Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Copley Place plan calls for condo tower

The DPIR is up on the BRA site. Lots of info and pretty pictures.
Height is confirmed at 625'8".

Copley-Tower.jpg

21st Century ..........Here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like we have BEAST development in the works.

Whats up with the shadows in the Pic thats all we need?

21st Century ..........Here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like we have BEAST development in the works.

Whats up with the shadows in the Pic thats all we need?

Well, if you extrapolate the direction the shadows are going, then shouldn't all the EEEEVVVVOOL shadows from the tower fall on BB station? Not too bad, huh?

The DPIR is up on the BRA site. Lots of info and pretty pictures.
Height is confirmed at 625'8".

Looks good

Makes you feel sad however that the Liberty Mutual didn't have tall end and short end

The top of Liberty should right up there

Looks good

Makes you feel sad however that the Liberty Mutual didn't have tall end and short end

What could have been! A Liberty Mutual tapering to a high point, Columbus Center, and then this. Oh well, at least we get one, and I don't think Liberty Mutual is going to exactly look short, but I agree, something more soaring would have been cool.

I love it!
smiley-dance011.gif

Holy lord that is a sexy tower.

Looks good

did'nt LM propose a 50 story tower back in the 80's and were told to build two 25 story buildings (500 Boylston was suppose to have a twin)?

how about a page #?

Some people made me want to rip my hair out.

Will scan notes soon. Didn't even bother with most of the Q&A portion, though, it was the same bullshit over and over. Shadows and wind. Shadows were addressed to no end, and I thought the impact on Copley was reasonable (no shadows from March to September... at least! and 2 hour shadow on 20% of the park at peak in December, and some lady was still bitching!). Ugh, NIMBY's need to GTFO.

That is going to really look good there. Any shadow would be welcome at some point during the summer which, I don't think, would even happen at any time with the height of the sun that time of year (maybe late in the day and by that time the temperature has gone down anyway). I'm sure all those who whine about the short duration of a shadow in the winter will be on a park bench to bask in the sun light in the middle of January. How many are crying about shadows casting south....

My dentist (overlooks Copley Square) doesn't want the tower to be built b/c there's not enough parking in the neighborhood.

::no idea::

My dentist (overlooks Copley Square) doesn't want the tower to be built b/c there's not enough parking in the neighborhood.

::no idea::

Simon, which holds the property, owns the Dartmouth garage which currently has 350 excess spaces at peak parking. More than 1:1 unit:parking ratio. Your dentist can shove it. :)

I also asked about potential impact on the SW Corridor expansion as both Amtrak and the MBTA are calling for a 4th track between SS and Readville. This is going to be a necessity by the 2030s, as in, this project needs to allow for it. They completely dismissed my mention of it as they "never heard of it" and the woman who was studying transit "so hard" alongside the BTD didn't hear of it ever either. I found this in one search: http://southcoastrail.eot.state.ma.us/downloads/South_Station_Memo_050510.pdf Boom, Page 6 is the first mention of it. If there's not enough room on the south side of the ROW and they can't eat further south, they'll need to bump the OL north. A clear concern which they were so confident they didn't need to look into and would be fine, despite saying they never heard this or took it into consideration.

Simon, which holds the property, owns the Dartmouth garage which currently has 350 excess spaces at peak parking. More than 1:1 unit:parking ratio. Your dentist can shove it. :)

Heck, the Copley Place Garage is chronically underutilized, especially sections of the Blue Garage that can serve this tower perfectly. There is plenty of parking available in the Back Bay... you just have to be willing to pay for it.

+1

UrbEx and I sat next to each other at the meeting, and even though I bailed at 7PM to attend another meeting I got to sit in during a handful of questions. There was a disabled gentleman who got a round of applause from everyone when he pressed the architect and team behind this building to meet with the disabilities commission about creating paver-less walkways on the exterior of the property. I actually agreed with him about that point--the city/property-owners can't seem to keep up with replacing brick walkways that go missing or crack.

Also, my favorite question of the night came from a Tent City resident... (**This is my rough memory of how it went)

Resident: "The Tent City apartments are immediately south of this proposed tower and I'm concerned a tower that high will cast giant shadows most of the day on Tent City. How do you plan to reduce the shadow on our apartment building?"

Architect:" :) Fortunately, as you pointed out, this site is north of the Tent City apartments. Since Boston is in the Northern hemisphere, sun exposure begins from the east-southeast, then continues into the center sky from the south, and sets in the west-southwest. So none of the shadows from this project will ever cast on Tent City."

Resident: "Are you sure?"

Dshoost88: [facepalm]

"Elitist bricks" and southerly shadows. The best and worst of public meetings, haha. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back