Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
That mall blows without Rizzoli Books, the news stand, the movie theatre, and the Chinese restaurant upstairs.

I remember Rizzoli, the news stand (now Tourneau), the movie theatre (now Barneys), but have no relocation of a Chinese restaurant upstairs.. when was this and where was it??

While we're at it, I also remember when the central fountain had larger pools and when the Westin entrance had the waterfall fountain on either side of the escalator.

Ahh memories..

While we're at it, I also remember when the central fountain had larger pools and when the Westin entrance had the waterfall fountain on either side of the escalator.

Ahh memories..

Ah, indoor water features and built-in tiled planters - such '80's glory. That was such an '80's mall thing to do. Many/most of the malls with these details have since stripped them out. I distinctly recall the waterfalls at the Westin entrance, as well as the larger central water feature. Large pools, and the ~3 story waterfall actually running. I didn't think I'd miss these things, but I actually do. Does anyone know why all these water features have been taken out of malls? Too expensive? Hazardous? Leaky/problematic?

(Sorry, I don't recall an upstairs Chinese restaurant either...but fondly recall everything else mentioned)

Does anyone know why all these water features have been taken out of malls? Too expensive? Hazardous? Leaky/problematic?

They were often poorly constructed and/or maintained, so malls either decommissioned them, covered them up with tile, or ripped them out.

Ah, indoor water features and built-in tiled planters - such '80's glory. That was such an '80's mall thing to do. Many/most of the malls with these details have since stripped them out. I distinctly recall the waterfalls at the Westin entrance, as well as the larger central water feature. Large pools, and the ~3 story waterfall actually running. I didn't think I'd miss these things, but I actually do. Does anyone know why all these water features have been taken out of malls? Too expensive? Hazardous? Leaky/problematic?

(Sorry, I don't recall an upstairs Chinese restaurant either...but fondly recall everything else mentioned)

It was a Kowloon outlet upstairs. I remember it well.

Great pictures of the new floor. I bet passersby thought, "why is this dude feverishly photographing the floor".

As ugly as salmon colored marble accented with brass, all in hexagonal / octagonal shapes is, this seems to have been well made, with high quality materials. Would that be a correct assumption?

I noticed yesterday that plenty of the small squarish mini tiles are already broken or missing...

Great pictures of the new floor. I bet passersby thought, "why is this dude feverishly photographing the floor".

Hah, I don't even notice people gawking at my gawking anymore. I'm still honing my 'tourist' body language so I can stop being accosted by T employees for taking photos of trains at visually interesting angles (what, like somehow one photo of a train is what it takes for Al Qaeda or ISIL to discover how to sabotage our system?)...

As ugly as salmon colored marble accented with brass, all in hexagonal / octagonal shapes is, this seems to have been well made, with high quality materials. Would that be a correct assumption?

Yes, I'll say for how dated it is, all the materials have lasted very well up to this point or at the very least Simon has done a reasonable job of maintaining it well under their watch.

Please pardon if these were posted before;

Geebus this thing is gonna be the bomb!!

Last edited:
Somehow just realized that this is going to be directly across the street from the new back bay station buildings and a stones throw from temple place ..do any renderings exist showing all the proposed/approved towers on this stretch of Stuart St all together?

Any one know which will be the next to rise: this, Congress Garage or the Garden tower? (Assuming Four Seasons will be next of course).

If only the Westin and Marriott could be imploded and completely rebuilt........

Oh and the Sheraton and Hilton too.

If only the Westin and Marriott could be imploded and completely rebuilt........

Oh and the Sheraton and Hilton too.

i like the westin and marriott. nicely representative examples of a decade. i don't wanna erase the past just b/c it isn't currently jibing with present-day aesthetics.

that said, yes: the sheraton and hilton should be destroyed. bleagh

I like the Westin and Marriot, I just wish they were 600' rather than 400' to tie together the Back Bay skyline.

i like the westin and marriott. nicely representative examples of a decade. i don't wanna erase the past just b/c it isn't currently jibing with present-day aesthetics.

that said, yes: the sheraton and hilton should be destroyed. bleagh

Chrisbrat -- No -- they are serviceable and functional building from their era -- what needs to go is the Midtown -- even though its not that old [1961] -- it looks like a Motel from the early 1950's HoJo's era

-- what needs to go is the Midtown -- even though its not that old [1961] -- it looks like a Motel from the early 1950's HoJo's era

From my understanding, The Christian Science Monitor owns it It represents an excellent opportunity for development, but it is also an easy money maker for them. It is a budget option in Boston, and it is actually pretty nice inside. The Monitor is busy figuring out the corner parcel that has been approved for a 400' building. The hotel will go in 20-30 years.

Also there's brownstones on the south end side of the midtown. I really doubt the neighborhood is going to allow for some big project to go thru there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back