Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Copley Place plan calls for condo tower

Nemo --- 25 years ago I would have suggested you take your comments to Red Sq., 20 years ago it might be Tianamin Sq. (now perhaps too late) -- the fall-back alternatives might have been Pyonyang or Havana (might be too late there)

However these days while Pyonyang is still possible -- I suugest that you take your rant about taxing and spending down to the Dewey Sq. encampment of Obamaville --- The folks down there are probably more receptive when they are there

You know its possible to support development and think the financial sector needs more prudent regulations and that the growing income inequity worse than many 3rd world countries deserves a serious debate.

You know its possible to support development and think the financial sector needs more prudent regulations and that the growing income inequity worse than many 3rd world countries deserves a serious debate.

Choo -- without your statement of the charge for the debate -- resolved: " the financial sector needs more prudent regulations and that the growing income inequity worse than many 3rd world countries " -- my point was that -- this thread is about development issues related to Copley Place -- not some rant about taxes, unemployment, CCC, WPA, Keynes, Roosevelt, Freidman, Greenspan, etc.

The following is not at all related to the current thread:

" ....Regarding the issue of providing union-wage construction jobs to unemployed construction workers in Massachusetts, an alternative approach would be for state and city officials to set up some kind of public works hiring hall (in consultation with construction union officials) as soon as possible; and after registering at the "public works department" hiring hall, each individual unemployed construction worker would be immediately assigned to work on some kind of infrastructure repair, school repair, or affordable housing building project within Massachusetts (to be financed by a "surplus wealth" tax on the people in Massachusetts who are part of the top 1 percent -in terms of their annuel incomes and total assets--and are not part of the 99 percent, etc.) "

Nemo --- 25 years ago I would have suggested you take your comments to Red Sq., 20 years ago it might be Tianamin Sq. (now perhaps too late) -- the fall-back alternatives might have been Pyonyang or Havana (might be too late there)

However these days while Pyonyang is still possible -- I suugest that you take your rant about taxing and spending down to the Dewey Sq. encampment of Obamaville --- The folks down there are probably more receptive when they are there

Way to hijack yet another thread, jackass.

Civil discourse please.

I am a borderline kind of person who would be protesting (I'm just too lazy and don't want to associate with the "bad apples" who taint those things). However, the way I see it, are the jobs located inside the buildings, or in the middle of the empty air where a building *could be* but *isn't*? More available housing should mean more affordable housing (due to a market correction, not an arbitrarily forced lottery system). We need to take advantage of new opportunities for smart growth in Boston, and due to the overall built-up density, this includes height where height is appropriate (ya know, like downtown(!!!) and *high* spine!!!).

Now let's stop arguing and just build this thing already :)

I know we always bitch and moan about the ridiculous arguments brought forth by NIMBY groups...but actually seeing this NeimanMarcusWatch character in action is stunning. I think easily the funniest section of the argument is the Winter Garden being inaccessible to the handicapped. Isn't every commercial and government building in the country handicap accessible? Isn't that a law?

I also find it ironic that many people move into the city to escape the boredom and predictablilty of the suburbs, only to join neighborhood groups as catty and predictable as any Stepford Wife cul-de-sac club, whining about a poorly placed basketball hoop over 11am mimosas.

What I find most ironic is that people who live in Tent City, built out of protests for housing, now feel that they want things to stay the way they are now, now that "I got mine".

Very true. Good point.

What I find most ironic is that people who live in Tent City, built out of protests for housing, now feel that they want things to stay the way they are now, now that "I got mine".

I'm pretty sure the original protesters also wanted things to stay the way they were before the BRA demolished their neighborhood in favor of a parking garage.

And how many of the original neighborhood residents stuck around and are currently living in Tent City?

That was then this is now. And what the last 10 years have been is nothing more than fighting urban progress when there is a sea of suburban doldrums that these idiots could easily live in. I've allways felt that the centers of metro regions belong to more than the few that live in them. Times Square belongs to the region, country, and world not just the few that live there. And the fact that a biolab full of very contagious super deadly substances seems to generate less opposition than a sleek new tower in a part of the city that it makes complete sense to have just goes to show how selfish and stupid their argument is.

