Children's Hospital Addition | Binney St | LMA | Fenway

Re: Children's Hospital Addition

Throw in some stores for the workers down there and it won't be so bleak.

It's a good thought, but we also need to understand the realities of these institutions. Each is a whole world unto itself, with self-contained amenities -- cafeterias, gift-shops, and so on. The truth is, clinicians just aren't going to browse Binney Street in scrubs in May, or in February. And visitors to the LMA are here for a purpose other than its retail offerings.

Retail is pretty thin on Longwood Ave (two Starbucks, a Boloco, The COOP), and there's the (disapointing and forlorn) food-court at the Longwood Galleria. A barber shop, or a dry cleaner might be a good addition, but I'd guess all the square footage in the new Children's building is likely to be devoted to patient care, good urbanism be damned.

When I used to work in the (now demolished) 454 Brookline Avenue (site of the YCCC), I often wished that there was a good bar in the neighborhood (aside from the charmless Longwood Grille). Folks tend to gravitate to Brigham Circle to tip a few after their daily toil.

Binney is pretty much a back alley; the new Children's Expansion building may help to soften things a bit, but the half dozen dumpsters, garage entrance/exit ramps, and bus drop-offs do nothing to help matters.

0729001251.jpg

Today:

5286370102_9ed6faf4c9_b.jpg

Any other Longwood projects I've missed? If so I'll swing by tomorrow!

I'm pretty sure it's still standing, but I'll double-check.

It was in the process of being demolished back in mid-November.

This is going to be one slim building. Nothing really new here, but ...

childrens_hospital_addition_1.jpg

childrens_hospital_addition_2.jpg

Still digging...

5449058291_e0900ca40a_b.jpg

Another drive-by...no reason to stop just yet:

5696188191_fa21bf9dc1_b.jpg

Looks like the space time continuum was put on pause for three months at this work site .

Shouldn't be too long before steel starts shooting up:

6041169253_f8da8d8f15_b.jpg

Damn... how does a backhoe even get in there? Do they carefully plop it in and pluck it out with a big crane?

The rendering reminds me of the Blackfan Circle building...if it turns out the same way, I think that's a good thing.

BostonUrbEx has a point, how the heck did that backhoe get there?

The excavator probably crawled in at the start. will be lifted out by a crane. They may disassemble the shovel and arm first.

The rendering reminds me of the Blackfan Circle building...if it turns out the same way, I think that's a good thing.

BostonUrbEx has a point, how the heck did that backhoe get there?

Didn't you ever read Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel? Thats actually a plot point.

^ I've got my childhood copy of that book within arms reach of my desk haha. Great book.

This is going to be one slim building. Nothing really new here, but ...

Looks like room for a curtainwall and hallway with one row of rooms -- they used to build motels like this except that the hallway was outside the rooms

It's a good thought, but we also need to understand the realities of these institutions. Each is a whole world unto itself, with self-contained amenities -- cafeterias, gift-shops, and so on. The truth is, clinicians just aren't going to browse Binney Street in scrubs in May, or in February. And visitors to the LMA are here for a purpose other than its retail offerings.

Retail is pretty thin on Longwood Ave (two Starbucks, a Boloco, The COOP), and there's the (disapointing and forlorn) food-court at the Longwood Galleria. A barber shop, or a dry cleaner might be a good addition, but I'd guess all the square footage in the new Children's building is likely to be devoted to patient care, good urbanism be damned.

When I used to work in the (now demolished) 454 Brookline Avenue (site of the YCCC), I often wished that there was a good bar in the neighborhood (aside from the charmless Longwood Grille). Folks tend to gravitate to Brigham Circle to tip a few after their daily toil.

This is a really good post. We can't really expect these hospitals to be considering how their buildings interact with street life of the area. I don't think it's too feasible to throw a bar in the bottom of Dana Farber (to quote Lucile Bluth: "This is why people hate hospitals!"). I guess it's a sacrifice we have to make in order to have arguably the greatest life sciences cluster on the planet.

Back