Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Copley Place plan calls for condo tower

I don't know if I would have been able to keep my cool with a question like that. When it comes to the sun, architects know what they're doing, especially in 2011.The sun's path has been repeatedly bashed into our heads since freshman year.

Speaking of sustainability, I don't remember if this was mentioned previously, but did they mention what level of LEED (yes, I know 1. it's a buzzword and 2. the LEED system is not perfect) they are pursuing (if any)?

BostonUrbEx may have heard more, but during the presentation part they didn't mention anything about LEED certification.

HOWEVER

I think this'll be the greenest large-scale building in the Back Bay based on a number of things they mentioned:
- Gigantic Green Roof on top of the mechanical floors above retail component.
- rain water collected will be filtered and pumped back into the Back Bay groundwater supply
- renovations to existing neiman marcus and ground floor retail will ultimately make Copley Place mall more energy efficient.
- all glass facade on all sides and even street-level will maximize sun exposure immensely, reducing need for daily energy use
- most accessible destination in the commonwealth to every possible mode of transportation (except the airport), so far less automotive trips than expected for building of comparable height or square footage
- 10 zip cars for use in garage
- bicycle storage for all residents
- Hubway station out front

Also, it sounds like SIMON has big plans for giving the SW Corridor Park an arguably overdue facelift between Dartmouth and Harcourt Streets. They want to plant better vegetation and more of it, get rid of weeds, properly shield the MBTA vents in the park by Dartmouth Street, and {BEST PART} they want to implement some sort of high profile public art feature at the gateway for the park. Fountain, sculpture, LED blocks--they're setting aside a quarter million dollars or something in that ballpark for public art displays and they'll be looking for a committee of local experts to select the most appropriate display.

Sounds great! Thanks for those notes! By the way it sounds, LEED Gold is attainable if they do it right. 111 Huntington got LEED Gold just by a retrofit!

Really love that they are talking about the SW Corridor Park too! Copley Place as a whole is a major component of it. The $250,000 budget sounds awesome as well. If anyone has money right now, it's Simon.

I think this'll be the greenest large-scale building in the Back Bay based on a number of things they mentioned:
- Gigantic Green Roof on top of the mechanical floors above retail component.
- rain water collected will be filtered and pumped back into the Back Bay groundwater supply
- renovations to existing neiman marcus and ground floor retail will ultimately make Copley Place mall more energy efficient.
- all glass facade on all sides and even street-level will maximize sun exposure immensely, reducing need for daily energy use
- most accessible destination in the commonwealth to every possible mode of transportation (except the airport), so far less automotive trips than expected for building of comparable height or square footage
- 10 zip cars for use in garage
- bicycle storage for all residents
- Hubway station out front

Also, water reclamation/recycling. At first I almost thought they meant greywater, but I believe he was referring to water used for building cooling. I'm not sure. Do you remember what was mentioned about that?

And those windows/glass will maximize lighting, but will keep green-house effect to a minimum, so cooling costs don't spike.

Also, water reclamation/recycling. At first I almost thought they meant greywater, but I believe he was referring to water used for building cooling. I'm not sure. Do you remember what was mentioned about that?

And those windows/glass will maximize lighting, but will keep green-house effect to a minimum, so cooling costs don't spike.

That's the question I walked out during. That old lady was insinuating that this building would somehow cause more water to pour during the effects of global warming, and that because of this it would overwhelm our sewer and rain runoff systems. [queue facepalm #2]

A) How on earth would a single building have any quantifiable effect on the amount of rainwater that would ultimately fall from the sky during a storm?!
B) And secondly, I feel like I just read this summer that Boston has finally begun channelling all wastewater -AND- storm runoff to Deer Island to be processed before discharging back into the harbor/water supply. I haven't heard anything about our sewage system being unable to handle additional waste. Does anyone know more about this?

Resident: "The Tent City apartments are immediately south of this proposed tower and I'm concerned a tower that high will cast giant shadows most of the day on Tent City. How do you plan to reduce the shadow on our apartment building?"

Architect:" :) Fortunately, as you pointed out, this site is north of the Tent City apartments. Since Boston is in the Northern hemisphere, sun exposure begins from the east-southeast, then continues into the center sky from the south, and sets in the west-southwest. So none of the shadows from this project will ever cast on Tent City."

Resident: "Are you sure?"

orly42mixa3.jpg

Simon, which holds the property, owns the Dartmouth garage which currently has 350 excess spaces at peak parking. More than 1:1 unit:parking ratio. Your dentist can shove it. :)

I've learned just two pieces of good advice ... or, should I say ... I've followed just two pieces of good advice. Obey the man with the gun in his hand and Don't piss off the man with the drill in his hand. Especially if he as a needle in the other.

