Charlestown Infill and Small Developments

I didn't think BHCC can get any uglier but damn they proved me wrong. Just looking at it makes me sick.

yesterday
121-4.jpg
drive by

Banker & Tradesman - January 11, 2010
BRA May Nix Permits For Charlestown Condo Project

By Paul McMorrow

Banker & Tradesman Staff Writer

01/11/10

The Boston Redevelopment Authority is preparing to yank development permits from a stalled 85-unit residential project in Boston's Charlestown neighborhood.

According to a draft agenda for tomorrow evening's BRA board meeting, the authority is seeking to pull an LLC controlled by New York developer Martin Oliner off Pier 5, a 3.8-acre waterfront parcel situated in the Charlestown Navy Yard.

Oliner and the BRA battled in court over several Navy Yard parcels in the early part of the decade. Since late 2004, he has been permitted to build a five-story building containing 85 condominiums and 10,000 square feet of retail.

Boston's luxury condo boom came and went without any action on the pier's aging pilings, which abut the Flagship Wharf luxury condo development and feature sweeping views of the city skyline.

If the de-designation is approved, the parcel will go out to bid again.

sullivansquare.png

Very, very rough. Did it in paint as just something to spring off of.

Basically, deck over Rt 99 from the bridge until some point near Community College.

what plan is this from, and what do the colors mean? What current businesses or industry would this displace?

It's my plan. The best plan!

Brown is commercial and/or residential. Yellow is industry/commercial. Green is parks/plazas/whatever. Orange is MBTA properties.

This would displace everyone in the area through eminent domain, but they will not receive reimbursement. They will be jailed for life if they show any signs of revolt or NIMBYism.

Ok, not really. But this does displace some non-residential places to the south of the square.

http://www.cityofboston.gov/transportation/rutherford/

Rutherford Avenue / Sullivan Square Design Project

The scope of design work for this project is to prepare a preliminary roadway design for the Rutherford Avenue Corridor and for Sullivan Square. The design will focus on developing a pedestrian friendly environment with safe crossings and better access to parks and Orange Line stations; routing regional traffic away from the corridor and creating neighborhood scale streets; providing links to the regional bicycle network; creating parcels for development and open space; and developing a phased implementation plan.

^ I thought the same thing also! Anyone know if this was ever developed or always vacant?

A lot of urban Charlestown disappeared along with or just after the West End and Scollay Square, and the anticipated Orange Line relocation was particularly corrosive. The vasty spaces of Government Center pointed clearly to the future.

What parts of urban Charlestown were torn down, and what was put up in their place? I thought Bunker Hill Community College was built on old rail yards or industrial area.

Isn't that parking lot landfill? Those house in the background is where the shore line used to be, or that's what I thought.

Back