know if this place has a tenant yet? I am assuming big lab space based on the footprint. Taking that loop around from MIT/Mass Ave to the back side of kendall is very impressive tho. Dump trucks, Cement mixers and construction crews literally on every corner.

The big long building on Binney that is currently a whole in the ground has the footings for a crane, maybe two (obstructed view seats), that looks like they should go up very soon. I don't know if this place has a tenant yet?

Over 60% of it is leased to Ariad Pharma:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/alexandria-real-estate-equities-inc-announces-15-year-lease-with-ariad-pharmaceuticals-inc-for-its-corporate-and-rd-headquarters-at-the-alexandria-center-at-kendall-square-185858642.html

From article:
"75/125 Binney Street, the second ground-up development at the Alexandria Center at Kendall Square, will be an approximately 386,000 rentable square foot life science facility at the forefront of innovation and collaboration. The main façade features custom textured rainscreen panels and windows alternating in an artistic manner reminiscent of DNA patterns. Designed as two towers, the flagship facility is separated by multiple unique, architectural glass terraces purposefully designed to enhance collaboration. These elevated convergence spaces will span a pedestrian corridor between Binney Street and the landscaped Rogers Street Park. The City of Cambridge is also commencing the development of Rogers Street Park, which will provide a lush green space for Alexandria's client tenants and the neighboring community.
Located in the heart of Cambridge's internationally acclaimed Kendall Square innovation cluster, the Alexandria Center at Kendall Square will ultimately become an 11-acre, world-class science park featuring four ground-up first-in-class life science developments – 50 Binney Street, 75/125 Binney Street, 100 Binney Street, and 225 Binney Street – aggregating approximately 1.7 million rentable square feet of high-quality laboratory/office space, as well as new residential developments totaling approximately 200,000 rentable square feet. The first development, an approximately 305,000 rentable square foot build-to-suit for Biogen Idec, Inc. at 225 Binney Street, is currently under construction and is anticipated to be delivered in the fourth quarter of 2013. With a plethora of collaborative amenities including a two-acre landscaped park, world-class restaurants, state-of-the-art meeting and event spaces, high-quality hotels, and wellness centers, the Alexandria Center at Kendall Square provides leading life science entities with a unique opportunity to drive productivity, accelerate innovation, and recruit and retain the brightest scientific minds."

The big long building on Binney that is currently a whole in the ground has the footings for a crane, maybe two (obstructed view seats), that looks like they should go up very soon. I don't know if this place has a tenant yet? I am assuming big lab space based on the footprint. Taking that loop around from MIT/Mass Ave to the back side of kendall is very impressive tho. Dump trucks, Cement mixers and construction crews literally on every corner.

75-125 Binney 6/4 (looking NE)

75-125 Binney 6/4 (looking SE)

Back