Charlestown Infill and Small Developments

That's frigging insane. No rail transit, abutting a highway, built in a parking lot. Don't get me wrong, the building looks great inside...but those prices seem way too high...

From the developer's POV, if they sell at that price, it's not too high... hopefully they DON'T sell...

The orange line is directly next to it...so is the 92 bus line.

Totally forgot about the Orange Line stop nearby...my bad

That certainly makes it better, but it still seems very expensive to me.

Same owners as the Kensington...a relative bargain comparatively

Same owners as the Kensington...a relative bargain comparatively

I haven't been paying attention to home/apt prices to be honest. Are they really asking that much at The Kensington?

I haven't been paying attention to home/apt prices to be honest. Are they really asking that much at The Kensington?

I have the apartment rate sheet right in front of me for The Kensington.

Open one bedroom/one bathroom - 553sq-940sq = $2,720-$7,490/mo
One bedroom/one bathroom - 578sq-843sq = $3,085-$8,050/mo
One bedroom + den/one bathroom - 767sq-831sq = $3,560-$7,895/mo
Two bedrooms/two bathrooms - 970sq-1,294sq = $4,485-$9,260/mo
Two bedrooms + den/two bathrooms - 1,558sq = $10,645/mo

These are as of July 17th.
Also, garage parking spot is $425/mo, pet rent is $55/mo for cats, $80/mo for dogs.

I did a walk-through of Warren Green a few weeks back with the team. Nice finishes, kind of cramped spaces and some quirks, but the pricing is intense - starting at $859,000 for the 1,670 sf model.

$515/square foot for new construction/renovation in Boston is very normal. Intense might be twice that amount.

I have the apartment rate sheet right in front of me for The Kensington.

Open one bedroom/one bathroom - 553sq-940sq = $2,720-$7,490/mo
One bedroom/one bathroom - 578sq-843sq = $3,085-$8,050/mo
One bedroom + den/one bathroom - 767sq-831sq = $3,560-$7,895/mo
Two bedrooms/two bathrooms - 970sq-1,294sq = $4,485-$9,260/mo
Two bedrooms + den/two bathrooms - 1,558sq = $10,645/mo

These are as of July 17th.
Also, garage parking spot is $425/mo, pet rent is $55/mo for cats, $80/mo for dogs.

They'll be able to rent those high square footage/high priced units?! Ten Grand a month?! How many people are left in that market to buy/rent? They must be internationals.

Also... pet rent? Is that a normal thing I just haven't ever encountered?

From: http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...ino-announces-new-projects-moving-forward-14/

"New Housing Approved in Charlestown"

Total Project Cost: $5 million
Total SF: 56,770 SF
Housing Units: 30 total units, 4 affordable units

The BRA Board unanimously approved new housing for an underutilized Charlestown lot. The project, located at 30 Polk Street, will feature a mix of units to house Boston families.

The $5 million development will include 30 rental units, including 5 one-bedrooms, 22 two-bedrooms, and 3 three-bedroom units. The 56,770 square foot project will also include 4 affordable units and 34 total parking spaces with one spot reserved for ZipCar.

The development team includes developer Douglas MacDonald and architecture firm Neshamkin French Architects, Inc. Construction is slated to begin in the first quarter of 2014.

30-Polk-St-Rendering_Aug2013.jpg

Rendering look like its from Second Life.

cca

Lol, someone unchecked "Show Edges"

I kinda like the quirky, whimsical render style though. Those vector semi-transparent trees are pretty rad.

I wouldn't want that style all the time, but considering it's probably showing the project's real color palette better than the typical overwrought Neoscape fluff job I'll take it.

I like the plan, and thank you and Paulc for posting it. I would have done a few of the street alignments slightly differently, but all-in-all the plan provides pedestrian friendly, dense neighborhood development on a human scale.

Let's get the dozers revved up and build the damn thing.

Back