Commonwealth Pier Revitalization (née Seaport WTC)| 200 Seaport Boulevard | Seaport

There ARE some tall buildings there though, in downtown & South Boston. Lots of them. Guess that the FAA became even more strict after 09-11!! But that was no accident. It was deliberate. :(

Someone who has been a member of this forum for ten years should be familiar with the frequent discussions regarding building height being constrained in certain areas of the city for safety reasons: the principal one being providing enough airspace for an airplane having an engine become inoperative after takeoff and while in the early stages of climb. It has nothing to do with 9-11.

The map can be found here.
http://www.massport.com/media/1545/boston-logan-airspace-map.pdf

51184124353_1a9dbf809e_b.jpg

Was Commonwealth Pier completely rebuilt behind the street facade when it was converted into the World Trade Center?

Was Commonwealth Pier completely rebuilt behind the street facade when it was converted into the World Trade Center?

I'd welcome being corrected by a historian/project-insider, but my strong guess is no.
The steelwork exposed during the tear-down reflects turn of the 20th century steel technology/workmanship. In particular, the truss girders and rivet-webbed columns are of that era (that said, there could be been additions/renovations here/there...but my guess is that the main structure is original).

I'd welcome being corrected by a historian/project-insider, but my strong guess is no.
The steelwork exposed during the tear-down reflects turn of the 20th century steel technology/workmanship. In particular, the truss girders and rivet-webbed columns are of that era (that said, there could be been additions/renovations here/there...but my guess is that the main structure is original).
From what I can research the entire pier and headhouse were erected in 1901, in part to accommodate the huge ocean liners of the day. The only change that I can see is the front portico that juts out on the first story was at some point opened up to create more of an arcade with more than twice the number of arches, beginning at the sides and continuing across the street side. I suppose these arches were created for more storefronts?

This is the first time I'm looking at this thread and found this great demo photo ( no credit given) on the https://www.commonwealthpier.com web site! I attended a couple ABX shows here and never once thought about where I was, over the harbor! This photo shows it all. I hope the new design incorporates some aspect that the building juts into the harbor.

photo11-scaled.jpg

Wow! Just Wow! I never expected a total gut job. So looking forward to the finished project.

New harbor walk taking shape on the Eastern side of the pier.

IMG_0944 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_0946 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_0947 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_0954 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_0955 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_0962 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_0979 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_0974 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_1000 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_0993 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_0998 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_0999 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_1005 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_1003 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

It was reskinned in the 1980s/90s but, as others have commented, the structure is the original. The historic plans are super interesting--trains going out the pier right through the front of the building. I, of course, can't find them right now.

Part of what is so interesting about the current reimagining is how they are using that structure

Back