Cape Cod Rail, Bridges and Highways

While it is certainly more aesthetically pleasing, the suicide fencing on the existing bridge looks like a more effective barrier than depicted on this render.

This is bait.

So you are OK spending a bill+ so Karen can get home from her beach house slightly easier? Cuz that's what this is really about.

I'm sure there are plenty of projects that could be done with this money that will have a lasting value long after the Boomers are dead.

So you are OK spending a bill+ so Karen can get home from her beach house slightly easier? Cuz that's what this is really about.

I'm sure there are plenty of projects that could be done with this money that will have a lasting value long after the Boomers are dead.
This is just like a couple months ago when you flung out a totally vibes-based assertion that the Cape is de-populating into a ghost town and was unworthy of the investment, then did a cut-and-run when the evidence piled up against that. You have a chronic habit on this board of flinging out utter bullshit made-up facts, then changing the subject or running for the hills when called out on it, then coming back after the heat is down to repeat the same bullshit. Don't think for one second we aren't onto such a disingenuous posting pattern.

Either you start substantiating these whopper claims with something real, or it's just trollbait.

This is just like a couple months ago when you flung out a totally vibes-based assertion that the Cape is de-populating into a ghost town and was unworthy of the investment, then did a cut-and-run when the evidence piled up against that. You have a chronic habit on this board of flinging out utter bullshit made-up facts, then changing the subject or running for the hills when called out on it, then coming back after the heat is down to repeat the same bullshit. Don't think for one second we aren't onto such a disingenuous posting pattern.

Either you start substantiating these whopper claims with something real, or it's just trollbait.

Everything you said here is true.

Even so, while the Cape isn’t depopulating, it’s important to note that it has the highest median age of any county in the northeast (55). With relatively few people under the age of 35 residing on the Cape, and more residents over 80 than under 10, its population will only be sustained if Millenials move there as they reach middle age and older.

Even so, while the Cape isn’t depopulating, it’s important to note that it has the highest median age of any county in the northeast (55). With relatively few people under the age of 35 residing on the Cape, and more residents over 80 than under 10, its population will only be sustained if Millenials move there as they reach middle age and older.
I can't see the Cape losing much, if any, population over the next few decades and beyond. It is a prime location, a beautiful area by the ocean and beaches, close to the major population centers of the northeast corridor. I'm just not seeing the depopulation scenario for this.

There will be no shortage of Gen Xers and Millennials retiring from their well paying tech/bio/biotech jobs and getting a house on the cape, don't worry.

Not under 35 (but under 55), and now a primarily Cape resident who also works quite a bit in Boston. Also I like data sources. Check out https://datacapecod.org/

Population - not insignificant, and full-time residents have a tough time between the economic necessity of tourists and their relationship with non-contributing part-timers.
Traffic - 40k trips per day in the off season on a 100 year old bridge is dangerous.
Real estate transactions - depends on the town, but previously it was 50:50 on locals vs 2nd homeowners. COVID numbers have NOT settled, however there was an interesting survey of people like me - who moved when my primary workplace wasn't necessarily the driver of my home.

1721161765354.png
1721161902442.png

1721162173226.png

Last edited:

I have full faith in the housing market to take care of this.

Slightly off-topic here, but I think this conversation about the Cape's demographics points to increasing needs for public transit and other means of non-car travel, both within the Cape and connecting it to other parts of the state. With a significantly older population that's expected to age overtime, more residents there will inevitably become unfit for driving.

Not under 35 (but under 55), and now a primarily Cape resident who also works quite a bit in Boston. Also I like data sources. Check out https://datacapecod.org/

Population - not insignificant, and full-time residents have a tough time between the economic necessity of tourists and their relationship with non-contributing part-timers.
Traffic - 40k trips per day in the off season on a 100 year old bridge is dangerous.
Real estate transactions - depends on the town, but previously it was 50:50 on locals vs 2nd homeowners. COVID numbers have NOT settled, however there was an interesting survey of people like me - who moved when my primary workplace wasn't necessarily the driver of my home...

Thanks for bringing some facts to the discussion. ;)

I think you are seeing things in your head that just aren't true.

It's not just the depopulation either. It's a bridge that traffic is not really a problem 9 months out of the year. The only real reason to do this now is to make it easier for Karen to get home 8-9 times a year. That's really it.

I can't see the Cape losing much, if any, population over the next few decades and beyond. It is a prime location, a beautiful area by the ocean and beaches, close to the major population centers of the northeast corridor. I'm just not seeing the depopulation scenario for this.

It's too far from Boston for commuting purposes. (People do it, but it's a bad idea). I expect that WFH won't last, and those that moved to the Cape for WFH purposes will eventually be forced to leave.

There will be no shortage of Gen Xers and Millennials retiring from their well paying tech/bio/biotech jobs and getting a house on the cape, don't worry.

I think part of it is that I also expect the % of people who will retire will plummet.

I think you are seeing things in your head that just aren't true.

It's not just the depopulation either. It's a bridge that traffic is not really a problem 9 months out of the year. The only real reason to do this now is to make it easier for Karen to get home 8-9 times a year. That's really it.

It's too far from Boston for commuting purposes. (People do it, but it's a bad idea). I expect that WFH won't last, and those that moved to the Cape for WFH purposes will eventually be forced to leave.

I think part of it is that I also expect the % of people who will retire will plummet.
Depopulation? Proven wrong.
Traffic non-existent most of the year? Proven wrong.
WFH not lasting or being a driving reason for the population MOVING TO the cape? Proven wrong

Haha pretty bold to call others "Karen" - aren't they the ones who make a fuss using completely unsubstantiated and biased assertions?

Haha pretty bold to call others "Karen" - aren't they the ones who make a fuss using completely unsubstantiated and biased assertions?
It's a sexist term that's demeaning as hell to women. This poster thinks he's winning an argument by invoking that; in reality he's really just showing his own ass for all. While proving the original charge that there's no facts whatsoever informing these constantly-repeated hottakes.

Now, now, it's about more than that. Karen's maid and the restaurant workers crucial to her lifestyle need the bridge to enable their two hour commutes in her service. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Believe what you want. I have (aging) relatives on the Cape, I know what I am talking about.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

No, you don't. Clearly.

Regarding the year-round population of the Cape, you certainly do not know what you're talking about. A former Cape resident, the information Vagabond posted aligns with what I know of today's community. I remain in contact with many friends I grew up with on the Cape. Most are blue collar or middle class. They all work for a living and have frequent need to cross the canal year round.

And bridge traffic? As Vagabond pointed out this evening, it is an issue nearly year-round, not just tourist season. Part of the problem is the increasing annual maintenance work required off-season to keep the 89-year-old canal highway bridges safe.

And WFH, which I see in your posts you frequently diss, is not going away, however much you wish. I relocated closer to Boston years ago for my career in IT. Today, I work from home most days. If I still had a home on the Cape, I'd be working there, and would make the drive across the canal as necessary to the office. I suspect there are many on the Cape who have similar jobs in various professions where they don't not need to travel to an office off-Cape five days a week.

Believe what you want. I have (aging) relatives on the Cape, I know what I am talking about.
You seem to regard older people as some kind of virus. So what if the demographic on the Cape currently skews to older? How does that make a bridge replacement less necessary? Once the Boomers "die off" as you put it, others will take their place. The free market will adjust the housing costs up or down as needed, and the housing units will be filled up. Do you seriously think that a place as desirable as the Cape will become a ghost town? Come on.

Back