Charles River Skatepark | East Cambridge

Re: Charles River Skatepark

Is this starting? Because a couple days ago I saw three people putting a banner up on the fence. And today (Friday morning) I saw a surveyor checking out the skate park's plot.

Where's the skatepark
Hank Phillippi Ryan, WHDH-TV

Now a story you’ll see on just one station: “Where’s the skate park?” Hank first asked that question back in 2010 to a Massachusetts nonprofit group which raised big bucks to build a state of the art skate board arena. Now it’s 2013 and there’s still no park, but the group is still taking donations. Hank investigates.

“That’s all I have to say right now, thank you very much,” said Reneta von Tscharner of the Charles River Conservancy.

Why is this woman backing away from our questions? It’s because of this: not what you’re seeing, but what you’re not seeing.

The woman, Renata von Tscharner, had promised an empty lot in Cambridge, just under the Zakim Bridge, would be turned into a big, fancy skateboard park.

Her nonprofit, the Charles River Conservancy, started fundraising for it in 2003 and the park was supposed to be awesome. It would have ramps, rails, a large bowl, and a wave pipe, and if you knew what that meant, you were amped.

At least $2.5(million) in donations poured in. Skateboarders were told it would be ready in 2006, then 2008, and then “by the end of 2009.” But in 2010, all we found was an empty lot with construction debris and a sign. So, where was the skate park? Three years ago, that’s what we asked von Tscharner.

“When you do expect this park to open? You’ve raised millions of dollars for it. What is the answer? asked hank.

“I don’t know. Projects in the public realm take a while and I think all skater have to learn all things don’t happen overnight,” said von Tscharner.

Well, lots of overnights went by as they hashed out concerns over land rights and park administration and even the soil itself, which turned out to be contaminated.

Meanwhile, this skateboarder, for instance, who was six years old when the promises began, is now sixteen and still waiting!

“There was a promise that they should have kept, and they didn’t” said James.

Skate forward to 2013, we found land issues and soil problems are essentially resolved, so now where’s the skate park? When von Tscharner would not agree to an on camera interview and stopped answering our calls and email, we went to her Cambridge office, asking: “When is the real time that this skate park will open?”

“I don’t know, I don’t know. It will happen when everything is ready,” von Tscharner replied.

So what isn’t ready? Von Tscharner told us they still need a contractor to build the skate park and they’re just now putting the project for bid.

“When do you even expect to break ground?” asked Hank.

“I can’t tell you that, but it will be soon,” replied von Tscharner.

“Do you understand that “soon” and “I don’t know” is a concern for people who have donated millions of dollars to this?” asked Hank.

“Um, I have donated a lot of time and I’m concerned. I’m working on it every day so that’s all I can tell you. Yep, all right. Thank you for coming and that’s all I have to say,” replied von Tscharner.

But their website has more to say. It shows the Conservancy is still raising money for the nonexistent skate park. Even as they refuse to say when we’ll see anything more than an empty lot. When we asked “when is it time to give the money back?” Von Tscharner would not answer.

Her story from three years ago:

Where's the skatepark?
Hank Phillippi Ryan, WHDH-TV

Where's the skate park?

This empty wasteland was supposed to be the coolest hippest skate park in all of New England.

Right here--in Cambridge under a ramp of the Zakim bridge. There's supposed to be ramps, rails, a large bowl and a wave pipe. If you know what that means--you'd be amped.

Broderick Gumpright, Orchard skate shop owner "We would love to see this!"

It was announced with much fanfare ten years ago.

A nonprofit, the Charles River Conservancy started fundraising in 2003 and spent big bucks of foundation and corporate money for this impressive state of the art design.

Renata von Tscharner, Charles River Conservancy "I believe in this park, I've worked on it for ten years, it’s going to happen."

Skateboarders were told it was supposed to be up and running by 2006, then 2008, and the current website says "we expect the park to be open to the public by the end of 2009."

But in reality its 2010 and look: there's nothing on the skate park site but garbage and construction debris and a sign. This skateboarder was invited to meetings to help plan it.

