Canopy by Hilton (née Haymarket Hotel) | Blackstone St | Parcel 9 | Greenway

Does any portion of this sit on top of the tunnels?

Not the CAT per se, but its over a couple exit ramps. One to the callahan tunnel and one that empties out to ground level on the next greenway parcel. You can follow the curve on maps.

Exit to ground level.

Then if you look at the right trench and imagine how youd exit right of the CAT and under this parcel then curve and line up to the tunnel you can see that too.

- - Edit, I just checked on maps and its actually shown on there too.

The yellow parts are uncovered roads. The tunnel on the left is in an open air trench and the top is the exit ramp. The green upside down triangle on the right is parcel 9.

Last edited:
20200823_120057.jpg

^^^Literally drove past this a couple hours ago and was surprised to see it this far along. Only downside is it's going to block the Union Oyster House sign from much of the Greenway. Small price to pay to make this area feel like less of an open wasteland.

Now that its above ground it should go up really fast, its only a couple floors tall.. 6 plus mech screen. It has 2 floors poured, so its 1/3 of the way done lol.

This development was absolutely perfect for the area. Nice infill. Good amount of tourists (Could be up to 500 a night when fully booked!) Its scaled appropriately and fills in the messiness of this square. And it will help out the restaurants/businesses in the area by topping off the area with a steady flow of tourists/business people. Its canopy too. So they will definitely be eating out.

This is also the appropriate scale for that Boston City lot on Cross St @ Fulton St. -- it needs to be developed as a decent gateway to the North End
perhaps just a bit taller say 11 or 12 stories in the corner furthest from the park and closest to Fulton & Cross corner

1612206813119.png

Mostly im a yimby. Sometimes i'm a nimby. Haymarket has a lot of nice memories for me. And it kinda gave a feeling of permanence/continuity because it had a lot of nice memories for my mom too. (ditto filenes basement.) This project makes me sad . . . I know haymarket will still be there . . . in some part . . . admittedly havent been there lately . . . maybe its the same . . .

Hydro, I know exactly how you feel - so many good memories with my mom and my grandmother, as well! (Don't get me started on Filene's. Another Boston institution gone.) I think this project, however, may be a good addition. Good scale, material, signage, finishes the block in many ways. I'm hopeful with this one, a rarity these days...

What I miss, and what you may also agree with - I like the patina of time that sometimes verges on the - hope do I say it? - the visual and aromatic? It assaulted your senses. I loved it. Walking through the mess of stands and activity when I was a wide-eyed kid still conjures happy memories.

Haymarket is still very much alive and kicking. I believe it will still occupy the stretch down Blackstone, now just with a nicer streetwall to enclose it. Much better than the no-man's land patch of grass, or more recently a messy parking lot.

I think what I will miss here is the clear view of the back of all the old buildings, and the Union Oyster House sign. It's basically replacing the view of a few different historical buildings with one newer monolith, blocking any sign of activity behind it. At least, that's how I felt when I was assessing it from a red light on Atlantic Avenue across the Greenway.

Haymarket is still very much alive and kicking. I believe it will still occupy the stretch down Blackstone, now just with a nicer streetwall to enclose it. Much better than the no-man's land patch of grass, or more recently a messy parking lot.
Back to the Future! Haymarket is getting back what it lost when the street was stripped on one side to build the central artery.

Back