Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

Agreed, bare brick is honestly one of the most agreeable cladding materials there is other than wood. Even if theres no ornamentation or effort whatsoever, plain brick is rarely offensive. Not sure what the goal was here but brick buildings are almost effortless in how well they blend in to the built environment. Random lego blocks of red shaded vinyl not so much.

It kind of looks like brick if you squint your eyes from really far away. ;)

84E31714-87FA-434C-8427-E9BDDEAFAE88.jpeg

The tight site by the bike path has led to some unconventional foundation construction sequencing. The foundation is being constructed in two halves, using portable trench shoring to keep the excavations safe.

E32A67ED-F3A3-463F-B1CD-C19F2659B25D.jpeg

This one is going to make the bike path entry from Mass Ave nice and cozy, which is a stark improvement from back when it was nestled between the function hall and the liquor store.

I walk by this new private residence that's going up a bit on Raymond Street - I don't know much about it, but I'll just go out on a limb and say the Architect didn't tell their rich client no on this. Perhaps they should've pushed back on a few things at least a few times:

1664064653583.png

1664064976271.png

The permit out front lists Unison Design Group, but the documents online are from Maryann Thompson Architects (A firm that does great work).

Back