Clippership Wharf | East Boston

Looks like they have moved the sales office further south and they seem to be restarting work on the fourth building, located in the SE corner of the site.

https://flic.kr/p/2bLqm8S

I think I finally get it now. The people responsible for this must've been trying to evoke the resemblance of a loading dock with stacked shipping containers of different colors.

Way to go!

Well, I hate it because it’s a development derived of cynicism. It’s built on land owned by a state agency (Massport) that has spent more than half a century doing untold damage to the quality of life and public health of East Boston and surrounding communities. It exists without any consideration of the established community. Every brick shouts “keep out” to folks who’ve lived here for generations.

hmmf....

We're shyttin' on infill now? :confused:

That's not my take at all. Then again, i didn't grow up in the Neighborhood.

i wish it could have been done with some taller sections for an appealing 'Assembly Row' look.

or straight, unremarkable, (evil) 1: 1 clone of Assembly Row.

Architecturally, it’s crap. Urbanistically, it’s crap. Economically, it’s crap.

At a recent BPDA meeting, a friend commented, with all the new commitment to “dialog” and “engagement” and “community-building” we have to ask, who’s this for? The people who’ve made their lives here, or the people who couldn’t find East Boston on a map six months ago?

Ok, i'll play.

uninspiring massing, buzz-cut planning, new construction too often not mixing well with surrounding architecture, drab claddings, stupid-as-fuck windows--not specifically pointing at any particular neighborhood/s, but current methodology for hitting numbers vs nimby obstruction/extortion did we not just get a lot of unattractive, ugly & in some instances, 'crazy' garbage all over the City?

*many mention it's like this everywhere in the US. Thus so it must be.

Architecturally, it’s crap.

Can't argue with any of that, but...

Every brick shouts “keep out” to folks who’ve lived here for generations.

[...] we have to ask, who’s this for? The people who’ve made their lives here, or the people who couldn’t find East Boston on a map six months ago?

I don't really understand this sentiment. How does this development in any way detract from the lives of the current community? How does it make anyone feel unwelcome? What is wrong with attracting new people to the area? We are discussing what was an abandoned lot on the edge of the neighborhood (though, incredibly, on the harbor and a short walk from the T).

Architecturally, it’s crap. Urbanistically, it’s crap. Economically, it’s crap.

At a recent BPDA meeting, a friend commented, with all the new commitment to “dialog” and “engagement” and “community-building” we have to ask, who’s this for? The people who’ve made their lives here, or the people who couldn’t find East Boston on a map six months ago?
Allowing hundreds more people to live in a place that is good to live in (by your own claim), while not destroying anything that already existed, at the very least can't be "economically" crap. And looking down at newcomers in East Boston is just weird. Boston needs people with new perspectives and ideas.

Allowing hundreds more people to live in a place that is good to live in (by your own claim), while not destroying anything that already existed, at the very least can't be "economically" crap.

I think the biggest problem with East Boston is that the traffic is a special kind of terrible, probably the worst in the city. It almost feels like an island of sorts, with very few ways in and out of the neighborhood and the constant nuisance of the airport traffic. Driving around here is truly a nightmare and it is totally boxed in by the surrounding harbor and airport (unlike, say, Fitchburg).

Obviously, people who live in the city should be encouraged to take public transit but I'm assuming this and other new developments are adding many more cars to the road.

The Blue Line has more spare capacity than any other line, and is much easier to upgrade (current operation 12tph, with Red-Blue and pocket tracks 20tph+ is doable). If keeping roads uncongested is a reason to keep new residents out, this conversation is unproductive. Plus, Eastie has one of the lowest car ownership rates in the city, many new residents are lower income and rely on transit, and if added cars from new developments are an issue, lower parking minimums seems like an obvious first step.

Back