That's the question I walked out during. That old lady was insinuating that this building would somehow cause more water to pour during the effects of global warming, and that because of this it would overwhelm our sewer and rain runoff systems. [queue facepalm #2]

A) How on earth would a single building have any quantifiable effect on the amount of rainwater that would ultimately fall from the sky during a storm?!
B) And secondly, I feel like I just read this summer that Boston has finally begun channelling all wastewater -AND- storm runoff to Deer Island to be processed before discharging back into the harbor/water supply. I haven't heard anything about our sewage system being unable to handle additional waste. Does anyone know more about this?
New buildings in Boston and Cambridge are not permitted to have stormwater run off into existing sewers. The sites must be graded or regraded as such. This is part of the building code now. The buildings must have their own rainwater systems and appropriate drainage. Bioswales are always great, with the MIT Stata Center bioswale as the prime example.

I have a large section from a packet of lecture notes somewhere, but here's a low-res image from the internet:
20100527141115-1.jpg

This car wreck of a post brought to you from the makers of A-M-B-I-E-N®

So, tell me, does your support, or lack of support, waver at all if what it's being built for changes?

This is a condominium tower, right? At least most of it? With retail at the bottom, maybe a couple floors of offices?

What if it was a hotel? What if it was an apartment building? What if it was an office building, either full of one company's employees (mostly) or many companies employees?

Would it alter your opinion as to whether or not you'd like it? (Let's leave out any other option, such as prison, dormitory, or Level 4 BioLab.)

When you measure what is suitable, acceptable, and practical, in a building such as this, shouldn't its use(s) be considered, too? Actually, should they be considered more than the actual height and density?

It matters because it determines how many people are going to through there every day, live or visit or play there, the number cars going in and out, and how much support staff will be needed, how many employees will be hired, how many residents will live there. The answers to those questions are extremely important because those are the things that affect the lives of abutters, neighbors, visitors, business peoples. Politicians.

Obviously, an office building will be busiest between 8am - 6pm. And there will be a lot of employees along with support staff like lunch ladies and engineers and the annoying guy with the badge at the front gate who won't let you go through security just because you forgot your ID (again).

You may be able to convince some of your workers to commute by subway, train, bus, water taxi, or bicycle. The majority, however, will drive in. So, you've become part of the mess of the Boston parking nightmare. Evey employee you have that drives is coming into work at 9:12am, 12 minutes late because some a-hole almost cut him off or somebody was on his ass so bad that he decided to get off the highway and go the long way ... They come into work, bull-shit, furious, angry, oh, and in a great mood for your 2.5 hour meeting on picking out the theme for this year's Holiday Party. Then, you lose his interest around 4:15pm because he starts thinking he's got to to back out there, spend another 90 minutes on the Expressway, jerking forward, jerking backward, over and over again and could he please hear a song, one single song before they go to commercial? Why are they always playing commercials and I have is my "Falco's Greatest Hits" CD with me.

Office building workers will not travel far to eat lunch or to shop. Actually, they won't go far to eat, but they will go far to shop. Liberty Mutual and 888 Boylston Street workers will run right over to Newbury Street to shop, from 5-455 Newbury Street. They might prefer eating in the Pru Food Court or right on Boylston.

At the end of the day, they'll jump in the cars and get the hell out of town as quickly as possible. Maybe have drinks with the crew on a Thursday night because Nancy's last day is tomorrow, maybe leave the car in the garage and walk up to Fenway for a game ... maybe dinner in the South End or take the car to North Station and catch the women's lingerie football team playing a game.

An apartment building has lower density than an office building, no? 2.5 people per apartment on average. They take up more square footage than probably 6-10 white collar workers would need. Of course, every apartment has to have lots of windows, so the design is different. The number of staff might be less. A superintendent, a plumber, front desk, valet parking, security. Lots of maintenance costs.

A condo building is similar. Bigger units than in an apartment. Bigger windows, more bathrooms, more piping for sinks and tubs and dishwashers clothes washers. A staff of people to do everything to clean it, to walk you dog, to hold the door for you, to make appointments, to have an extra set of keys.

I would guess that a condominium project similar to the Ritz-Carlton Towers or Four Seasons or Belvedere or Grandview or even the W or 45 Province has residents who don't go out much and when they do, it's out of town. Some probably enjoy a night at theater or museum or concert. I don't know. But, I think they stay to themselves .

Their affect on the neighborhood is limited. The support staff is always in the streets, or kitchens, or in the furnace room, doing something, making things work. In some ways, the buildings are like little vertical cruise ships with a captain and his crew and his passengers.

Apartment buildings are similar in that there are a lot of rooms, that it's housing where you sleep and eat, and the style and layouts of the floors in the buildings are often similar. You may have higher density in the apartment building than in the condominium - a guess - because the apartment building might be priced so high that three or four people are living in a one or two-bedroom apartment.

The support staff at the apartment complex is similar to what it is at the condominium tower. They may be paid less and be required to do a lot more, but it's similar to what goes on in a condo project. You'll definitely need parking in an apartment building. But, maybe less than in a condo building. The difference is, condo buyers (in the city at least) are of some financial means; and they moved to Boston to make life easier. They want a nice, new, clean, home with high-quality fixtures and good-quality workmanship. They want to be able to get around when they want to, to take a car when they want to do something.

Apartment renters may or may not have cars. Some may have two, many will have one, a good number will have zero. They don't have the money (to buy the car and to insure it, but also to put it in a parking garage), they don't want the hassle, they ride a bike, they like to use ZipCar, they borrow a friend's.

