Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

13274638293_20966d2136_b.jpg

13274824244_c8924db066_b.jpg

13274487905_007d198668_b.jpg

13274456445_835fbb4796_b.jpg

13274468963_4e2990cbe1_b.jpg

13274638434_7d959bebfa_b.jpg

Topping off ceremony will be held for NorthPoint Building Twenty/20 on April 3rd.

Topping off ceremony will be held for NorthPoint Building Twenty/20 on April 3rd.

Drove across the Leverett connector today, and also that huge on ramp from Rutherford to Storrow. I will say that this building and the EF one both have a massive presence from these angles, in spite of neither being very tall.

They do make a big difference especially since the land was empty previously. Have you driven from Charlestown across the Gilmore Bridge into Cambridge? Now there are 20+ story buildings on both sides of the bridge ( 2 Regatta Towers on one side and Twenty/20 and Archstone Apts on the other). That definitely gives an urban vibe to the neighborhood.

Have you driven from Charlestown across the Gilmore Bridge into Cambridge?

Yes I drove that road and noted that the 20 building is pretty much right on top of the bridge. It really makes a huge difference to the area which now has somewhat of a defined skyline as opposed to just being a collection of towers. As for being urban, there is a long way to go as it's lacking in street life and retail. Feels like a bedroom community and not sure this new tower (or the other one at Water) will change that.

Yes, I agree that we need more than just condos/apartments. The only retail so far is a small convenience store at Regatta. Twenty/20 is supposed to have some retail at the base. The new EF Building will have a restaurant. It will take years to build up a retail base. Also there has been nothing mentioned so far about any biotech/businesses ready to start building yet.

While retail is important, these are literally a block away from the Cambridgeside Galleria, so I don't know how much more demand there necessarily is for that immediate area.

While retail is important, these are literally a block away from the Cambridgeside Galleria, so I don't know how much more demand there necessarily is for that immediate area.

Tango actually lives in the Northpoint area. I think in the Tango building, IIRC. He of all people knows what the area needs. The Galleria is great and all, but it's very introverted and turns its back quite literally on Cambridge. These towers they're building need to be part of their own sub-community with some shops, restaurants, etc. No one wants to constantly be walking to and from the Galleria to get things.

Correct. I do live in the Tango building. Residents do shop at the Cambridgeside Galleria and eat at restaurants in Inman Square. People are looking for small retail such as coffee shops, dry cleaners, convenience stores, restaurants and maybe a gym. Maybe something unique would even draw persons into NorthPoint who do not live there. Just like the Seaport area this is a work in progress. It is interesting to look out your window to see the changes.

went to North Point to watch the 2013 Red Sox victory parade. The single convenience store was totally unable to handle the huge crowd that day.

Ultimately, GLX is going to increase access to Inman Square retail for Northpoint residents.

That convenience store is OK for the Regatta but not for the rest of us. It is way too small. Whole Foods in Charlestown is a good walkable option especially when the Twenty/20 connection to the Gilmore Bridge opens. But a coffee shop or small take-out restaurant in NorthPoint would be welcomed. I guess that the residents arrive first, then retail and/or businesses follow?

I meant the Regatta Riverview residences which used to be called Museum Towers when it was rental units. That little convenience store caters to mostly residents in the Regatta towers.

I'm a resident of the Lechmere area. I would love to see more retail space outside of the mall. We need space for yoga studios, non-chain stores, restaurants that don't fit in a mall food court, etc. With all of the new residential units in 20/Twenty and 22 Water Street, there will be plenty of demand for this type of space in the coming years. The mall may be nearby, but personally I avoid it all costs, and I know a lot of other residents that feel the same way.

Back