Canopy by Hilton (née Haymarket Hotel) | Blackstone St | Parcel 9 | Greenway

Re: Parcel 9 - The Greenway

I'm with Shep on this.

If it has to be a museum, make it a pavillion of the Peabody-Essex and an affirmation that Boston is an outward-looking city, not one simply obsessed with itself.

New York's history museums (yes, two are duplicative and unnecessary) at least have material that you can't find anywhere else in the city. It's a good point that musea already exist to highlight most of what would be shown here.

Want to prove that Boston is cosmopolitan and innovative? Show, don't tell.

CZ-- this place -- however geographically defined -- can be the true hub or HUB of the Knowledge Economy -- if properly supported -- not only are we going to get the best and the brightest students (we already do) we can get the best and the brightest of all ages -- it can almost be dare I say it

well why not John Winthrop already did: "“For we must consider that we shall be a city upon a hill. The eyes of all people are upon us, so that if we shall deal falsely with our God in this work we have undertaken, and so cause Him to withdraw His present help from us, we shall be made a story and a byword through the world.”

Hub of the Solar System -- City on a Hill -- Knowledge Economy Capital -- sounds like we could use a museum to help tell the story

Why didn't they just say Irish, or swamp yankee instead of blue blood?

I think this roster of exhibits (the original post, not Westie's bizarre exposition) would be about as boring, provincial, condescending and intellectually vacant as anything I could possibly imagine - and I just floated ideas in my head like a Kardashian Museum and the Boston Museum still came out far behind it.

Anyone interested in innovation can go to the science museum or the MIT museum.

Anyone interested in sports can go to Fenway.

Nobody is interested in our local politics. Nobody. And if they are, that's what the JFK library is for.

As for Boston's "people" ... hmmm ... not sure how a tourist might see these without the help of a museum. Or, wait...
I'm not saying you're wrong, but couldn't a Boston museum drive people to some of the locations you've suggested? You put something in a central location that serves to get people excited about all the interesting things this city has to offer, then direct them to more detailed pursuits of the same. It's like a flyer that is meant to drive people to a website.

The museum is a taste of what can be found exploring Boston -- now go forth and discover!

^ That would be fine, but done appropriately that would be a pavilion like the Harbor Islands has on the Greenway. I'd be happy to dedicate a bit of Quincy Market to such a pavilion. But, a multi-story museum? What's the point? Anyway, I wouldn't trust these people with any type of design... these are the ones who originally proposed a suspension bridge over the Greenway. This effort lacks taste, originality, and any sort of pressing need.

^ That is awesome.

CZ-- this place -- however geographically defined -- can be the true hub or HUB of the Knowledge Economy -- if properly supported -- not only are we going to get the best and the brightest students (we already do) we can get the best and the brightest of all ages -- it can almost be dare I say it

well why not John Winthrop already did: "“For we must consider that we shall be a city upon a hill. The eyes of all people are upon us, so that if we shall deal falsely with our God in this work we have undertaken, and so cause Him to withdraw His present help from us, we shall be made a story and a byword through the world.”

Hub of the Solar System -- City on a Hill -- Knowledge Economy Capital -- sounds like we could use a museum to help tell the story

What the hell does this mean? Sorry, whighlander, but this idea sounds as mealy-mouthed as a Menino speech on the "Innovation District".

Why didn't they just say Irish, or swamp yankee instead of blue blood?

As the progeny of swamp Yankees and lace curtain Irish I say who gives a shit. The whole ethnic thing is boring. Might as well build an animatronic "Cheers" while we are at it.

How about a museum of burlesque and sailors' amusements instead?

Haven't seen these other renderings before... from the BBJ
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...s-bid-on-greenway-parcel.html?s=image_gallery

0326-Blackstone-Rose-Kennedy-Greenway-parcel-9-rendering-2-550.jpg

^ DeNormandie apartment proposal [very unlike the other rendering of this, amirite?]

