Columbus Center: RIP | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, the park site was not part of the Columbus Center project. Winn wanted to acquire it but Hancock refused to sell it instead committing the site to a public park/playground.

Wait, this guy owned the park?

images

Good to see they've finally blocked the site off. The crane should be rising soon, right? ....RIGHT?!

Back from the dead? Maybe!

A once controversial but now dormant development over the Massachusetts Turnpike in Boston may be stirring again.

At least two major developers are exploring the idea of reviving Columbus Center, the 10-acre megaproject from the 2000s to cover the highway between the Back Bay and the South End. These developers have separately approached the Massachusetts Department of Transportation about Columbus Center, a state official said Monday.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...-resurfaces/MqAwjORYSUQWJCzSWconkK/story.html

Re: COLUMBUS CENTER IS COMING BACK!

Hey, guess what's up?

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...-resurfaces/MqAwjORYSUQWJCzSWconkK/story.html

At least two major developers are exploring the idea of reviving Columbus Center, the 10-acre megaproject from the 2000s to cover the highway between the Back Bay and the South End. These developers have separately approached the Massachusetts Department of Transportation about Columbus Center, a state official said Monday.

It’s not clear who, exactly, is in the mix. A MassDOT spokeswoman said the agency has had “informal conversations with a couple of developers” about reopening the project, but would not identify the developers.

Yeah, that's what's up.

It was only a matter of time. Air rights over the pike are expensive but if they can do residential at 600 or 700 feet those 20 or 30 million dollar apartments at the top pay for a lot of infrastructure and grief.

I am not going back in this thread to check, but IIRC, the steel for the deck was ordered. If so, it may still be around somewhere. Maybe CalPERS owns it.

Wonder if Ned is still living there.

Before everyone gets too excited, recognize that one of the neighbors quoted in the Globe article used the word "modest" several times to qualify what type of project she'd support.

I agree with meddlepal's height economics. But it seems like this might be headed for another brutal fight with the neighbors.

Before everyone gets too excited, recognize that one of the neighbors quoted in the Globe article used the word "modest" several times to qualify what type of project she'd support.

I agree with meddlepal's height economics. But it seems like this might be headed for another brutal fight with the neighbors.

While I agree about the NIMBY neighbors, some how I feel that the new BPDA will be a lot less tolerant of nuisance interference.

At least the current trend of city officials being more likely to tell neighbors to suck it can provide some bit of optimism.

Particularly (particalularly) as some of Ned's arguments had some merit (albeit addressable at non exorbitant costs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back