Center for Student Services @ BU |100 Bay State Rd | Back Bay

Re: B.U. East Campus Center (100 Bay State Rd)

This building is a bit of a train wreck. The lowrise portion of Bay State Rd. is a cartoonish mess, but I see what they were trying to do in imitating the rhythm of historic townhouses. I give them a C for effort. But that highrise portion behind is so cheap-looking and devoid of depth and detail that it looks like the windows are punched out of cardboard. All the articulation that was shown in the original renderings is gone, and all we're left with is a conspicuously value-engineered series of intersecting boxes. A simple cornice could have worked wonders. I give them a D for that.

Those timid, brise-soleil on the glass box are driving me crazy. One of the fundamentals of architecture is go big/bold or don't do it at all. I almost wish the whole building (or maybe just the south side) was wrapped in those brise-soleil because it would at least give the facade depth.

None of the windows have the proper depth to keep out the high, ~80 deg altitude summer sun anyways.

It's ok, but maybe the reason the back of the building is ass-like is that something will eventually get built on that side blocking it's view.

Looks better than it did a few months ago in the last set of pics....

Must see in person.

RE: Depth. The first renders ahd depth, it was removed.

In 20 years it won't get a second glance. The trees will be taller, the brick just that mellower, the lot behind it built upon.

Then it will be judged a success.

8291855022_0eddbcd5d1_b.jpg

I think I like what they were going for... ...but the end result is utter shit. Too much blank dead space on the bottom levels. And the top levels, too, but that doesn't bother me as much.

don't be too concerned with that side, that parking lot is the next to go.

Its better than the ass end of the Province Street tower.

Too much blank dead space on the bottom levels.

But this is not a street frontage. It's the back of the building, whose front is on Bay State Road.

I may have missed something, but according to the BU IMP there are no immediate plans for the Deerfield lot pictured above. Did I miss something, is there something definite in the works for this parking lot?
There will be, eventually. BU hasn't yet decided what it will be, and thus it is not in an IMP.

An office building with ground floor retail is the only good option for that parking lot.

Why not an academic building or a dorm?

This building is a bit of a train wreck. ... I give them a D for that.

Definitely not a train wreck. Doesn't fit well but that's not everything. Not an A but I'd give them a strong B for effort.

From yesterday

IMG_2915.jpg

Back