Columbus Center: RIP | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
In reality, there is not one (as in zero) construction project anywhere in this country that does not receive public subsidy. If it is accessed in some way by a public street, that's a subsidy. The range of other possible subsidies is significant, and will vary from place to place, project to project. We do not live in a society organized entirely on the basis of private property. We often pretend this is so, but it is demonstrably not. The question we need to ask, and I think this goes to John's point about non-profit tax exemption, is what utility does the project provide to society?

A warehouse or light industrial plant in a largely rural area provides minimal benefit and receives minimal subsidy. Construction in an urban environment is more expensive, but likely also providing greater social benefit. The tricky thing is finding agreement. The various NIMBYs on any project will certainly argue that the social benefit doesn't exist. If they are right, then we should cut the subsidy, but not necessarily ban the construction. If they are wrong, then some subsidy might be appropriate.

Henry -- that is quite well put

Our society is constantly trying to find a balance between too much government intervention and not quite enough government

perhaps -- way in the past -- and definitelly long before any of us were sentient beings -- there might have been too little government intervention into our lives

However -- These days the public has essentially come to the realization that we've been depending too much on the government to the detriment of operating a sustainable society (e.g. the immense Public Debt)

In the near and forseable future -- I expect to see a re-examination of what functions we really do expect -- as in jfk's -- "Ask not what your country (aka the taxpayers) can do for you, ask what you (e.g. Friends of the Public Garden, donors to the MFa, etc) can do for your country"

As far as JFK's line goes, I think too many people feel no obligation to the country or local community. And then there are those who confuse personal desires with those of the larger group (ie NIMBYs).

Responding to Mizz Kressel's quote in the Herald. She claims Copley was built on public land. The reason it was "public" was because of the turnpike extension. Prior to that, the land Copley Place sits on was a developed part of the street grid around the railbeds and from rough comparison of Bromley and the site plan, over half of it was privately owned. Therefore it became public because the public took it.*

Perhaps Mizz Kressel has a touch of the Elderlies since her strong Back Bay heritage stretches all the way back to the mid 1990's.

* Ditto for Tent City! I'd forgotten what a charming little block that must have been back in the day with hotels and residences surrounding a semiprivate Leighton park.

* Ditto for Tent City! I'd forgotten what a charming little block that must have been back in the day with hotels and residences surrounding a semiprivate Leighton park.

You can thank Daddy Druker for that

Much of Copley Place was built on land that was owned by SS Pierce, at the corner of Huntington and Dartmouth. West on Huntington was the Hotel Oxford.

SS Pierce
KL_000502_cp.jpg

Hotel Oxford, west of SS pierce.
SNAG-0055_HotelOxford.jpg

A later picture of the Hotel Oxford can be found her.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_public_library/5579837822/

Behind the SS Pierce and Hotel Oxford was a small street, Oxford Terrace, which paralleled the railroad tracks (New Haven?) and on Oxford terrace was a row of small brick row houses.

You can thank Daddy Druker for that

haha. Too bad he didn't know about shadows that face south!

Just one more observation about Mizz Kressel and then I'll leave her alone. It cracks me up that she rails against government interference, the city, the BRA and other agencies with their illegal actions or whatever (I'm generalizing, not directly quoting). Yet, it's okay for those same government bodies to exercise eminent domain, the seizure of property by the government, to produce things like the turnpike extension?

That "public land"----the green lawn inbetween the Huntington Ave exits, was a direct result of that!! The government "wasted" money and "interferred" with taxpaying property owners.

It's that I can't reconcile the conflict in her positions.

Much of Copley Place was built on land that was owned by SS Pierce, at the corner of Huntington and Dartmouth. West on Huntington was the Hotel Oxford.

SS Pierce
KL_000502_cp.jpg

Behind the SS Pierce and Hotel Oxford was a small street, Oxford Terrace, which paralleled the railroad tracks (New Haven?) and on Oxford terrace was a row of small brick row houses.

Stel -- what is the building with the prominent SH

Where is the ROW which became the Turnpike Extension in the picture

Stel -- what is the building with the prominent SH

Where is the ROW which became the Turnpike Extension in the picture

With a bit of effort on a google map street level view -- the current version of the same view is available
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Cople...l20Rzh0OkuUk5GyjnXlvQ&cbp=12,335.12,,0,-13.59

Copley Square, Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA

I'll try to answer my own ? about SH

The hotel across the Dartmouth st. from SS Pierce is apparently a Sheraton Hotel which today is the Fairmonth Copley

It looks as if the Wstin is built on the site of the SS Pierce building

The ROW of the Turnpike Extension is behind the photographer in the photo

Last edited:
THE END...............

Boston developer Arthur Winn fined $100,000 for making illegal campaign contributions
By Casey Ross, Globe Staff

Developer Arthur Winn was fined $100,000, but avoided prison time at his sentencing today in US District Court for illegally funneling thousands of dollars in campaign contributions to politicians to help get support for his ultimately failed Columbus Center development.

The sentence was far less severe than what prosecutors wanted: A $200,000 fine and six months in prison.

US Magistrate Judith G. Dein said Winn’s illegal contributions were serious crimes, but didn’t warrant jail time because Winn only pleaded guilty to a pair of misdemeanors for donations he secretly made to US representatives Michael Capuano and Stephen Lynch. Although he admitted to making $more than $64,000 in illegal contributions over eight years, most were beyond the statute of limitations or could not be prosecuted in federal court because they were made to state candidates.

