Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Copley Place plan calls for condo tower

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but how much, if any will this tower sit on top of the Pike tunnel. I've been looking at Google maps and am guessing perhaps a small portion of the supports may have to work around the Pike tunnel.

The quality may be good, but the octagons and the brass and the pink marble. Maybe you all have gotten used to it by now? Anyway, great to hear positive news on this project.

The most fantastic 80's mall water feature was on display at the chestnut hill mall along with the orange support trusses. Too bad they ripped those out and spray painted everything.

More of the same news about starting date next spring, from http://bisnow.com

Many developers have tried and failed to build over the Mass Pike. (It's the Gordian Knot of development.) But the Simon Property Group is determined to deliver its first air rights project—the $500M addition to Copley Place—and just hired the interiors architect to complete the design.

For its biggest current development project, the nation’s largest public real estate company retained ODA Architecture of New York, planning to complete construction documents this year and start building next spring, Simon’s VP of design Gaylon Melton tells us. To meet the structural challenge of finding solid ground, the team will use technology refined for the Big Dig to stage equipment on a deck over the highway and from there, work underground. They’ll erect a concrete slurry wall to protect the transportation infrastructure—trains and the Pike—and build a steel support resembling the Eiffel Tower for lateral stability, he says. Construction of the foundation and support structure will take a year.

I refuse to believe this thing is getting built until I see actual construction equipment.

I refuse to believe this thing is getting built until I see actual construction equipment.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I am hoping that by this time in 2017 the Back Bay skyline has at least 2 solid additions.

COPLEY PLACE EXPANSION - AMENDMENT TO PDA PUBLIC MEETING
JAN 28, 2015
6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
700 Boylston St, Boston MA 02116

The First Amendment would amend the boundary of the PDA Site to include areas beyond the boundaries of the existing PDA Site based on the final design of the Project and contain provisions relative to groundwater conservation.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...il&utm_term=0_bccda74844-7971edae7a-137187181

Amendment:
http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/6ef49a51-a1e4-44cc-85e9-b46971d4079f

New news... is good news for once?

It's really nothing as far as building design or anything. Just typical legal proceedings for expanding the PDA site due to some groundwater issues that arose during design. Likely something civil discovered and the project scope expanded, which in this case requires an amendment to the PDA site boundaries. This happens quite often. Never know what you're gonna get with developing in Boston.

I had a dream that this was topped out, woke up as disappointed as possible, and realized that the dream alone was not a good enough reason to revive this thread.

So I decided to search until I found something, ANYTHING, on this tower. Here is what I found regarding the construction timetable, from the BRA site. "The project will generate approximately $7.2 million in annual property tax revenue and is expected to break ground in fall 2012 with an estimated construction time of 3 years. "

It's funny because I was under the impression this would start in the spring (so, actually, not that funny) but considering I have been waiting for it to break ground like, any day now, at least I know I can temper that excitement for a few months. Here's the link.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...nitsIndividual.asp?InitID=132&action=ViewInit

Who's taking bets that when fall rolls around, the site will say "expected to break ground in the spring of 2013"?

Haha I laughed reading this. Can't believe it's already been 3 years. Hopefully they will reach their goal of groundbreaking this Spring.

Haha I laughed reading this. Can't believe it's already been 3 years. Hopefully they will reach their goal of groundbreaking this Spring.

Mayah Mahty has stahted to fiyah some of the old hangahs-on from the Menino yeahs

So maybe they will update the stahting time to at least the right yeah ;)

Meeting tomorrow

#Participate! Public meeting re: #Copley Place expansion. Tomorrow, 6:30-8:30pm. http://bit.ly/1EnWxQs

The Boston Public Library - Copley, 700 Boylston St, Boston MA 02116

Public Meeting to discuss the application to Amend and Restate the PDA on the Copley Place Expansion project.

Edit: This is the meeting that was supposed to happen on Jan 28, but was cancelled.

On a somewhat related note, I've seen plans for an updated Southwest Corridor entry to the mall (Back Bay Station). They'll probably be starting that in 2-3 months.

I'll be at this meeting tomorrow night. PM me if anyone wants to say hi.

^Because I'm naive and admittedly just hoping for the tower to get built ASAP, how does the new amendment hold everything up?

^Because I'm naive and admittedly just hoping for the tower to get built ASAP, how does the new amendment hold everything up?

It shouldn't impact it much, if at all. It's simply to amend the PDA to include some scope for groundwater mitigation. No changes to program.

Edit: see post 1531

^Thanks DD!

Will NIMBYs still get to complain about wind tunnels & solar glare and corporate fat cats?

Just an FYI to anybody coming to this meeting. It is in the Commonwealth Salon of the McKim building--it wasn't exactly well-advertised. I'm wearing a black snowcap if anybody wants to say hi.

My sloppy notes:

Steven Bozek, development team
Simon Property Group
- project started 10 years ago
- PDA is technical in stature. October 2013 approved building didn't match up. This is to clean up technicalities so that everything lines up together. Project is the same as it was when last approved.
- they're excited about building. "If everything moves through, we hope to be under construction some time in late spring"
- tower form and shape have remained the same.
- renderings are exactly the same; materials are developed further (marble 30' high on Dartmouth)
- technical elements only are changing

There were only 5-10 slides, lasted 5 mins

Q&A:
- # of affordable units on site: 71 units on site (1's, 2's, and 3's). They won't be next to each other; market and affordable rate units will be mixed among each other. Mix is complementary to overall mix.
- approved for 542, 120 condos, 421 apartments... 1 corner unit combined two for a larger unit.
- the rents for affordable units are based in Boston Housing and BRA guidelines. There will be a lottery process to put together a marketing plan and market it to the area. There's a specific way
- someone asked about section 8 applicability to this project. There is no section 8, no risk of subsidy disappearing. Developer explained details of pro forma.
- the developer challenged the crowd to find a project in this city with as many public benefits as this project presents
- project will take 1 year on ground work before we see anything rise above the ground
- lots of questions about affordable housing, clarification, definitions

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back