Canvas - Mixed Use Tower (old Felt location) | 533 Washington St | Downtown Crossing

Oh those comments are so good. So so so so good. My favorite part is that whenever there is a pro-development commenter, people accuse them of being a spy for a developer, or on the take somehow.

Are any of you guys Tosh33? He's very, very popular on that site.

He's posted here before. I forget whether he used a different name or what, but someone has acknowledged on AB that they are Tosh33.

*edit*
It's Odurandina.

i took a good whooping yesterday from the Globe nimby/s. i responded to one of my critics with an editorial on new story comparing Boston to San Francisco which is often done ad nauseum on City Data;

i used part from an old edit from last winter... scribbling it as quickly as i could before i clean up and head over to City Hall.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...se/fJw0ao3zBV21z5FbD9XC5J/story.html#comments

Oh, and check out this fine post from 'Parks Lover...' i brought up Bill McCabe because he's the most solid, visionary, absolutely incredible human being i've ever known (i'm understating). Nice response i got.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...estate-firm/VYeGgppKf7vk4GilCDaNUL/story.html

Yea, ParksLover appears to be one of the main harassers on that site. Funny that he called you a "geezer with foggy thinking"...geezers usually aren't too pro-development as far as I know.

And yet they manage to write in complete sentences with proper grammar, punctuation, and formatting. Try using a period.

Underground -- Didn't anyone learn you not to start a sentence with AND

OK -- Let's get back to discussing: the building; the DTX; the suroundings; its impact on shaddows; its impact on NIMBY's; etc. -- We can then relegate the comments about the skill or lack there-of in communicating via the written word to some other place.

giphy.gif

I consider this a win.

The "pencil tower" here was never going to happen. The existing building is a quality one, it just needs a little TLC; a renovation and one floor addition will be just that. The ground floor restaurant and upstairs co-working space will be a great use for this site and this building.

I'd much rather see tenants move in and the space be activated than watch such a prime location sit vacant in development hell for years.

So sad we're keeping a pleasant and interesting facade, reactivating a portion of the street and not building a glass and steel monument to the rich with a private lobby nobody is allowed to use and is dead most of the day.

Can you specify where you read that 171 Tremont is no longer happening? Is this one in the same?

So sad we're keeping a pleasant and interesting facade, reactivating a portion of the street and not building a glass and steel monument to the rich with a private lobby nobody is allowed to use and is dead most of the day.

IIRC, developer not only wanted to preserve the existing Felt facade, but also wanted to include a 2-story restaurant, 2-3 additional floors of innovation office space, and then the residential tower... + 0 parking.

It was an excellent, ambitious proposal, particularly of note because the developer is only 28 years old. I was inspired, anyway.

Eh, other projects by Rafi Properties have had good renderings and turned out not so great. See 124-126 Salem Street for instance. I'd rather a developer with a better track record and more experience.

IIRC, developer not only wanted to preserve the existing Felt facade, but also wanted to include a 2-story restaurant, 2-3 additional floors of innovation office space, and then the residential tower... + 0 parking.

It was an excellent, ambitious proposal, particularly of note because the developer is only 28 years old. I was inspired, anyway.

My constructive take:

Boston needs outsiders / creative / ambitious / think-outside-the-box developers to break the monotony of this city's insider's club development scene of the past...oh...century.

That said, this proposal probably was never going to fly. Yet I appreciated its attempt.

Take-away: I hope that Rafi Properties learns from this, builds more experience about the Boston scene, then proposes something even better somewhere else in this city. In a sense, I'm rooting for this developer to not leave, but to stay, and try to break in with a great project.

Not sure what to make of this but the Felt location has been marked by the Fire Department with the White on Red X of Death (dangerous structure, no entry). I wonder if the current owner's plan is to let this thing rot into oblivion?

Kinda surprised it's been given this designation so quickly... there must be some interesting interior structural decomposition since it's only been closed for a few years.

Back