Today’s sentencing brought an end to years of controversy swirling around Winn as the Columbus Center project became one of the most divisive developments in Boston’s history. Winn was charged with federal crimes because he reimbursed relatives he convinced to donate to his favored candidates, thus hiding the true source of the money -- a violation of federal law.

Before Dein announced her sentence, Winn, 72, stood and apologized for his crimes. “I broke the campaign contributions law,” he said. “I caused a great deal of hurt for my family and friends. I am ashamed to have reimbursed my family for contributions I asked them to make. I was wrong and of course if I had it to do over again, I wouldn’t have” done it.

The Moakley courthouse sentencing hearing was packed with dozens of Winn’s friends, family members and other supporters -- so many of them that the proceeding had to be moved from the initial courtroom where many onlookers would have been required to stand.

Winn left quickly afterward, but his attorney, Robert Popeo, said Dein’s ruling was fair given the facts of the case and Winn’s admissions.

“It puts to an end all the drumbeating about political corruption and influence peddling,” Popeo said. “That was never part of this case.”

Prosecutors did not comment on the ruling, but US Assistant Attorney Ryan DiSantis had argued that Winn should serve prison time for his offenses. which he called “an affront to our Democratic system.”

“Mr Winn’s crimes were deliberate, systematic and sustained over the eight years” between 2001 and 2009, DiSantis said.

The illegal contributions were made to an array of candidates at the local, state and federal levels as Winn pursued public funding for the $800 million Columbus Center project, which would have united Boston’s Back Bay and South End neighborhoods with a towering complex of condominiums, stores and a hotel. The development failed to move forward in 2007 due to financial problems in part caused by the spiraling economy.

Winn’s lawyers, R. Robert Popeo and Tracy Miner, had argued that a prison sentence for the former chairman of the WinnCompanies would be out of step with similar cases and that Winn should pay a fine of $50,000.

Winn, a long-time real estate developer primarily known for building affordable housing, began pitching Columbus Center in the late 1990s.

In addition to Lynch and Capuano, recipients of Winn’s illegal giving included former Governor Mitt Romney, US Senator John F. Kerry, US Representative Edward Markey, and disgraced state senator Dianne Wilkerson -- a major Columbus Center supporter who is serving a 3 1/2-year prison sentence on unrelated bribery charges.

None of the recipients was charged with wrongdoing.

Over his eight years of making such improper donations to politicians, Winn was successful in getting commitments for more than $60 million in state and federal assistance for Columbus Center. Because the planned project fell through, however, the money was never spent.

Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com.

COLUMBUS CENTER IS COMING BACK!

In 1997, developer Arthur Winn had lofty dreams of plopping a tower over the Mass Turnpike using air rights. The hope was that a 'high spine' could be created utilizing these air rights over the Pike, with Columbus Center potentially triggering more developments as it built over parcels 16, 17, 18, and 19 - from Clarendon St to Tremont St. The $800 million megadevelopment was set to break ground in 2006, but the project was embroiled in controversy and faced an exhausting public process. In 2010, Winn finally pulled the plug. Big time developer Millenium Partners has now announced it will take the lead and is promising to continue where Winn left off.

Anyone have a subscription to the Globe? Won't let me read the rest without paying... Hate the new site...

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/articles/2012/04/01/columbus_center_makes_comeback/?page=1

Re: COLUMBUS CENTER IS COMING BACK!

I'm no April Fool. Come on. I'm not even pressing the link.

My subscription to the Globe is paying off!

Ned Flaherty was not quoted, nor was Menino, nor any Beacon Hill legislators.

For those interested, the basic deal is that CalPers sold its controlling interest in the property to the University of Southern California, apparently at the behest of Gov. Brown. USC will be lead developer for itself and a consortium of the following universities, all of which will establish Boston campuses on the site. No details on how much square footage each gets. The other universities are Tsinghua, Nanyang Technological University, Pohang University of Science and Technology, and Kyoto University.

Apparently USC was approached because the financially-strapped state universities can't finance this. Unclear whether USC got interested because Emerson recently established a satellite campus in LaLa land, so a bit of payback?

The entire CC project will be university-used, no commercial, no retail. That preserves the tax-exempt status, though the article mentions the consortium will be negotiating with the city for PILOT payments. Apparently, the development was to be publicly announced concurrently with the commencement of JAL 787 service between Boston and Japan, but word leaked. So some details are still sketchy.

I think CalPers wound up owning the steel to span the Pike that had already been fabricated when the earlier version of the project was stopped. My guess that the previous footprint, density, and heights will be retained, and much of the original design.

So is the Berlin Wall

City of Berlin is sick of tourists asking where was the wall -- they're putting it back-up

Ich bin ein Berliner

Transnational place was approved earlier this week also

In other news, Menino also agreed to let Chiofaro finally redevelop the cruddy Aquarium Garage.

Unfortunately, Hizzonah was subsequently arrested for alleged corruption. On the plus side, while being interrogated, he revealed the location of the masterpieces stolen from the Gardner in 1990. Even Jed Perl agreed that Renzo Piano's new addition pales in comparison to Vermeer's "The Concert" and Rembrandt's "Storm on the Sea of Galilee."

Finally, the BRA was disbanded after the state Supreme Court found that its modus operandi -- employing a "rule of man" approach to zoning and ad hoc permitting of new construction projects -- was "more fit for Zimbabwe than a society of objective laws equally administered to all," to quote the ruling.

All in all, an eventful Sunday morning.

I just wanted to say that I wasn't pursuaded by this for one moment. So

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back