[CANCELED] 1000 Boylston Street | MassDOT Parcel 15 | Back Bay

Justin7

Reaction score
R90zthH.jpg

BPDA Project Site

Project Description (from BPDA): The Proposed Project consists of a single condominium tower containing up to approximately 108 condominium units, rising from a Podium base containing approximately 45,500 square feet of first and second-story retail and restaurant space fronting on Dalton, Boylston and St. Cecilia Streets, a two-story above-grade parking garage containing approximately 175 spaces, and an amenities floor. A greenspace and outdoor amenity area for the condominium unit owners will be located on the roof level of the Podium.

Architect: Elkus Manredi

BPDA Project Manager: Michael Rooney

Current Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/H2FoSdgAp3p

(See past discussion here: http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=2347)

vEzkmpj.jpg

GiDZccb.jpg

hIM1HaR.jpg

mHMfFYb.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

Wow there are a ton of great renders here! It's tough to complain much about this one, except that given what a great design it is they should have made it taller.

Huge win for the area. Now the other side of the street just needs to get its act together and this part of Boylston will be booming.

Since the "MassDOT Pike Parcels 12-15" thread is 48 pages of 95% discussion of this project (Parcel 15), can we just rename that as the Parcel 15 thread and get rid of this one? With both of these threads open we're going to get parallel and duplicative conversation.

Maybe we can make a separate Parcel 12 thread, as that is farther down the road and hasn't been discussed much in the "MassDOT Pike Parcels 12-15" thread?

Since the "MassDOT Pike Parcels 12-15" thread is 48 pages of 95% discussion of this project (Parcel 15), can we just rename that as the Parcel 15 thread and get rid of this one? With both of these threads open we're going to get parallel and duplicative conversation.

Maybe we can make a separate Parcel 12 thread, as that is farther down the road and hasn't been discussed much in the "MassDOT Pike Parcels 12-15" thread?

Personally, I like having all the renders in the first post instead of having to click through 48 pages to find the current ones.

Personally, I like having all the renders in the first post instead of having to click through 48 pages to find the current ones.

That's not enough reason to have multiple threads for the same project

That thread covers multiple iterations of 4 distinct buildings. Now that 1000 Boylston is a defined project and has its own thread there is no longer a a reason to discuss it there and no reason for parallel discussions.

If an admin wants to move the past few days of discussion relating to 1000 Boylston over to this thread that would be ideal.

Why not just change the big thread to be discussion for Parcels 12-14? Then any time one of the parcels gets fully approved it gets its own thread.

Why not just change the big thread to be discussion for Parcels 12-14? Then any time one of the parcels gets fully approved it gets its own thread.

Parcel 13 has been approved; it's the "Viola" project. Parcel 14 is a tiny traffic island that will never be developed.

I'd support breaking up the "12-15" thread into a thread for 12, a thread for 13 ("The Viola"), and this thread for 15. But it's silly to keep both this and "12-15" active. At a minimum, the recent Parcel 15 discussion (i.e., at least the last year's worth, since around post #766) should be moved into this thread if this one is to stay active.

Last edited:

^
I've griped about this on the other thread forever - the 12-15 thread HAS to be broken up - if anything, at least into the two major projects (Viola, and this [isn't Parcel 15 the same project as the building that will go over the Pike and have a new bus station for the MBTA 1?])

I think we get carried away sometimes breaking up every little component of a multibuilding project on here, but I can definitely also see splitting up the parcels on this one even further, since each one is so consequential.

Parcel 13 has been approved; it's the "Viola" project. Parcel 14 is a tiny traffic island that will never be developed.

I'd support breaking up the "12-15" thread into a thread for 12, a thread for 13 ("The Viola"), and this thread for 15. But it's silly to keep both this and "12-15" active. At a minimum, the recent Parcel 15 discussion (i.e., at least the last year's worth, since around post #766) should be moved into this thread if this one is to stay active.

That seems entirely reasonable. At this point they're all separate projects so why not have separate threads?

The view across the charles is amazing. I love the angles. Much better than the taller version imo. Plus I like the step down effect.

That seems entirely reasonable. At this point they're all separate projects so why not have separate threads?

Okay, but just to satisfy my pet peeve - it's "MassDOT".

This is a great design. And a big deal.

Some time in the next 5 - 10 years you'll experience continuous urbanism/streetwall from Copley, past the Pru, out to and around the Fens, and straight through Fenway's miracle mile to Landmark Center. The current dead zone around MassAve/Boylston/Pike very much crimps the feeling of continuous urbanity.

Are they serious about fall groundbreaking? How is this different than everything else that has failed since the 80's? Size of parcel?

Hot Damn. Love it.

Are they serious about fall groundbreaking? How is this different than everything else that has failed since the 80's? Size of parcel?

The main difference is that the tower itself is mostly over solid ground or has plenty of space to place supports between the rail line and the mass pike as well as Cambria Street.

The tower will go over the open grassy area, Cambria Street and the rail line on the western half of the parcel with the low rise being placed over the other section which will be harder to put large supports on making this a much easier project than all of the other recent air rights parcels that had the majority of each tower being suspended over the pike itself.

i7AKw8g.jpg

The main difference is that the tower itself is mostly over solid ground or has plenty of space to place supports between the rail line and the mass pike as well as Cambria Street.

The tower will go over the open grassy area, Cambria Street and the rail line on the western half of the parcel with the low rise being placed over the other section which will be harder to put large supports on making this a much easier project than all of the other recent air rights parcels that had the majority of each tower being suspended over the pike itself.

Wish they could have done something similar for the Fenway/Kenmore parcels instead of letting the developer get away with only the terra firma phase of the development and no decking over the pike.

Back