City Hall Discussion - Redevelopment - Preservation - Relocation

Re: Menino Proposes Selling City Hall

Yes, I was pandering for attention. Apologies. This recession has been unkind to me.

I wonder if City Hall Plaza could be sold to the highest bidder. Some of it lies on top of the subway, so nothing could be built? The rest, perhaps, could be sold off.

Perhaps City Hall should be in the geographic center (or, population center?) of Boston?

I like the idea that it's in the center of "old" Boston, but where can you find enough empty space on which to build?

Aquarium Garage? Dudley Square? Maybe the same place but with different material.

^^^It looks like our leaders along with the MBTA officials have decided to go the opposite direction from upgrading & expansions for the MBTA.

Hundreds protest fare hikes, service cuts proposed by MBTA

http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrod...oposed-mbta/xd1Q77v2V8AWfQIkuaFbGI/index.html

Transit & accessibility are the keys for economic expansion in the region.
This is where our tax money should be devoted right now Massachusetts infrastructure. Then private development will start to expand.

Whatever happened to Global Warming? Wouldn't a more efficient MBTA Grid help move us to the right direction towards Global Warming.

Last edited:

What does anything in that post have to do with this thread?

Here's a question:
Is there any need to have City Hall (in Boston or anywhere else) as a standalone structure? Could the government of the city instead be located on contiguous floors of a mixed use tower?

Picture this - Boston City Hall gets demolished (please, Dear God, please) along with portions of the Plaza. The parcel is either leased out or developed by the City as large, multi use development of the manner we all hope Filene's will become. City government functions could occupy the lower level floors, and particularly scatter walk-in storefronts around the perimeter for commonly used services. These could be intermixed with leased retail. Having ground level service areas would minimize lobby/elevator/security needs.
Meanwhile, administrative offices, council chambers, could be set on fairly standard floor plates with dedicated lobby/elevators.

Above the Boston city government, with separate lobby, elevators, etc, could be market rate office or any other marketable use. If the City had lease income from developer or from tenants depending on ownership structure it could substantially reduce costs while improving services.

In my mind, the most offensive part of City Hall is the Congress Street side. A giant blank brick wall, a secure parking entrance, and some stairs waste some of the most valuable street space in the city. This is directly across from Faneuil Hall. It is the center of the Tourism economy. Stepping a structure back into the plaza and enabling activation of Congress street could be lucrative and would extend the marketplace environment.

Putting ground level services and retail around the area where there is only wind blown garbage now would serve to activate the plaza. Re-establishing one or more streets would provide access. A public space could still exist and could thrive if it was more intimate.

How 'bout it?

The thing I hate the most about city hall besides the horrid design is the complexity within. While working at a small law firm, making trips there is a nightmare. Trying to find the right window to retrieve a file requires going both up and down the stairs and then around a corner located at the corner of the floor. The fact that I'm having trouble writing directions right now shows the unnecessary complexity of the entire complex. I have trouble finding the elevators going up.

Hmm... prehaps, but getting there by T would be a bitch.

Hmm... prehaps, but getting there by T would be a bitch.

30/10 would probably fix that somehow.*

* But you still couldn't take the Subway to the Sea to the actual sea. Whomp Whomp.

Re: City Hall Plaza

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...ed-makeover/N9faEcKrpEtJNg3JO6ZgTL/story.html

Give Boston’s City Hall a much-needed makeover

SINCE IT WAS BUILT in the late 1960s, people have been talking about Boston City Hall, and not necessarily because of the business that goes on inside. Some architects consider the design a stunning example of the modern Brutalist style, but for many Bostonians it’s the building they have long loved to hate.

As a massive and complex outdoor “sculpture,” City Hall really does have its merits. But as architecture, the qualities the building communicates are not desirable metaphors for an open government: fortress-like, grim, top-heavy, ponderous, intimidating, shadowy, graceless, unwelcoming, cavernous, confusing. The list could go on.

Modeled on Le Corbusier’s monastery, Sainte-Marie de la Tourette, the building sits isolated within the plaza, lacking physical and visual connection to pedestrian and public transportation networks. Public entry points aren’t easy to find, with large brick structures of unclear purpose appearing to block people out.

There are those who would like to see the building demolished, something not likely to happen any time soon. (“It’s not in the discussions right now,” Mayor Marty Walsh told the Globe earlier this month.)

At the other extreme, preservationists say City Hall has historical importance and visual strengths that should not be tampered with. Proposals to alter the exterior have ranged from the superficial to the esoteric and hypothetical, with some practical and exciting possibilities in between.

View Gallery
Photos: Could City Hall be literally transparent?
We don’t need to tear it down.
The dream behind Boston’s forbidding Government Service Center
Alex Beam: The architect to whom one cannot remain indifferent

To satisfy those preservationists and future generations who might hold a kinder view of the building, why can’t we make changes that are easily reversible, while simultaneously acting to protect and preserve the structure? The changes should incorporate existing features and appear to be part of the original design, not an afterthought or cover-up.

Here’s one simple, obvious and cost-effective solution: Sheath the building with a tinted glass curtain wall — but not to create another modernist glass box. The sheath would progress from just below the cornice to ground level in a combination of alternating diagonal and vertical planes, progressively moving away from the building as it reaches the ground. The generally outward sloping angle of the glass would impart a feeling of greater stability, and redistribute the visual mass toward the ground.

Translucent glass would allow the original wall-surface variations to still be seen, but now softened by filtration through the glass “veil.” This way, the projecting balconies of the front and rear façade, as well as brick structures on the north and east sides, would be allowed to emerge. At street level, articulated openings would clarify entrances. Along Congress Street, the glass sheath would extend to the meridian, creating a covered “car port” for taxis and buses, and a covered pedestrian corridor along the now-barren brick wall.

Aesthetics aside, there’s also an energy-savings benefit to this concept. City Hall, with its large interior courtyard and concrete surfaces, has always been expensive to heat. Encapsulating the building in glass would create a climate-controlled, passive solar interior environment.

Feasibility studies and cost estimates would need to be done, but the cost of this proposal pales in comparison with the cost of a more invasive exterior remodeling, or a new building. And over time, the savings in heating costs would defray the expense of the project.

The building could appear luminous and crystalline, transparent, welcoming, sheltering, inclusive — all better metaphors for city government.

Big changes are underway in the Government Center area. A dramatic office tower by César Pelli and other residential high rises are proposed for the spot now occupied by that other prominent Brutalist structure, the Government Center garage. In addition, a striking new entrance to the Government Center MBTA station is in the works. Mayor Walsh has expressed openness to making changes to City Hall’s exterior, and to making City Hall plaza more inviting and user-friendly with the installation of artificial grass. As these projects go forward, it will become even more urgent and desirable to do something about City Hall’s exterior. We’re going to be looking at it for a long time.

Harry Bartnick is a professor emeritus at Suffolk University, where he taught courses in two- and three-dimensional design and fine art.

Some renderings of the idea here: http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...EtJNg3JO6ZgTL/picture.html?p1=Article_Gallery

Wow. That's impressive. They've managed to obscure all the building's strong points while solving exactly zero of it's problems. Well done.

0726Bartnick-color5.jpg

0726Bartnick-color4.jpg

I want to punch somebody in the face.

I didn't think you could actually make City Hall worse... wow. I guess someone has to be the bottom of their architectural class.

FYI: I'm going to try to separate discussions of the building from discussions of the plaza.

There will be some necessary crossover of course, but I think they should be two separate discussions.

Edit: Or I could just merge the two threads. Thoughts?

Back