Children's Hospital Addition | Binney St | LMA | Fenway

briv

Reaction score
Children's Hospital hopes to begin construction on a new building early next year.

From an article in this week's Boston Courant:

childrens_hospital_expansion.jpg

Jim Cronin said:
Children's Hospital Planning Expansion.
by Jim Cronin
Courant News Writer

Children's Hospital officials hope to break ground for a 120,OOO-square-foot Binney Street addition in March.

The building, which will likely cost $75 to $90 million, will allow the hospital to expand its emergency room services and radiology department, and add inpatient beds.

The lO-story addition is needed for a medical center that has seen a yearly average increase in visits of 5 percent to the hospital and its emergency room, said Charles Weinstein, vice president of real estate and planning development.

"We have continuing demands for pediatric beds here," and numbers of ER visits and surgical procedures continue to rise each year, Weinstein said.

According to its website, Children's records approximately 22,600 inpatient admissions each year, and its 204 specialized clinical programs schedule more than 527,500 visits annually. The hospital performs 23,000 surgical procedures and 170,000 radiological examinations every year.

At 152 feet tall, and with a 1O,000-square-foot footprint, with each floor adding approximately 10,000 square feet of new space, "It's very modest," Weinstein said. "It's very simple, very sleek."

Weinstein said hospital officials hope to receive final approvals for the project from the Boston Redevelopment Authority in January, and the city's Zoning Commission in Februay. If all goes well, the building will be finished and occupied by the summer of 2013, he said. The building itself will probably cost $75 to $90 million, but project costs will total more than $100 million.

"There was nothing unusual about it," said Fredericka Veikley, a Fenway resident and active Fenway Civic Association member, about a recent presentation of the project to the community. "I think it was pretty well known and accepted ahead of time. There was nothing surprising."

The 396-bed Children's Hospital Boston is one of the largest pediatric medical centers in the United States, offering health care services for children from birth through 21 years of age.

The hospital's Clinical staff includes approximately 963 active medical and dental staff, 897 residents and fellows, 1,570 nursing and clinical personnel, and 5,200 other employees, as well as more than 800 volunteers.

Re: Children's Hospital Addition

Is this replacing anything?

Directly across the street from DFCI's main entrance on Binney St.

Just a question, but would you really want a building at Children's Hospital to look this forbidding and death-star like? I mean for the love of all things Children, make it at least look welcoming...

I would crap my pants if I was a kid and had to walk into that beast.

It's essentially the W Hotel with Alucobond to glass ratio inverted.

This is not a new main entrance. It is a small parcel on Binney Street. The ground level glass looks well enough for a hospital.

I see what you are saying though--the Arnold Palmer Hospital for Women and Children in Orlando built a new massive addition clearly catering to the client?le:

100_3629.JPG

This is not a new main entrance. It is a small parcel on Binney Street. The ground level glass looks well enough for a hospital.

I see what you are saying though--the Arnold Palmer Hospital for Women and Children in Orlando built a new massive addition clearly catering to the client?le:

Exactly. The new CHB building looks like they just got caught up in the Longwood property owners game of "my futuristic bunker like medical building can look worse than your futuristic bunker like medical building."

The preliminary design team should be removed from the project. It's awful.

100_3629.JPG

YUK! Completely car dependent.

To be fair, the main entrance to Children's is decent. It feels open and less forbidding than many clinical facilities I've visited.

The Orlando example above looks like a John Portman building, circa 1980.

I see the amusement park theme has begun to inspire the rest of Orlando's architecture. Is that a little Epcot Dome bubbling out of the tower complex?

Perhaps an Orlando style is emerging -- good for them.

From the Children's Hospital March Faculty News Letter:

Binney Street Makeover Begins
This summer we'll break ground on one of the most difficult expansion projects in the hospital's history, as a narrow 10-story, 121,000 square foot structure is added on to the Berthiaume building (aka the Main building). Amazingly, says Charles Weinstein, Esq., vice president of Real Estate, Planning and Development, the structure will stand on a space only slightly larger than a baseball diamond and will connect seamlessly to Main on all floors. Access to the ambulance service area will be maintained during construction.

This much-needed space will give our inpatient units a bit of breathing room, allowing some existing double-occupancy rooms to be turned into single-occupancy rooms while allowing for future addition of new beds. Expanded facilities for Pharmacy, Surgery and Neuroimaging are in the plan, as well as a multi-story internal courtyard, which will provide natural light to all floors and a relaxing gathering place for patient families.

The bottom two floors will be dedicated to Radiology, the Emergency Department- which will more than double in size and gain eight new observation beds- and an expanded, 12-bed recovery area for Surgery. In addition, pedestrians will be treated to a two-story colorized light system of geometric panels with a 150-foot illuminated canopy overhead. The existing loading docks will be camouflaged by a small park and landscaped space at the end of Binney Street and Children's Way.

The design has been approved by the abutting members of MASCO, the Boston Redevelopment Authority, a city-sponsored Institutional Master Plan Task Force composed of surrounding community organizations and the Boston Civic Design Commission. Charles expects the expansion to be ready for occupancy by summer 2013.

Binney Street is in dire need of a makeover -- the Longwood Galleria building is one of the most depressing in Boston. No wonder DFCI is turning it's back to Binney in favor of a new, prominent entrance on Brookline Avenue (even if DFCI is largely to blame for Binney's condition).

Seems to me some hotel chain could come in, buy the Longwood Inn from Best Western (or whomever owns it now) and totally renovate that entire block. As you said, it sorely needs to be brought into the 21st century.

A better rendering of the 14 story Children's Hospital Expansion on Binney Street (to commence March 2011):

ScreenShot025.jpg

Yes, it will overhang the sidewalk.

That streetscape is pretty bleak. H8 architects.

Back