Chelsea Infill and Small Developments

Within the last couple of days the two halves of a double wide field site trailer and an empty dumpster have been deposited on the SW corner of the proposed FBI site. I'm guessing the legal issues with Pappas have been resolved??

I absolutely love the facade of The Flats @ 44. The rhythm and color scheme is fantastic.

What's pretty cool is that both of these developments (and the FBI, too) will be right up against the Chelsea Silver Line.

Welcome to Chelsea, the new ‘it’ zip

Welcome to Chelsea, Massachusetts.

Much has happened to Chelsea since it was placed in state receivership in 1991. But most importantly, Jay Ash happened. Chelsea’s longtime city manager — now Governor-elect Charlie Baker’s pick for housing and economic development — has presided over a remarkable change of his hometown these last 20 years.

Now Chelsea is on the move, but, quite remarkably, without leaving behind its poor people. Chelsea’s history as a gateway city is worth noting and preserving. For decades, the city has welcomed waves of immigrants, offering affordable housing nearby to Boston’s jobs. Beginning with European immigrants 100 years ago, continuing with Latinos, more recently refugees from Afghanistan and Iraq, and now those unaccompanied children who arrived here from Central America.

Today many of its residents are staying in Chelsea for work. As recently reportedby the Globe’s Shirley Leung, Chelsea received high marks from a recent look by the Dukakis Center for Urban and Regional Policy at Northeastern. The report identified “working cities” as municipalities that were above the state average for poverty and below the state average for family income. It calculated employment growth from 2001 to 2013 — the state average for this period was 0.73 percent — and found Chelsea to be the number-one fastest growing “working city” at nearly 11 percent.

Within this tiny city of 1.8 square miles is an unprecedented level of development over the last two decades. Thirty-three major projects have been developed, as well as what will eventually be a total of six hotels. New parks, sidewalks, and roadways dot the landscape. A $100 million FBI headquarters is set to open in 2016. Over half a million square feet of new commercial development and a 10 percent increase of the residential base are planned. The relocation of the commuter rail next to new Silver Line connections by the Mystic Mall will set the stage for a thriving mixed-use marketplace on the scale of Somerville’s Assembly Row.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...sea-new-zip/yA8togbr4webxxz3XiJP7K/story.html

From yesterday.

FBI bldg.
Foundation in, so we should steel soon. They have installed a double fence, topped with barbed wire, around the site. I'll not be walking around this site taking photos because I figure some big burly G-Person will put the strong arm of the law on me.

dont be intimidated - stand up for your rights!

From yesterday.

They have installed a double fence, topped with barbed wire, around the site. I'll not be walking around this site taking photos because I figure some big burly G-Person will put the strong arm of the law on me.

Beeline -- at least use discretion if you are planning on lifting some of the fancy security stuff that they will undoubtedly be installing :)

The relocation of the commuter rail next to new Silver Line connections by the Mystic Mall will set the stage for a thriving mixed-use marketplace on the scale of Somerville’s Assembly Row.

The Mystic Mall has a long way to go before it's even appraching Assembly Row. It's already been redeveloped. Are there are any "big plans" to redevelop it into something like Assembly Row, or is this just hyperbole on the part of the author?

I suppose it shouldn't be surprising that the construction fence surrounding the FBI building is topped with barbed wire.

I haven't followed this in forever but does this mean they are moving out of the JFK building at GC?

I haven't followed this in forever but does this mean they are moving out of the JFK building at GC?

They actually haven't been in the JFK building for 20 years. The FBI is currently in Center Plaza.

UHub comment thread:
da feds
By John-W on Mon, 03/09/2015 - 1:42pm
There's more than the FBI down there. Immigration is in that building and as far as I know they aren't moving to Chelsea. Ditto Department of Labor and Social Security Admin. Must be a few others in there... When he was playing Senator didn't Scott Brown have his office in there too? If so, does that mean Warren is now in there or does she get digs somewhere else?

Boston FBI HQ
By Michael Kerpan on Mon, 03/09/2015 - 2:13pm
Not in the JFK Building for almost 20 years. Since the mid-90s, it has across the street at One Center Plaza.

Yeah, they took a hint from a new
By gotdatwmd on Tue, 03/10/2015 - 3:22pm
Yeah, they took a hint from a lot of MA state offices for the Chelsea move. So much less expense and a lot more space. Ever been in the FBI Offices? It's a maze of narrow hallways and gigantic conference rooms of space that can't be used efficiently because of the weird shape of Center. Glad they're making the move but, ugh. Chelsea.

Off the top of my head, there
By Amy (not verified) on Mon, 03/09/2015 - 2:52pm
Off the top of my head, there is the VA, Social Security, Medicare, IRS, and possibly Senator Warren's office.

http://www.universalhub.com/2015/what-would-you-do-city-hall-plaza-and-no-just

Vale Street Plans Detail Transformative Project, Demo of Chelsea Clock

The City’s Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) is preparing to begin reviewing a gigantic development of 455 units in five buildings on Everett Avenue that would include the demolition of the historic Chelsea Clock Building.

The plans were filed with the City on Feb. 12 by Thibealt Development LLC, controlled by William Thibeault – owner of Wood Waste just over the line in Everett. He is being represented by Attorney Anthony Rossi. Neither returned communications from the Record immediately to comment on the transformative project – known simply as Residences at Chelsea Lofts.

The majority of the area is now used for scrap yards or heavy industry. Chelsea Clock has mostly moved out of its old building and occupies a newly renovated space on Second Street.

A review by the ZBA is set up for April 14 at 6 p.m. in City Hall.

The project would begin with phase one and the first building, which would include tearing down the old Chelsea Clock building and constructing a four-story building fronting the street and across from Chelsea High School.

That building would contain 72 units situated above 14,700 sq. ft. of street level retail space.

It would be the only aspect of the project with retail space, and – like the rest of the project – would include at-grade parking on the first level.

Building two on Vale and Carter Streets would contain 84 units in five stories. Building 3 would be behind Building 1 nearer to Vale Street and would contain 96 units in four stories.

In the center of the development would be an amenities podium with areas for recreation for residents.

There would be no public areas in the development.

The first phase is targeted to be completed fully within five years of a building permit.

Phase 2 would include two buildings on the other side of Vale Street.

Building 4 would have 84 units in four stories, while the final Building 5 would have 116 units in four stories.

All parking would be at-grade again, and the project would be slated for completion three years after the completion of Phase 1.

There will be a total development parking allotment of 522 spaces, with 43 commercial spaces for the retail component.

Some 77 percent of the overall units will be Studios (63) or one-bedrooms (287), with 22 percent of the units being two-bedrooms (102). All of the units would be rental apartments.

There was no cost estimate yet, as the plans are still very preliminary.

In cursory reviews, City officials commented in the record that there are concerns about flooding in the area and about plans to refurbish the streets and sidewalks in the vicinity.

http://www.chelsearecord.com/2015/0...transformative-project-demo-of-chelsea-clock/

Back