Center for Student Services @ BU |100 Bay State Rd | Back Bay

Re: B.U. East Campus Center (100 Bay State Rd)

Damn, can't believe that trend has been around for so long already. I suppose it started out slowly, but has really picked up steam in the last 3 years or so (much to my chagrin).

BU owns almost this entire street. What BU doesn't own are a few MIT fraternity and coop houses. (I lived at 111 Bay State when I attended MIT.) The one house that BU demolished was not old or historic enough to be protected. So there's nobody around to protest, really.

A few of the houses across from Myles are still privately owned. Lots of drs, based on the mailboxes.

It looks pretty good from this angle. Nobody was ever going to be fooled into thinking that the "rowhouse" section was historic, but I think they do a decent job of bridging the actual rowhouse wall to the more modern building that emerges in the background.

7193858382_91cb789f04_b.jpg

Irony? Palladio would want to rise from his grave and kill himself all over again over this building.

WTF does Palladio have to do with this disaster?

^ agreed...why is Palladio being dragged into this?

And whighlander, I'm once again asking that you not quote from posts directly above yours. It's annoying to have to look at the same picture twice in a row, and we all can figure out that if you don't include a quote in your post that you're responding to the one above yours. This is basic discussion forum etiquette.

^ ...why is Palladio being dragged into this?

Anagram for "O pallid"?

(In fairness, like it or hate it, it isn't palid!)

Last edited:

The upper portion of the building looks like a rendering in that photo (North Side)!

Last edited:

Despite the fact that it doesn't fit with the rest of Bay State Road (i know they tried?) it actually looks good.

^ Strange sky at the time. The thunder storms were approaching.

Yeah, I'd give it a B-. It's good infill for sure but still kind of plastic looking.

^ I agree it's plasticky, and I think a large part of that is due to the curiously dark shade of orange brick they chose. It looks like someone digitally turned its saturation value up way too high. On its own I don't mind it, but next to all its older, urbane neighbors it sticks out like a sore thumb. And I doubt that color will mellow very much with age.

^ Strange sky at the time. The thunder storms were approaching.

Very weird lighting, especially in that first picture. At first I thought you had gone way overboard editing the brightness and contrast, but now I see it was mother nature.

Detroit had/has a lot of yellow brick buildings. They just don't look as good as red, it fits in nice with the whole post-accoplyptic vibe out there, but it just has a feeling of a pollution stain to it.

Today:

7517577996_0946ef0a86_b.jpg

7517575980_a0e66e8205_b.jpg

7517560490_a33c965ea2_b.jpg

7517562770_f3403c224a_b.jpg

7517564856_432a21c3c9_b.jpg

7517566894_6260330c85_b.jpg

7517569136_18ee9bffb1_b.jpg

7517573772_ffe379a5ca_b.jpg

Half of the parking lot fronting onto Kenmore is torn up...what's the story?

7517570766_129eaf18ac_b.jpg

7517572252_08fa6524f1_b.jpg

Back