Charlestown Infill and Small Developments

Yeah - all I can see is a little red X with all these renderings - any idea why? Judging by the reactions, I'm not missing much - but the Hood plant (in that area) and the Mezzo Design Lofts (neighboring) are interesting developments and I'm curious how these fit in.

Google Street View is an awesome tool for exploring neighborhoods on your computer! I've been "driving" around this neighborhood and all I can say is that anything improves upon this barren stretch of parking and warehouses.

Charlestown Police Station:

DSC01076.jpg

DSC01077.jpg

Looks very 1950's Vegas. I don't know if it will look any better when the blue and yellow insulation boards get covered up.

Looks like a good place to order a burger and a milkshake. LOL

Don't get my hopes up talking about In and Out!

How about this as an idea for Sullivan Square...rebuild the freakin overpass so all the traffic from 93 doesn't have to go through the lights. Every single day it's the same thing...brain dead people from New Hampshire merging to the middle lane with no signal (the preferred option) or failing to merge right and then taking a right on to Rutherford Ave from the far left lane. The overpass was a good idea and should still be there. The thing was destroyed, for sure, but it's purpose was valid.

As far as the developments, I think it's kinda funny how much heat they're taking. I mean, as a photographer I live for abused war-zone looking areas, and I love the beat up looking areas around the city because it reminds me of a Boston not as plagued by yuppies. At the same time, though, let's be honest. Sullivan Square can be described as an eyesore at BEST. If I lived in the community I would gleefully accept a precast monolith to try and get rid of what's there. Waiting for someone to actually build something architecturally decent is in all likelyhood pointless, and could wind up with some modern-art disaster thats worse than what's there.

The problem with Sullivan sq is the same problem with City Square- they are squares only in name. Like the Southie Waterfront they would benefit from a defining locality and are instead rambling and baseless.

http://www.charlestownbridge.com/#ST3331

By Dan Murphy of the Charlestown Bridge.

The Massachusetts Turnpike Authority issued a Request for Proposals for Central Area North Area Parcels 3 and 6 in Charlestown last month.
According to the RFP, Parcel 3 is an approximately 42,900 square foot, triangular plot located along Route 1 between Putnam and Chestnut streets and Parcel 6 is an approximately 5,000 square foot, rectangular plot at the corner of City Square, Rutherford Avenue and Harvard Street.
Development rights for Parcels 3 and 6 are for being offered for ?long-term ground leases,? the RFP states. (The MassPike has already entered into leases for CANA Parcels 1, 2 and 4). MassPike said it would entertain developers? proposals for one or both parcels.
MassPike has scheduled a pre-submission meeting and site tour of the parcels today, April 3, at 10 a.m. All proposals are due at the MassPike?s offices at the State Transportation Building in Boston by Wednesday, May 7, at noon and must be accompanied by a $25,000 submission deposit for each parcel.
Upon notification of selection, developers will have 90 days to negotiate a development agreement and lease with the Highway Department. The development agreement and terms of the lease will be executed after review and comment by the Metropolitan Highway System Advisory Board and only on approval of the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority board of directors.
MassPike can?t execute a lease until the completion of a Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act review, which includes an advisory opinion from the state?s Secretary of the Executive Office of Environmental Affairs.
The design and construction plans of the selected developers will be subject to ongoing review by MassPike.
A total of six parcels and City Square Park were created during the MassPike?s CANA Project, which ?rebuilt the approaches to the Tobin Bridge and portions of the new interchange between Route 1 and I-93,? the RFP states. As part of the construction, the elevated bridge and Charlestown access connections were removed and reconstructed below grade at City Square. The project was completed in 1997, and the newly created parcels were deeded to the MassPike board for lease or sale he following year.
To obtain a copy of the RFP at no charge, email a request to realestate@masspike.com or send a letter via the U.S. Postal Service to: Stephen Hines, Chief Development Officer, Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, 10 Pak Plaza, Suite 4160, Boston, MA 02116, Attn: CANA Parcels 3 & 6 RFP.

I was wondering what was going on with those plots. Parcel 6 would be perfect for a slim tower, something like a great place for a landmark, something that would define City Sq. It's a shame that that will probably never happen.

I was wondering what was going on with those plots. Parcel 6 would be perfect for a slim tower, something like a great place for a landmark, something that would define City Sq. It's a shame that that will probably never happen.
At 5,000 sq ft you cant have a tower, slim or otherwise, because there would be no parking to speak of.

Chalestown Bridge article seems to be confused about where Parcel 3 is.

I was taking the T today past BHCC and there seems to be a gigantic lot cleared out, fenced off with some construction equipment there and guys moving about. They seem to have taken a chunk out of a hillside aswell. I never heard of any plans to add another wing to the school. Anyone know what's up? It isn't the lofts is it?

I was taking the T today past BHCC and there seems to be a gigantic lot cleared out, fenced off with some construction equipment there and guys moving about. They seem to have taken a chunk out of a hillside aswell. I never heard of any plans to add another wing to the school. Anyone know what's up? It isn't the lofts is it?

It's a new health and wellness center.

http://charlestownbridge.com/archive/news_db/20080612/20080612.html#ST3532

Bunker Hill Community College broke ground Tuesday for a 48,000-square-foot Health and Wellness Center, the first new building on the Charlestown campus in 30 years, Mary L. Fifield, BHCC president, announced. The new building will house state-of-the-art classrooms and laboratories supporting students majoring in nurse education and health professions.

?The college is committed to helping Greater Boston meet workforce needs in healthcare, a critical component of the regional economy,? said Jesse M. Thompson, executive vice president and CFO. ?Since 2003, Bunker Hill Community College?s enrollment in healthcare degree programs has nearly doubled. This project is essential to supporting that growth.?
David B. Perini, Massachusetts Commissioner of the Division of Capital Asset Management, took part in the groundbreaking, as did State Sen. Anthony D. Galluccio, State Rep. Eugene L. O?Flaherty and former State Sen. Jarrett T. Barrios, who is now head the Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Massachusetts Foundation.

The new structure, at a cost of $22.7 million, will provide additional faculty and administrative offices, a gymnasium and a fitness center. Engineered to take advantage of natural light, conserve water and reduce energy requirements for heating and cooling, the building will meet requirements for LEED Silver Certification.

Ginjitsuman and BostonMike, thanks for digging this up.

Pretty unfortunate, IMO:
BHCC_health_wellness_center.jpg

Back