Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Copley Place plan calls for condo tower

Does this mean that there's no chance this project gets started in 2014?

Do they still need to work out approvals with MassDOT/MBTA considering this thing is on top of highway and transit?

There is very little chance that this project starts in a significant way in 2014. Needs new drilled shafts/piers to come out of I-90 tunnel. From what I understand they have not finalized negotiations with MADOT on how that will go.

Globe Street:

Construction will begin on the expansion at Copley Place here within nine months, reported Simon Property Group chairman and CEO David Simon at the company’s second quarter conference call.

Thought we should all see the horror of the interior.

copley-place-18.jpg

I actually always liked the interior. It's something unique to the area and by no means a low quality finish.

I agree, the interior isn't so bad but the inside is too dim for my liking.

As a backdrop for headless manniquins in evening gowns, I think it really works.
For anything else (like a focal point/meeting place in a high-end mall in the mid 2000-teens)...not so much.

A lot of factors never worked from the very beginning: as was said, the dim lighting; the juxtaposition of brick, marble, and brass; the useless water features which have been mostly torn-up and covered over; the big sculpture in the center which had most of it's waterfall turned off long ago; the awkward levels; the constant changing of stores and locations; the lack of eateries on the main level; and yes....the prices for almost everything, though I understand high-end is high-end. For it's day it was a vast improvement over the hole that was the Rt. 90 interchange...time for an update!

I really like the interior of Copley Place spatially. It's quite engaging in section and offers some unique vantage points in all directions. Aesthetically, it's just dated pink marble, brick and brass. It was the early 80s. It was the thing. That can easily be fixed with new finishes. Given that the waterfall no longer works, they should rip it out and replace the 3 elevators with 3 seamless glass ones, ala the MIT Media Lab. It would help to activate & modernize that atrium, as the atrium is actually a critical circulation point not just for mall shoppers, but also for the office workers that need to access the skylobby (3) to transfer to their tower's elevators.

It's atrociously dated. Every time I walk through there, I expect to see ads for Beverly Hills Cop.

^ LOL, what a great movie.

The waterfall should at least be returned to how it originally operated. Maybe add some colored lighting to it as well.

^Data said it better than I could.
The finishes are dated (though not cheap). The layout is actually pretty good.

Funny how Trump leveraged that period's brass and pink marble look so for so long that he "owns" an entire era of design now.

But also, put me down as liking the warm cave feel of Copley Place... few interiors from that era have aged well but somehow (maybe it's the high quality finishes?) I've always found the place appealing. That waterfall piece, however, is PoMo at its tackiest.

I'm happy to see Copley as we know it go and something a bit more trendy / (hopefully) light take its place.

That said, Copley has aged better than any other '80s mall - or office building - in the area. It's fairly unique in still feeling upscale among original-state '80s structures - even the 5th Avenue Trump Tower feels less upscale in many ways.

When they build the new tower, are they going to resurface the exterior of the rest of the mall complex.

I remember reading, when it was built, that the exterior panels had a ridiculously short life expectancy, something like 30 years? (I could be wrong, that was a long time ago.)

Personally, I think Copley Place's only sin is being from the 30 years ago. Give it another 10-20 years and we'll be glad we preserved it. It'll be "throwback" cool. Art Deco went through the same thing.

Very exciting...can't wait to see all these towers rising all over the place.

The quality may be good, but the octagons and the brass and the pink marble. Maybe you all have gotten used to it by now? Anyway, great to hear positive news on this project.

I actually always liked the interior. It's something unique to the area and by no means a low quality finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back