Jamie Cumming, Skateboarder "At a certain point, they just stopped calling or emailing about the monthly meeting, and then its just been radio silence."

What's the holdup? Our investigation found the park may be a victim of red tape, bureaucracy and contaminated soil even as the fundraising for it continues.

First: the land itself. We found it's still owned by the Mass Department of Transportation.

The state agency that's going to own and build the park--the Department of Conservation Resources-doesn't even have the rights to it yet!

Rick Sullivan, DCR Commissioner "That should happen, um, I’ll say soon, and your gonna say when and I don’t have a date for you, but it is gonna happen."

What's more, we have learned this site once used as staging for the big dig is probably contaminated.

Officials admit: they found this area right beside the proposed park is full of asbestos. DCR officials haven't tested the skate park site yet--but assume there is a problem there, too.

Hank "So you expect that soil to be contaminated?"

Rick Sullivan, DCR Commissioner: "I think it’s a pretty fair assumption."

The cleanup will cost millions.

Rick Sullivan, DCR Commissioner "Before we bring in any kind of recreational use we are going to remediate those soils or do construction to the best standards."

And who's even in charge here? No one knows who's going to build the park.

No one knows who's going to run the park. There's not even a document from the state guaranteeing the park will exist.

Rick Sullivan, DCR Commissioner "The question being was there anything written in place for the last decade, the answer to that is no."

What is working, is the fundraising. The Charles River Skate Park website shows more than 2.5 million dollars has already been donated to the cause, from big time foundations and corporate donors. And look at the sign.. and the website--they’re still soliciting money.

Hank: When do you expect this park to open, you've raised millions of dollars for it. What's the answer?

Renata von Tscharner, Charles River Conservancy “I don't know. Projects in the public realm take a while and I think all skaters have to learn all things don’t happen overnight.”

We wondered what would happen to all that donated money if the park NEVER gets built? Officials insisted that was so unlikely they wouldn't even answer the question.

I truly feel bad for these kids who have been lied to for years and years then yelled at to go skate somewhere else. Ten years is unacceptable and someone needs to answer these questions or lose their job.

Jesus, give the skateboarders one hundredth of that $2.5 mil and they'd have a plywood palace worthy of anything on the west coast up and running in no time.

How long can they sit on this money before it becomes fundraising fraud?

What they are doing is despicable and I completely agree that 5 skater friends could build a whole sick skatepark with nothing more than a few trips to the Home Depot.

The whole history of this (still proposed) skate park is scandalous. Where's the accountability? It's nice that a TV station does a little filler story about it every 3 years or so, but the local press should have been all over this. This project really should have been taken from the CRC years ago, their ineptitude was apparent almost right off the bat.

Jesus, give the skateboarders one hundredth of that $2.5 mil and they'd have a plywood palace worthy of anything on the west coast up and running in no time.

Perhaps we can find Reneta von Tscharner's home address and have this plywood palace build on her front lawn?

In middle school we (4 of us) built a couple half pipes, quarter pipes, ramps and rails in a couple weeks very cheaply. In the order of a hundredth of a percent of the money. It wasn't anything huge, and certainly wasn't up to code, but it suited a half-dozen people at a time. There's my old-man (not really) input on the matter.

In middle school we (4 of us) built a couple half pipes, quarter pipes, ramps and rails in a couple weeks very cheaply. In the order of a hundredth of a percent of the money. It wasn't anything huge, and certainly wasn't up to code, but it suited a half-dozen people at a time. There's my old-man (not really) input on the matter.

But the children could get hurt! Hammers and nails and splinters, oh my!

Don't know the chairwoman, don't know the reasons for the failure to launch. One thing I found from the 990 forms filed by the Conservancy is that she works for free - no pay, in other words. I think that reflects well on her but then you could make the case that someone who doesn't have a vested interest in being successful doesn't have any incentive to do so.

Double-edged sword.

Don't know the chairwoman, don't know the reasons for the failure to launch. One thing I found from the 990 forms filed by the Conservancy is that she works for free - no pay, in other words. I think that reflects well on her but then you could make the case that someone who doesn't have a vested interest in being successful doesn't have any incentive to do so.

