Children's Hospital Addition | Binney St | LMA | Fenway

Re: Children's Hospital Addition

Hospitals, Universities, convention centers and Sports complexes are the new "heavy industry" of the Knowledge Age

Few outside of Chadwick and his eponymous Leadworks have been able to make beautifull urbanity out of heavy industry -- when its at its best heavy industry is just ignorable utilitarian

I doubt that there will be much worry about how these new heavy industry places fit into the overall urban fabric -- although MIT 2030 seems to be trying

This is a really good post. We can't really expect these hospitals to be considering how their buildings interact with street life of the area. I don't think it's too feasible to throw a bar in the bottom of Dana Farber (to quote Lucile Bluth: "This is why people hate hospitals!"). I guess it's a sacrifice we have to make in order to have arguably the greatest life sciences cluster on the planet.

I get the point, but I don't agree that there is so little opportunity for retail. Of course, Hooters and nightclubs need not apply, but I can imagine that lots of hospital staff, medical educators and students, and people visiting patients would make use of gyms, barber shops, bookstores...maybe even a hardware shop. Many of them would run out on their lunchbreak/after work to pick up something they need so they don't have to commute home and run out and get it. And there are people in Fenway and parts of Brookline for whom such retail would also be convenient.

Of course, Hooters and nightclubs need not apply...

Years ago, I had the thought to create a bar and live music venue in the LMA. Call it "The Emergency Room" -- scorpion bowls served in bed pans, martinis served in in old school IV bottles. The bouncers would wear scrubs with STAPH stenciled on the back. Waitresses dressed as naughty nurses. All I need is an investor...

Years ago, I had the thought to create a bar and live music venue in the LMA. Call it "The Emergency Room" -- scorpion bowls served in bed pans, martinis served in in old school IV bottles. The bouncers would wear scrubs with STAPH stenciled on the back. Waitresses dressed as naughty nurses. All I need is an investor...

good luck with that :D

(to quote Lucile Bluth: "This is why people hate hospitals!")

Aw hell, this has nothing to do with the thread but I feel like quoting Lucille some more: "You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son-in-law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent." Take that, Tobias!

Had my first visit to the LMA proper since before Labor Day and noticed that the tower crane is up. 02124, get on it, stat.

Super Craptacular Shot Thru Windshield With EZ Pass Box:

6255797105_1c3ff73a3b_b.jpg

I know it's almost impossible to make out, but the structure is almost up to street level.

Had my first visit to the LMA proper since before Labor Day and noticed that the tower crane is up. 02124, get on it, stat.
I have them just hav'ent had time to post/fan pier crane too!

013-38.jpg
some other Longwood shots where I turned around>
009-34.jpg
010-38.jpg
008-32.jpg

The steel is about three or four floors up. (No camera, no pics). The truss-work on this building is unexpectedly interesting.

I've got ya, BB.

6421393799_f0bc4e3862_b.jpg

6421395441_e3234f7ed3_b.jpg

6421397137_c04fbdd3cd_b.jpg

I get the point, but I don't agree that there is so little opportunity for retail. Of course, Hooters and nightclubs need not apply, but I can imagine that lots of hospital staff, medical educators and students, and people visiting patients would make use of gyms, barber shops, bookstores...maybe even a hardware shop. Many of them would run out on their lunchbreak/after work to pick up something they need so they don't have to commute home and run out and get it. And there are people in Fenway and parts of Brookline for whom such retail would also be convenient.

Many of the workers in these buildings are on 12 hour/3 day shifts. They don't want to shop or go out after work, they want to go home. As for errands, they get four days off each week for that purpose. I think if there were a decent demand for retail stores or services, they would already be there, and I suspect that a hospital with store fronts would be a hospital with a fairly vacant first floor.

I love LMA, but mainly for the way so much is shoehorned into such a small amount of space. I can't really see ever wanting to spend time there, and that wouldn't change with retail. But it's great to drive through now and then.

Many of the workers in these buildings are on 12 hour/3 day shifts. They don't want to shop or go out after work, they want to go home. As for errands, they get four days off each week for that purpose. I think if there were a decent demand for retail stores or services, they would already be there, and I suspect that a hospital with store fronts would be a hospital with a fairly vacant first floor.

I love LMA, but mainly for the way so much is shoehorned into such a small amount of space. I can't really see ever wanting to spend time there, and that wouldn't change with retail. But it's great to drive through now and then.

Henry -- the young professsionals should have a nice near-by -- walk to work neighborhood to come home to after a tough, long day -- their own West End -- with density and height as is keeping with the rest of the LMA

ultimately, this core needs better transit conectivity than is provided by just the Green Line

Henry -- the young professsionals should have a nice near-by -- walk to work neighborhood to come home to after a tough, long day -- their own West End -- with density and height as is keeping with the rest of the LMA

ultimately, this core needs better transit conectivity than is provided by just the Green Line

It's called Coolidge Corner.

It's called Coolidge Corner.

Or Brookline Village, or Fenway, or (up and coming) Mission Hill. There is plenty of good walking distance housing, in a variety of proximate neighborhoods already.

How great!! It looks like they were inspired by the construction of Yawkey to spray paint some kids' names onto the beams. =)

Back