CambridgeSide Galleria Reno/Redev | First Street | East Cambridge

There must be an insatiable demand for lab space. For those following along at home, the developer had previously proposed (& got approval) that the former 3rd floor of the mall be converted to a level of office space with possible connections into the new lab/office buildings being built around the perimeter of the mall.

Now they are going back to the planning board (on Aug 30th) to propose that additional wet lab space extend into the actual 3rd floor of the mall itself.
See design amendment here.

Cambridge must be the only place in the country where a biochemistry lab will sit directly atop an Old Navy within an open-air mall.

Amusingly (though perhaps better than many alternatives) they are proposing planting a bunch of pine trees on the roof of the mall to hide the new lab mechanicals that will be added there (from within the link above):

cslm-1.png

Amusingly (though perhaps better than many alternatives) they are proposing planting a bunch of pine trees on the roof of the mall to hide the new lab mechanicals that will be added there (from within the link above):

That'll make the people (person?) who were/was annoyed that there aren't pine trees in the Boston City Hall plaza re-do happy.

The brick looks lovely, but have we now reached the point of absurdity with offset windows where architects feel the need to fake it?

Can we stop putting those dumb panels next to windows on buildings? What is that even for, anyway? It looks awful every time, and it's only almost every new masonry building.

At first, I thought they were encoding a message with the windows on the lower floors being inset or not. However, it’s just every fourth window not being inset.

Fairly substantial landscape renovation proposed for the Lechemere Canal Park:

I had an office on the ground floor of One Canal Park for a few years, and while the landscape changes are nice, I would have settled for a) stopping the constant and brazen bike theft and b) some barrier between the pathways an my office window.

For a, we had to dedicate space in the office for bikes, since thieves would just cut locks and chains, even when surrounded by mid-day crowds. For b), I've experienced multiple "pressed hams" and drug users passing out leaning on the window, including one that I called an ambulance for that still had a needle in their arm.

Back