Clippership Wharf | East Boston

IMG_20200926_083334.jpg
MVIMG_20200926_083632.jpg

GREAT stuff, Lrfox! I can't believe all this is happening on the East Boston Waterfront. This is fantastic. And just wait for Piers Parks 2 and 3!

I never thought I'd live to see the day that this unsung waterfront actually got the treatment it finally deserved.

It's almost Olmsteadian what the massive Harborwalk is accomplishing in turning Boston Harbor into a truly world class model.

Last edited:
From Neponset to Soldiers Field road is pretty much finished at this point on the main peninsula, but can they turn the edge of Logan to Medford (with squiggles into Chelsea Creek, Island End River and Malden River) into something of a similar coastal/shore long hike? Also the end of Charlestown along the Mystic into Medford???

A Mystic Riviera? It would be a massive many decades-long undertaking, but the skeletal structure is there and it can only help when faced with the rising climate change tidewaters (a la what they are doing with the Piers Parks)

Last edited:
This looks great. It is a shame that you can't get here from the downtown Harborwalk to the East Boston Harborwalk without going underground. A ferry service between Long Wharf or some other point downtown and Piers Park would be awesome in the warm weather months.

This looks great. It is a shame that you can't get here from the downtown Harborwalk to the East Boston Harborwalk without going underground. A ferry service between Long Wharf or some other point downtown and Piers Park would be awesome in the warm weather months.

The ICA runs a ferry between Fan Pier and Piers Park. It’s designed to connect visitors to their shipyard annex, but anyone can buy a ticket. There definitely should be something cheaper, though.

GREAT stuff, Lrfox! I can't believe all this is happening on the East Boston Waterfront. This is fantastic. And just wait for Piers Parks 2 and 3!

I never thought I'd live to see the day that this unsung waterfront actually got the treatment it finally deserved.

It's almost Olmsteadian what the massive Harborwalk is accomplishing in turning Boston Harbor into a truly world class model.

Thanks! It's really impressive what it's doing for the area. There's a small stretch in front of The Mark that's still under construction preventing this from continuing on to LoPresti park and beyond. When that's complete, it'll be a pretty solid unbroken link from right around ReelHouse to the (hopefully) soon-to-be Piers Park 2/3. It's a bummer to have to head up to Marginal to walk by the pretty rough looking vacant expanse of that future park site before heading into Piers Park which is a gem.

The Shipyard is going to be a bit of a gap for the foreseeable future I assume, but it's not a terrible spot to pass through between the ICA Watershed, Downeast Cider, KO Pies, the neon signs (Diver and Chowder King), and all of the murals (lots of new stuff as of this fall). We walk the stretch from Clippership down to the Hyatt Regency end every day. It's an incredible asset. Clipplership's section is really well done. I'm looking forward to seeing the installation of the wetland vegetation on what currently looks like a boat ramp (pictured above).

How about the Water Taxi? It's a nice pleasant enough little ride, I think.

They did a very nice job here. The cynic in me wonders how long before those loungers get pretty nasty though. At least it looks great now when new.

This side of the Harbor is turning out to be much more accessible than the convoluted downtown harborwalk. Running along the miles of the wide Baltimore Promenade is one of the best perks of that city. Would love if you were able to functionally "complete the loop" using the EB Greenway around the whole periphery - looks to be ~5 miles.

A friend and I picked up Roy’s subs and had lunch at the park here earlier today. It was awesome! Eastie’s come a long way!
View attachment 13491
View attachment 13492

Great shots! They have live music out on that little lawn by the bridge every Friday after 5. There's usually a good crowd with blankets, chairs, dinner, wine, etc.. I haven't hung around for one yet, but it looks fun.

Is there a bar there or is it pretty much BYOB?

There's no bar and I'm almost certain it's not actually legal to drink on the Harborwalk itself. However, everyone does it (mostly respectfully and discretely), and it's not illegal or even discouraged on the Clippership Wharf property (it's setup for residents to cook, eat, drink, and socialize in the spaces abutting the Harborwalk and they very much do) - much of which is hard to differentiate from the Harborwalk as it was constructed at the same time so its hard in places to tell where one ends and the other begins.

There are two "Harborwalk facing" restaurant spaces, which I believe are still "to be leased".
Incidentally the friend I was with yesterday owns/operates a boardgame cafe out of state. We both peaked into both restaurant spaces’ windows, agreeing a boardgame cafe & bar would be a slam dunk for the larger of the two spaces. The obvious concern—aside from investment capital to buildout such a concept there—are the limitations on which games could be played on all that outdoor seating: you don’t want Monopoly dollars flying into the harbor! But other than that, there honestly isn’t a better view of the harbor skyline from a retail space in Boston, and the population density of the neighborhood would more than sustain such a destination, let alone the regional gaming community and tourists. I hope LendLease isn’t being too aggressive with their desired rent for the space, especially post-pandemic.

Back