Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, well, you can tell this belongs to a suburban mall developer.
I suspect they were never serious about the tower anyway...

I'd guess the tower approval greatly enhances the value of the property. Copley place mall already looks like a dinosaur - especially when you walk in from the Prudential Center, which does a mighty fine job imitating a European shopping arcade or a downtown streetscape. It may not be long before hte rents no longer justify keeping the mall as is...

Anyone notice how they cheaped out on the facade/windows for the hair salon and those other empty storefronts? Those were due to be replaced and they quit.

Also, does anyone know what retail is going in above the newly opened entrance? It seems like a pretty visible spot.

Forgot to post some pix I took the day it opened:

19225657_10209596597931897_8791128749056242224_n.jpg

19247871_10209596598171903_2708879429031458662_n.jpg

19225608_10209596598571913_6422025840427234556_n.jpg

19248106_10209596598971923_8684952854968728821_n.jpg

^ I (and TransitMatters) have been bugging the T & Simon to make this Back Bay sign in compliance with the MBTA graphic standards to no avail.

19275161_10209596599251930_818492212156978457_n.jpg

^ Refreshed materials & lighting in the underpass

But they do have three separate romance languages which are all pretty much the same. So, they got that base well covered.

I'd guess the tower approval greatly enhances the value of the property. Copley place mall already looks like a dinosaur - especially when you walk in from the Prudential Center, which does a mighty fine job imitating a European shopping arcade or a downtown streetscape. It may not be long before hte rents no longer justify keeping the mall as is...

It's a felony that this tower was nixed. Maybe Simon is like Evil Knievel after his rocket pooped itself over the Snake River Canyon wall (in 1974) with the world watching. Cool idea with lousy execution... Not a lot of people know a guy named Eddie Braun returned to the iconic site with a nearly identical rocket and completed the jump! Well, it only took 42 years. Maybe someday a competent developer will swoop in and rescue this project!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1EtAyv132E

This project is, for all intents and purposes, complete? Or should I mark it canceled? (Barring the ridiculous notion of me trying to separate 108 pages of tower discussion from the expansion discussion)

This project is, for all intents and purposes, complete? Or should I mark it canceled? (Barring the ridiculous notion of me trying to separate 108 pages of tower discussion from the expansion discussion)

The renovation was so minor & this thread was really about the tower, I'd just mark it canceled. Technically the real expansion that was part of the tower scheme never happened either, just the renovation.

Good night, sweet prince.

Walked through a couple days ago. The 80s are slowly being chased out. Also the elevator behind the waterfall is gone. Elevators are now next to the escalators across from the Barneys.

6gbQ2oE.jpg

mzk17tm.jpg

I think the most important part of the article is the second half. Downward pressure in the luxury housing market has made construction of luxury towers unfeasible. As a result, developers are less inclined to keep building. Yet, while luxury units are seeing rent decreases, non-luxury units continue to see increases in rent. However developers have no intention to mass build lower end housing. This is why the government needs to play a part in forcing developers to build affordable housing, otherwise they won't.

This is why the government needs to play a part in forcing developers to build affordable housing, otherwise they won't.

It's not so simple, especially when "affordable" housing like the Beverly costs 400k/unit.

The Beverly is workforce housing not affordable and I don't think all the units were classified as workforce or not all of them had as strict a limitation on what they could cost.

The Beverly is workforce housing not affordable and I don't think all the units were classified as workforce or not all of them had as strict a limitation on what they could cost.

It's 100% and IIRC Boston gets to count it as "affordable".

I think the most important part of the article is the second half. Downward pressure in the luxury housing market has made construction of luxury towers unfeasible.

endless 260' squat highrises

mid-rises and infill

the sum of all fears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back