Double-edged sword.

There are plenty of other people in this city that want to see this get finished, pay or not. Can Renata and bring someone else on who cares about this city.

Sounds like this might actually happen. Given the number of agencies still reviewing the plans though, it might still be a while. From the Charles River Conservancy website:

September 2013
With permitting finalized by the Cambridge Conservation Commission, the skate park design team has now completed the 100% draft design and construction documents, which are currently under review by various state agencies including MassDEP, DCR, MWRA, MassDOT, and MBTA.

August 15, 2013
Cambridge Conservation Commission issues Order of Conditions for the skate park site.

June 24, 2013
Cambridge Conservation Commission reviewed Notice of Intent (Charles River Skate Park – DEP File #123-249: Stormwater Management and Discharge to the Charles River) and voted to issue an Order of Conditions for the project.

It should be illegal to fine skaters or to put up no skating signs on anything until this is built. There is a makeshift skatepark in JP on the southwest corridor that got permitting and has become a haven for skaters with only a few months of work. It gets more use than any other area of the park in this section (including the playgrounds). It went from completely unused to packed. This shouldn't be any more complicated, just build it.

not my picture, only one i find online. They have since built another concrete ramp.
fancylad-final.jpg

^I run by that all the time. It's nice to see that hole finally being used!

This shouldn't be any more complicated, just build it.

A camel is a horse built by committee.

That kinda applies here. The JP park could end up being more popular than the "real park" built (maybe) by "experts" who have taken ten years (so far) to get almost nowhere.

A camel is a horse built by committee.

That kinda applies here. The JP park could end up being more popular than the "real park" built (maybe) by "experts" who have taken ten years (so far) to get almost nowhere.

Exactly, with things like these people in offices should not be involved if they just gave skaters the land to do as they please 10 years ago it'd probably be one of the best skateparks in the country by now.

“The project is coming along well and is going through a final design review by the relevant agencies and stakeholder groups,” von Tscharner said. “The construction documents for the bidders should be finalized within the next month or so.”

von Tscharner said they were receiving the final design documents this week, which will then be reviewed by the Department of Recreation and Conservation (DCR), which owns the land. After DCR reviews the plans, the contracts will go out to bid, von Tscharner said. She was hesitant to give a new timeframe for construction because she said, “I’ve been wrong before.”

Read more: http://www.wickedlocal.com/cambridg...ark-nearing-final-design-review#ixzz2lPry6yFB
Follow us: @cambridgechron on Twitter | CambridgeChronicle on Facebook

http://www.wickedlocal.com/cambridg...mbridge-skatepark-nearing-final-design-review

There's another recent story covering the travails in the Dig several weeks ago.

SKATE PARK FABLES
Posted on November 7, 2013 by DAVID EISENBERG

The story of the Charles River Skate Park starts back in Ancient Greece with Aesop, and more specifically, his fable of The Tortoise and the Hare. You know how it goes. Slow and steady wins the race.

Two thousand or so years later, in Massachusetts, a local sculptor named Nancy Schön figured Aesop’s lesson could serve as a muse to those running the Boston Marathon. And so in Copley Square, Schön’s bronze sculpture poses history’s cockiest rabbit like it’s ready to explode through its spring-loaded stance, almost as if acknowledging that he is doomed to eat the dust of the turtle crawling comfortably ahead.

Schön’s sculpture, as it were, has also inspired a different breed of athlete. Over the years, skateboarders have incorporated the attraction into their infinite concrete playground, or at least they did until it soon became another off-limit spot ripe for riding. While she was upset about kids skating on her sculpture, Schön also empathized. Seen as a nuisance–or worse, a threat to public safety–skateboarders had no place to call their own.

The sculptor knew that change was needed. Thus, the idea for a skate park was born. This was more than 10 years ago.

From Charles River Conservancy site. Bids are due next week:

December 10, 2013
Today, with 100% design and construction documents complete, CRC issued an “invitation to bid” to contractors for the skate park! Contractors will submit bids to the Conservancy on January 13, 2014 and an award for the project will be made on or around January 27. Click here to view the feature plan of the skate park plaza.

Back