And the fact that a biolab full of very contagious super deadly substances seems to generate less opposition than a sleek new tower in a part of the city that it makes complete sense to have just goes to show how selfish and stupid their argument is.

I thought the biolab was never completed due to opposition? I sure as hell don't want that thing operating in or anywhere near Boston!!!

@ Lurker - ?? The fewer of the original residents that remain, the more pointless it becomes to draw parallels between now and then, as John Keith tried to do.

The biolab is still winding its way through the approval process, believe it or not.

Few of the people who lived in the neighborhood back in the day currently live in Tent City or anywhere nearby for that matter. For one thing, many of them are dead! (It's been fifty years since urban renewal plans were first released for the South End, don't forget. Mel King is 83 years old ...)

The people who live there now moved in to be in a nice, clean, safe place to live; that was my point. Now that they have cushy homes, they look askew at anything that would happen outside their doorways.

Those nice, clean, and safe places will remain, so I fail to see the harm in building a 47-story tower next door.

John, don't you know that once the 47-story tower is built, that the entire history of solar patterns since the beginning of time will shift and suddenly cast shadows to the south in the northern hemisphere? Silly you.

John, don't you know that once the 47-story tower is built, that the entire history of solar patterns since the beginning of time will shift and suddenly cast shadows to the south in the northern hemisphere? Silly you.

+1

It blew me away at the public meeting for this project that when the architect explained how shadows work, some people sitting near me rolled their eyes as if he were making things up. It's scary.

@ Lurker - ?? The fewer of the original residents that remain, the more pointless it becomes to draw parallels between now and then, as John Keith tried to do.

That's my point. There are so few original residents left that it is quite silly for the opposition to the Copley project from Tent City to be drawing parallels between then and now. This is boiling down to one highrise tower project's residents bitching about loosing their views to another. If it weren't for the issue of subsidized housing they'd be no different than the assholes at Harbor Towers, the Ritz, Longfellow Towers, and Tremont on the Common suing every development around them.

Do you also wonder why nobody who is educated would takes the activist's complaints seriously? Because these letters of complaint that you guys lodge contains no facts, only assumptions. The traffic and pedestrian conflicts will increase based on what study? If an increase in foot traffic automatically leads to automobile/pedestrian accidents, NYC would have a fatal collision at every single intersection. How will access to the shop be constrained when according to the rendering, a new entrance is built where the existing one is located. The project itself is not responsible for aligning bike lanes and roads. If you want to lodge a complaint about that, you send it to the mayor. Does the writer even know what indecipherable mean? I'm assuming that the writer is claiming that the winter garden will no longer be distinguishable from the Southwest Corridor Park. And....? So what? Most people who use the Southwest Corridor Park do not care about it. People use that corridor to get to one place or another. All of these concerns are absolutely unfounded with no factual data supporting it.

Response: The study was done by "architect Ken Kruckemeyer, a long-time Holyoke Street resident and affiliate member of the Tent City Corporation Board, who managed the SW Corridor project in the 1970s," according to the recent southendnews.com article. Decreasing the width of the sidewalk adjacent to Dartmouth Street (a sidewalk already narrower than the typical Manhattan sidewalks) is expected to force more foot traffic into the narrow Dartmouth Street. The proposed changes in the SW Corridor Park is expected to make it more difficult for "people who use that park to get to one place or another" by walking through the park. Both local neighborhood residents and people who work in the neighborhood or wait at the number 10 bus stop often spend time in this SW Corridor Park park on a daily basis and don't want it changed just to benefit the special, commercial/corporate Wall Street interests of the 1% that control Neiman Marcus and Simon Property.

Regarding the need to create more jobs in 2011 for unemployed architects, perhaps some kind of "Architects For Affordable Housing" group could be formed which worked to create some kind of publicly-funded "Rebuild America" or "Rebuild Massachusetts" massive affordable housing and modernized green factory construction program (funded by increased taxation of the 1% and Wall Street)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back