City Hall Discussion - Redevelopment - Preservation - Relocation

Re: Menino Proposes Selling City Hall

I could'nt find a thread for Goverment center or the JFK building?
008-14.jpg
<today

Indeed. Lord Vader's villa.

The competition was doomed from the start. Either way, the end result was to be a disaster.

Toronto held a competition for their city hall too and the result was one of the most elegant civic complexes ever built.

scan300%5B1%5Dcut.jpg

this one by Progressive Design Associates is incredibly interesting. the oval shape is such a departure from anything else built in the area.

Great read, thanks for sharing.

I wish people could separate their feelings for the plaza vs their feelings for City Hall itself. If the plaza wasn't such a horrible wasteland and maintained better, I wonder how people would still react toward the building?

Great read, thanks for sharing.

I wish people could separate their feelings for the plaza vs their feelings for City Hall itself. If the plaza wasn't such a horrible wasteland and maintained better, I wonder how people would still react toward the building?

I actually like the building from afar...but the ground level is hideous.

City Hall itself would be tolerable if the general area around it wasn't such a complete trainwreck.

City Hall itself would be tolerable if the general area around it wasn't such a complete trainwreck.

Exactly. If it could blend into an environment, people would like it a lot more. But it's surrounded by one of the worst public spaces on the planet.

What's interesting about both those alternates is how "inward" they are. Very closed off to visitors coming in. Exactly the wrong idea for a government building, IMHO.

The building is intolerable inside.

Nearly every public chamber and office is cold, damp, awkward, uncomfortable, disturbing. The concrete walls themselves feel like they are weeping.

I think the only fans of this building are architects.

And yes, the brick hardscaped plaza is terrible.

^^^^
Boston City Hall Looks like a PRISON

scan300%5B1%5Dcut.jpg

this one by Progressive Design Associates is incredibly interesting. the oval shape is such a departure from anything else built in the area.

That one kinda cool. It has a retro-futuristic feel (probably just futuristic feel at that time). It looks like something that could be on Star Trek. Plaza might still ruin it by all its cold winds, but it photo look cool.

After working in the building for a while I'd agree that it's pretty terrible inside. The dumbest thing is the ceilings, which are inset from the beams, which means that even with the modular office walls set up inside there is really no privacy as the sounds just go over the tops of the walls. We were all warned to be careful about what we said when a member of the public came in to review documents because there was no way to stop our conversations from spilling over the walls and into the reading room...

scan300%5B1%5Dcut.jpg

That's terrific.....influenced by Niemeyer?

Gotta join the city hall building haters. Even if the plaza was a good space, the building is straight outta Mordor.

good call...can definetely see the guggenheim in it

Back