Center for Student Services @ BU |100 Bay State Rd | Back Bay

Re: B.U. East Campus Center (100 Bay State Rd)

Incomplete is what it looks like to me. I'm assuming there is finish work left to be done?

I feel like I need to take a shower after seeing that photo.

I dig it. Lots of interesting details, great massing.

Lots of interesting details, great massing.

3oxa88.jpg

It just looks bare... It's missing something. I know this isn't happening, but I wish they could just plop some brise soleil over all those windows to give the facade at least some depth and dimension.

The photograph seems a very confusing jumble without clarifying depth, detail and proportion. The brain (my brain anyway) can't resolve the shapes that my eyes see.

Maybe it just doesn't photograph well.

Honestly... it's very Adolf Loos. Neo-Loos?? Unadorned and bare. Perhaps some flower boxes will do? ;-)

OK, I didn't buy the Otto Wagner comparison, because he was still working with classical order but with Jugendstil applique. Loos...maybe the corner a bit, or if you called for a harling surface finish it might look a little like Macintosh. But I think you'd have to tint the lower harling darker than the stuff on the upper stories. And it wouldn't fit in, so you'd have to start over...

OK, I didn't buy the Otto Wagner comparison, because he was still working with classical order but with Jugendstil applique. Loos...maybe the corner a bit, or if you called for a harling surface finish it might look a little like Macintosh. But I think you'd have to tint the lower harling darker than the stuff on the upper stories. And it wouldn't fit in, so you'd have to start over...

Wagner was a mistake. Too much architecture in Vienna.

It's cool. I only wish it were true! A style that didn't make much of a dent locally.

Dont worry guys, the bland architecture is a great price to pay to give students less and more inconvenient dining options.

Is this actually a finished façade, though? There's still scaffolding.

Is this actually a finished façade, though? There's still scaffolding.

I would say the facing installation is 95% - 100% complete. This is an additional view looking from the east along Bay State Road which shows a little more definition.
7158451668_206268bc29_c.jpg
[/url]
BU Student Services Boston 5/6 by snagshead67, on Flickr[/IMG]

BU finally has a vomitorium.

It appears that they also cheaped out on the windows too. Note on the renderings, some of the smaller windows featured a portion with a horizontal mullion (breaking it into a Mondrian-esque form), instead of only vertical like we see here.

The lack of depth at the window openings kills this building. The facade has no shadow lines beyond those created by the flashed relieving angles. This looks more like a very cheap late 1950s to early 1960s building than something built in the 21st century.

Back