Charlestown Infill and Small Developments

Yes it is a stick built structure and wood structures of that size have significant challenges. IBC allows for structures of this size with appropriate fire rated assemblies and full sprinkler coverage. Construction costs are still lower with wood than other materials largely on a labor basis.

Isn't wood frame cheaper on a materials basis not a labor basis? Done correctly steel beams/columns arrive on site the correct size and only need to be welded/bolted together. Lumber needs to be cut to size on site.

Union vs. non-union labor. Avoiding job site conflicts between union and non-union labor. Cost of having different trades on site vs. having carpenters do everything. Etc.

Is it common for a job to have both union and non-union labor working on it?

Not common .. but it happens. Some construction managers insist on it.

cca

Union vs. non-union labor. Avoiding job site conflicts between union and non-union labor. Cost of having different trades on site vs. having carpenters do everything. Etc.

Still not following. It's not like the Iron Workers will just roll over if it's a steel building.

EDIT: Just looked at latest union labor rates and it looks like Iron Workers make a couple bucks an hour less than carpenters. Is that what you mean?

The fewer trades on a job site the cheaper the project usually is.

This shitshow reminded me of the above discussion

8493438563_2e111a5e23_b.jpg

From: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=142650&page=151

You know serious R&D is going into making a 20 floor wood building.

I think Warren Green will turn out very nice and do wonders to hide that corner of Charlestown from the highway.

Thanks for all the updates BeeLine.

Hey look! A Paul Revere amusement park. Can't wait to take a spin on the "Midnight Ride" I'm sure it will be awe...wait...what? You're kidding?

I can't tell at this point if you're trolling me or I'm trolling you....

You're suggesting we should have done something cutting edge at the foot of Bunker Hill ... on the Freedom Trail ... at the entrance to Charlestown ... to replace historic structures that were torn down for a highway?

Your credibility slid for me when you defended Tremont on the Common as a "gem of modernism" or some such comment...

Back