So, less traffic on the streets than if it was a condo, perhaps.

A hotel isn't so great. There are so many cars going in and out. And, unlike the offices, hotels tend to stay busy throughout the day, from early morning checkout to families looking for stuff to do, to afternoon golf games, tennis games, and activities for the kids, and trips to the Public Garden, and Cheers, and a Duck Tour, and The Hard Rock, and our Merry Go Rounds, and Copley Square and the Trinity Church, and Mother Goose's grave site (sort of). So, lots of in and outs, lots of traffic and through early and late hours. (I wasn't the biggest fan of the hotel they were going to build as part of Columbus Center). It was right at the corner, requiring taxis to come in from two locations, undoubtedly cause traffic jams on their own but also inconveniencing commuters and residents (and me as a walker)

So, this turned out be a a very long blah blah blah about what should people be focusing on as much as aesthetics and shadows and wind. It's going to be build as condos. Is that what's best for that area? Do we need some more density, more people who can bring more jobs and interesting life stories that we can hear about while eating dinner with them? More people to get involved in civic engagement?

Or, should we want apartment dwellers, transients, who might not ask a lot of us. They just want access to low-cost transportation, ease of getting around town by bus, subway, and bicycle, cheap supermarkets, maybe a fitness gym, maybe a small parking garage, say one spot for every two apartments; the rest have to go without.

Hotel visitors bring money to spend, which is good. They spend it in the hotel, they spend it outside the hotel. They pay their cab drivers, they pay their waitresses for bringing them food. And the pay to go on tours of "Boston", which sometimes means they spend more time in Cambridge.

Resident: "The Tent City apartments are immediately south of this proposed tower and I'm concerned a tower that high will cast giant shadows most of the day on Tent City. How do you plan to reduce the shadow on our apartment building?"

Architect:" :) Fortunately, as you pointed out, this site is north of the Tent City apartments. Since Boston is in the Northern hemisphere, sun exposure begins from the east-southeast, then continues into the center sky from the south, and sets in the west-southwest. So none of the shadows from this project will ever cast on Tent City."

Resident: "Are you sure?"

Dshoost88: [facepalm]

OpoQQ.jpg

Well, if you extrapolate the direction the shadows are going, then shouldn't all the EEEEVVVVOOL shadows from the tower fall on BB station? Not too bad, huh?

No. In that picture, if you check the direction of those shadows, we MUST knock down the Boston Public Library!!!!!!!

The only reason NIMBY'S complain about Shadows and Manhattanization is because the Mayor was complaining about that towards developments he did not support.

So the NIMBYS complain about these issues on every single development.

The only real issue is making sure Traffic is somewhat maintained. Everything else is noise. If the BRA wants it built they will just ignore the NIMBYS like they did in the Liberty Mutual Development.

Last edited:

Aesthetically, this would be one of the greatest projects Boston has ever seen. However, I am curious about something. I noticed this thread has been going on since summer of 2006 (over 5 years now). How much longer do we need to wait before finding out if this is approved? Is 5+ years really the typical process here, or are other factors involved? I see other cities, for instance Pittsburgh, where a tower of this size is announced (in this example, a new tower at PNC plaza) and "expected to break ground next year". Is our approval process really 5 times longer than some of these other cities, or are a few of the years in this case just due to the recession?

This is my development process in the city.

FAA height limit....Check
Owners have lenders who are committed.... Check
Anytype of Safety issue around the area.... Check

All set to build.

A new third-tallest. FINALLY.

Aesthetically, this would be one of the greatest projects Boston has ever seen. However, I am curious about something. I noticed this thread has been going on since summer of 2006 (over 5 years now). How much longer do we need to wait before finding out if this is approved? Is 5+ years really the typical process here, or are other factors involved? I see other cities, for instance Pittsburgh, where a tower of this size is announced (in this example, a new tower at PNC plaza) and "expected to break ground next year". Is our approval process really 5 times longer than some of these other cities, or are a few of the years in this case just due to the recession?

Most of that time the project was on hold due to George Bush's recession.

They should have asked him how much he pays in rent, tent city is a frigid housing project. This new project will help pay for his unit and the other 56% in the south end who don't pay market share

Last edited:

A new third-tallest. FINALLY.

Now what we need is something to surpass the 614' barrier in the financial district. I have a "concept tower" in the works for the site of Menino's failed 1000' vision. I am going to try to recruit a person who has created beautiful renders of the WTC to hopefully render this concept before I share it with you all (and with the mayor's office).

This tower is not only aesthetically beautiful on its own, but it also represents a turning point in the development of the "high spine". No longer will the Back Bay skyline be the Hancock and the Pru and all their little friends. This tower, although not quite as tall as the big 2, holds its own and isn't dwarfed by them (111 Huntington came close to achieving that, but not quite - about 50-100' short).

The DPIR is up on the BRA site. Lots of info and pretty pictures.
Height is confirmed at 625'8".

Copley-Tower.jpg

Wow is all I have to say. That looks amazing.

I would love for this to be built, but I have the notion in the back of my head that some how, some way the city/BRA will either kill this, or chop it wayyyyyy down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back