Canopy by Hilton (née Haymarket Hotel) | Blackstone St | Parcel 9 | Greenway

Re: Parcel 9 - The Greenway

Does anyone know what they are going to do with the tour bus situation here? This stretch is where tour buses park currently...it'd be nice for them to be elsewhere (and the hotel renders seem to indicate a change)...but they must be putting them somewhere else?

Those old renders hurt my eyes. I believe those renders are from the FU school of architecture. I am surprised they didn't render the trees white just to make it look like it would fit in.

Absolutely agreed. The building was ugly. I do wish they'd incorporate the signage in the new design though.

The Massachusetts Historical Commission is throwing a fit about the height in relation to the Blackstone Block & Faneuil Hall: http://northendwaterfront.com/2015/...el-9-design-as-too-high-for-blackstone-block/

Interestingly the Waterfront Development Council actually approved the project 7-1: http://northendwaterfront.com/2014/11/haymarket-hotel-updates-building-plan-at-parcel-9-video/

Also in that article are new renders:
haymarket-hotel-parcel-9-greenway-1.jpg

haymarket-hotel-parcel-9-greenway-back1.jpg
Now this is a hotel. It would have better complemented Blackstone by contrasting it instead of the mousey homage to Route 128 that is going up.

Yesss!!!! This is one of the final gaps in the streetwall on the downtown side of the greenway. Having an empty dirt/grass lot right on the edge of downtown next to the greenway has been a huge missed opportunity, kind of embarrassing too. This is awesome Ive been waiting for this since it was proposed.

More brick and glass on the greenway and a filled in streetwall? Yes please!

Screen-Shot-2018-03-20-at-11.05.30-PM.png

Yep, this one would've been exciting:

Instead they went with the safe and boring Harvard Square option.

It would be nice to insert some street level retail into the ground floor of the ugly garage across North Street from the new hotel. Leave enough interior ramp space for car access to the upper parking levels.

Damnit.. This is a catalyst and a key parcel towards tying this part of the greenway together. Hopefully soon.

Yep, this one would've been exciting:

Instead they went with the safe and boring Harvard Square option.

It is safe but I think the brick will fill in this area perfect. That along with the black facade with a glass ground level should fit in but look modern as well. I dont think that awhite facade fits with the area at all. This will look like its always been there which imo is a good thing. Its going to be a very engaging space too.
31dfdce5-3eaa-40ba-853d-11d3c0a2f6a8

This looks like a more interesting design, while keeping with the pallette, but I think its going to be fine.
hanover-street-view.jpg

Blackstone Street reconstruction is part of the Parcel 9 project. The developer is required to rebuild Blackstone Street as a condition of the BPDA’s approval of the project. My understanding is that they are completing the street prior to beginning construction of the building. The fact that the street reconstruction has commenced means the project is a go. Since the street reconstruction is part of the project, technically the project is under construction.

Nice, good to know. Although it only seems like fencing and possible staging so far. This is one project Im looking forward to the most right now.

Im really looking forward to this. The more and more the empty lots lining the greenway are filled the better. All of the new developments going in have engaging street levels too.

Its going to be awesome when the greenway is completely lined on both sides with an engaging street wall and an even more matured greenway. This is really the last large gap left on this side of the greenway. I hope they revisit ideas for filling in the on/off ramp parcels on the greenway too, to finally get this area near completion.

been not u/c so long i forgot what parcel it was.

(also)
55 India St,
that boutique hotel across from Bullfinch Triangle...
and did that little mallette in the North End ever get u/c?

been not u/c so long i forgot what parcel it was.

(also)
55 India St,
that boutique hotel across from Bullfinch Triangle...
and did that little mallette in the North End ever get u/c?

No, No, & No.

^^There's also the
Harbor Garage,
Hook Lobster,
Dock Square Garage
51 High Street (w/ actually more potential than 360').
the vacant lot next to the Callahan Tunnel entrance,
and the step up to the GCG w/ the 3 mid-rises & the 3 highrises.
it potentially fills in (someday).
decades? What's the big deal? Get on with it already.
Nice, good to know. Although it only seems like fencing and possible staging so far. This is one project Im looking forward to the most right now.

Yea this is one of the last parcels on this side of the greenway. Really after that you have the garage next door and 55 india.

I deleted the picture by accident but this site is barricaded off and looked like it may be starting soon?

Back