Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are demanding 25% "affordable" units? ....and then the BRA caves in AGAIN!?

These "activists" prob live $2M+ brownstones...

Why do they think affordable housing needs to be in towers like this?

Exactly! I am all about giving people a fair chance and all, but live where you can afford. Sorry, it's economics.

BTW what approval? Wasn't it already approved?

Seriously though, how much longer can this really be held up? The % of affordable units meets the requirement.

I thought this thing was already approved?

I just don't see this happening. Simon's been at this since 2006 and they have gone nowhere and it doesn't seem like they are going anywhere fast.

Exactly! I am all about giving people a fair chance and all, but live where you can afford. Sorry, it's economics.

BTW what approval? Wasn't it already approved?

Seriously though, how much longer can this really be held up? The % of affordable units meets the requirement.

I think this was an approval for the amendment of the PDA. I think the activists hijacked this minor approval to push their agenda and the most disturbing thing is that the BRA listened.

Edit: Yes, the public info meeting to amend the PDA was Feb 26.

This is among the most infuriating projects ever. This project had already been approved...several times if I'm not mistaken.

“This is a small victory for the community, but it’s not a victory in the terms of what we’re asking for,” said Representative Byron Rushing, the Democratic state legislator whose district includes the project site.

How can it be a victory? if this doesn't get built, that's 76 less units of affordable housing, hundreds less units of housing in general keeping supply lower and demand higher.

How can it be a victory? if this doesn't get built, that's 76 less units of affordable housing, hundreds less units of housing in general keeping supply lower and demand higher.

And the Southwest Corridor doesn't get revitalized.
And Copley Place doesn't get better handicap access.
And the connection to Back Bay doesn't get improved.

Yea but guys, you're missing the point. They blocked a development and now feel important! That's the real victory here.

They can enjoy it now, because this is getting built. The BRA made them feel important this one time so that they can shoot them down when this is back on the next agenda.

^ Yes, hopefully the BRA is just playing the political game.

Ugh. WTF?

I do hope this is just a little smoke and mirrors to (temporarily) assuage the zealots, and not anything truly deleterious to the project.

This is one - along with One Congress and the Aquarium Garage - that replaces something worthless and hideous with a true upgrade to the city, our architecture, quality of life, and so on.

While One Congress and the Aquarium Garage seem to be slow-moving for financial reasons, there's no excuse for this project - which seems to have been approved multiple times - to be held up for non-financial reasons.

EDIT: The Aquarium Garage, of course, is also held up for Menino-related reasons, but I would bet that if they really had the financing they'd be appealing to the new admin/BRA to move the process forward.

EDIT: The Aquarium Garage, of course, is also held up for Menino-related reasons, but I would bet that if they really had the financing they'd be appealing to the new admin/BRA to move the process forward.

FWIW, the Aquarium Garage is held up by the fact that it's a fantasy that won't get FAA approval to build, and is being promoted by a developer with a history of vaporware...

I really have no sympathy for the "it's economics" argument - if we let the unfettered market do its work, huge swathes of the city's population would be pushed outside of it - but this is a good project for all concerned. The developer has already increased the number of apartments in the building, and therefore already increased the number of affordable units. 466 market and 76 affordable units would make it one of the largest residential construction sites in the whole city. It's exactly the type of project this city needs to help battle the rising cost of living.

How many floors would be needed for 50 units for the hoi polloi? There's two ways to go on this - absolutely nowhere or taller.

They can enjoy it now, because this is getting built. The BRA made them feel important this one time so that they can shoot them down when this is back on the next agenda.

Ahhhhh I see! After the postponement, I'm sure the BRA gave Simon the ol:
tumblr_ni1ayb0D2v1rl3565o4_250.gif

From talking with my buddy who is still working on this.
They were pushing a 99% set out the door two weeks ago.
I asked if it was a GMP set, he said that went out 2 months ago.
So design is basically done, if it's being priced, there is a CM soliciting bids.
Once they decide to move, they'll be ready to go quick.
It won't rise quick however with all the complexities at the base. I give that part alone a year, and then another year for the tower portion, followed by finish interior works. This one won't surprise me if it takes a full 30-36 months to occupy from real start of work.

Thanks for the update, Seamus. It sounds very promising.

What is a CM soliciting bid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back