0326-Normandy-Rose-Kennedy-Greenway-Parcel-9-rendering-2-550.jpg

^ Normandy Hotel

0326-Upton-Rose-Kennedy-Greenway-Parcel-9-Rendering-2-315.jpg

^ Upton apartment building

And of course, my beloved Boston History Museum, whose picture I couldn't link to - but looks the same as everything else we've seen.

In these renderings, they all look ghastly. I liked the original DeNormandie proposal I had seen, not sure what happened with that.

Holy landscrapers, Batman! The Upton is the least offensive in its massing.

Last one is ok. The others look like hotels at Heathrow Airport.

What is that red block upchucking the ice cube supposed to be? I just threw up in my mouth. Vomitous.

Good Skybox:
Picture11-2.png

k47, Vienna, Austria - Henke und Schreieck

Bad skybox:

Haven't seen these other renderings before... from the BBJ
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...s-bid-on-greenway-parcel.html?s=image_gallery

0326-Blackstone-Rose-Kennedy-Greenway-parcel-9-rendering-2-550.jpg

^ DeNormandie apartment proposal [very unlike the other rendering of this, amirite?]

^ Normandy Hotel

0326-Upton-Rose-Kennedy-Greenway-Parcel-9-Rendering-2-315.jpg

^ Upton apartment building

And of course, my beloved Boston History Museum, whose picture I couldn't link to - but looks the same as everything else we've seen.

In these renderings, they all look ghastly. I liked the original DeNormandie proposal I had seen, not sure what happened with that.

The Upton is the only decent looking one. That means it will be the only one that doesn't happen.

The Upton is the only decent looking one. That means it will be the only one that doesn't happen.

I hope that the Upton doesn't happen -- it would kill the marketplace

You can't put apartments on top of the Haymarket without there being continuous conflict between the people living there and the people trying to make a living there

People paying thousands of dollars per month are not going to want to wade through the 3rd world on a regular basis -- this is not India

You can't put apartments on top of the Haymarket without there being continuous conflict between the people living there and the people trying to make a living there

People paying thousands of dollars per month are not going to want to wade through the 3rd world on a regular basis -- this is not India

Umm... there's clearly a street/park-side which residents would use. It looks to be filled with lively cafes and shops hopefully. Looks very European.

Umm... there's clearly a street/park-side which residents would use. It looks to be filled with lively cafes and shops hopefully. Looks very European.

Ah -- I get it -- the design takes advantage of Haymarket's favella effect to force the residents to use the Greenway

Very European in conception and also in its subtle mailed fist in the velvet glove

Ah -- I get it -- the design takes advantage of Haymarket's favella effect to force the residents to use the Greenway

Very European in conception and also in its subtle mailed fist in the velvet glove

???

If anything, it brings life to the Greenway with cafes and retail facing it, not facing away like every other development.

From an earlier post - these are different perspectives.

From the Herald,

ec3afb_032412MUSEUM2.jpg

DeNormandie (apartments, mixed use)

0119a0_032412MUSEUM3.jpg

Upton (apartments)

30c593_032412MUSEUM1.jpg

Mormandy (a hotel)

Remember also that DeNormandie's proposal, while looking craptacular in the most recent rendering, also integrates fantastically with the rest of the Blackstone Block and creates an indoor-outdoor market with a covered Blackstone Street concept.

Data, I get Westie's point here (although his subsequent posts seem to become disconnected from reality) - luxe apartments and Haymarket won't mix. The vendors are already very adamant about this and I agree with their concern.

Then when the ritzy folk don't want them, prices come down to the point where people actually rent them, and those will be people more likely to use the market.

Then when the ritzy folk don't want them, prices come down to the point where people actually rent them, and those will be people more likely to use the market.

Lol, I was just writing this exact post. Why do they have to be luxury apartments? Why does everyone assume "luxury" as soon as the word "apartments" is thrown around in Boston?

Back