Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Copley Place plan calls for condo tower

I don't know what the hell he/she is talking about either but I guess with the so called construction boom about to hit,he's/she's telling us photogragher's to go out and buy a new camera's with the lastest technology?

I don't know what the hell he/she is talking about either but I guess with the so called construction boom about to hit,he's/she's telling us photogragher's to go out and buy a new camera's with the lastest technology?

It a he last tiem that I checked -- and the point is -- if you've been holding back because your old camera is still working -- check out the state of the art

Not only do you get more Mega Pixels, more battery saving processors, more "intelligence" and more storage for lots less of $ -- But -- You will be pleasantly surprised at the low cost and feature rich cameras offered by numerous manufacturers with whom you might previously been unaware

Had I not just lost my trusty Cannon on my recent trip to India -- I probably wouldn't have taken the opportunity to snap-up a cheap, very compact and quite capable back-up which I've now acquired and which I will retain after I buy my next nice camera

My new GE (yes they make or at least market them) will now probably accompany me much more frequently than had the much bigger Cannon and possibly also my soon to be new "nice camera"

Thanks to my latest class I got the Moore's Law reference....

Copley Place Expansion Project CAC Meeting #14
Wednesday, September 07, 2011
8:00 am - 10:00 am

Division-Department: Planning and Zoning - BRA
Description: Copley Place Expansion Project CAC Meeting #14
Location: Copley Place - 4th Floor (Office Level) - Conference Room
Neighborhood: Citywide
Email: Lauren.Shurtleff.BRA@cityofboston.gov

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/calendar/scheduledet.asp?EventID=2845

Meeting #14? In other cities meeting #14 is the grand opening. Of course, those cities actually encourage development.

Oh..... Please let this one be built! No height reductions!

But to be fair -- sometime those cities have 30% office vacancy rates -- e.g. Austin TX in 1985
where the famous see throgh office tower ran a lighted fountain in the lobby to differentiate itself from the other empty brand new office towers

In 2011, Austin just came out of one major building boom and is entering another, Oklahoma City is topping off an 850' tower, Toronto is in the process of practically tripling the size of its skyline in a dozen years (with no end in site), New York has over half a dozen supertalls either U/C or imminent, much smaller international cities such as Calgary and Brisbane have caught up to Boston in the skyline sense... and then we have Boston, where a 600' proposal is equated to turning Boston into Manhattan or one of the crazy building Chinese cities... news-flash those cities haven't had the same 4 tallest buildings since the 70's, 7 since the 80's!

The Devon tower in OKC is really cool. What I don't like is the large above ground garage they built next to it. I go to OKC a few times a year for work and have been watching it grow for the past year and a half.

The Devon tower in OKC is really cool. What I don't like is the large above ground garage they built next to it. I go to OKC a few times a year for work and have been watching it grow for the past year and a half.

What I don't like is that a skyline that was smaller than Hartford's suddenly has a building taller than we do. The tower itself is nice, but it looks about as appropriate there as it would look in one of the suburban office parks on 128.

What I don't like is that a skyline that was smaller than Hartford's suddenly has a building taller than we do.

Wait, are we still talking about buildings?

You may be the on person outside Oklahoma who cares about something in Oklahoma. Seriously, why does this matter? How does this affect Boston in the slightest?

Wait, are we still talking about buildings?

You may be the on person outside Oklahoma who cares about something in Oklahoma. Seriously, why does this matter? How does this affect Boston in the slightest?

Do you really not see his point? It's clear as day. Oklahoma City now has a tower taller than we have in Boston and their skyline was comparible to Hartford's. We're losing ground in Boston, big time, and the city is becoming nothing but a joke.

^^Not sure if serious.

Sarcasm is hard to read on the interwebz. Sorry if it was a joke.

No, I was wondering if you were really concerned about losing ground to OKC, because that would be a lot of ground to have to lose before it became an issue for me.

For me, it's an issue with potential. We're a cutting-edge tech/bio-med city and yet we're living with a tallest tower that was completed in 1976. I'm not really worried about OKC overtaking Boston, but it constantly leaves me wondering "why can't we do this?" We have so much potential as a city, so much going for us and yet opportunities constantly come and go without action. It just hits a nerve when a city not-as-established as Boston builds a super-tall while we're still complaining about a 47-story tower, despite our tallest tower being 60-stories.

I don't remember where I saw this quote, but I once read a comment from someone that said: "I've never seen a city more afraid of being a city than Boston." It has resonated with me ever since. I will never give up on this city and its evolution into the 21st century, even though so many already have.

^ Come on, please. Show me a neighborhood in OKC with a level or urbanity even closely approaching Arlington, much less Back Bay or Beacon Hill. Cities like OKC need supertalls to define their "cityness." As a Bostonian, I am indeed afraid of becoming a "city" in the OKC sense of isolated towers with only a semblance of real urban neighborhoods. Can our skyline be updated? Sure. But the fact that it isn't doesn't make us afraid of being a city. Boston is one of only a handful of real actual urbanistic cities in the USA.

Never did I mention neighborhoods or urban density. This isn't about that. Clearly Boston is superior to a ton of metro-areas in this sense. I guess my pet peeve is the fact that this 47-story tower that is being proposed across the street from our city's tallest faces so much opposition as being too tall. It doesn't make any sense and it's blocking progress.

^Using certain definitions of 'progress'

^ Come on, please. Show me a neighborhood in OKC with a level or urbanity even closely approaching Arlington, much less Back Bay or Beacon Hill. Cities like OKC need supertalls to define their "cityness." As a Bostonian, I am indeed afraid of becoming a "city" in the OKC sense of isolated towers with only a semblance of real urban neighborhoods. Can our skyline be updated? Sure. But the fact that it isn't doesn't make us afraid of being a city. Boston is one of only a handful of real actual urbanistic cities in the USA.

I completely agree. I'd like to see this project built, along with a few others, just because I think skyscrapers are cool. But I don't think Boston needs them at all. Boston has always been and continues to be one of the most urban of our large cities. I defy somebody to go to Central Square and claim it isn't urban because it only has a single 8 story office tower.

[eta]
If Boston needed skycrapers, we'd be building them, just as surely as Oklahoma City. Thank goodness we aren't in that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back