Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Copley Place plan calls for condo tower

A lot of people are fascinated by Holl's dorm. Sad that Stata gets way more press...I think Holl's is actually MIT's most impressive and original building in half a century.

In general, though, you're right. The world is going to start looking a lot more like Boston, which was content with mediocrity far before its time.

any word on this thing it is an absolutely beautiful design.

Ive noticed that when people ask, a relevant news article appears a day or two later. I hope that is the case this time.

Had to go all the way to page5 to dig this one up.

There is a lot of construction material on top of the roof of Neiman Marcus, as well as some orange barries on the plaza in front of the mall entrance at the corner of Stuart and Dartmouth. At one point yesterday, I counted as many as 30 construction workers on the roof preparing for something. Anyone know what's going on?

Construction material? Construction workers? Roof? Hmmm. Stumped.

Oh, wait, hmm ... could they be repairing the roof??

But, yeah, I don't know. I did notice that they had also torn up part of the brick work on the plaza at the corner of Stuart and Dartmouth streets, too. I assumed it was water work because I think I remember seeing some piping.

Crappy pics, but roughly readable. From today's Boston Courant:

photoapr2972030am.jpg

photoapr2972111am.jpg

Nice! Of all the potential projects on the drawing board, THIS is the one I want the most!

dancingBanana.gif

The space at this location is begging for this thing to go up as proposed.

I really like how the writer ended the article by almost dismissing the typical neighborhood complaints.

When Johnny comes marching home again hurahh hurahh!

Don't be too excited; this is Boston after all. We will probably end up with a value engineered, fat 'n stubby 400 footer.

The sad thing is this is my favorite proposal in years. I am just too jaded for optimism.

It's too early to tell what sort of building will arise from this, but to me, the good news is not so much in this project re-starting, as much as what it says about the local economy. If Simon Properties is ready to make a large development investment in Boston, perhaps some others will follow. Hopefully they'll get started soon enough that I can enjoy watching this go up while Liberty Mutual is still under construction.

Heh. Looks like I should have cleaned the cubicles earlier. I got rid of the SD drawings of this project that were laying around. Should have known that once you get rid of something, you find out you need it....

This is awesome news! I'm excited to see this go up!

Seriously, tons of building buzz (I guess, relative tons) going on. This, Kensington, Seaport STREET SIGN, and a few others with steel going up.

What about the shadows?! Won't somebody PLEASE think of the shadows?!

I hope this goes through at full force charge and comes out as dense as planned.

another project out of it's coma:

Copley Place Expansion Project CAC Meeting
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
8:00 am - 10:00 am

Division-Department: Planning and Zoning - BRA
Description: Copley Place Expansion Project CAC Meeting #11
Location: Copley Place - 4th Floor (Office Level) - Conference Room
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Email: Mary.Knasas.BRA@cityofboston.gov

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/calendar/scheduledet.asp?EventID=2818

Copley Place expansion plans revving up
By Brendan Lynch
Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The expansion of Copley Place, on hold since the middle of the Great Recession, appears to be back on track.

Indiana-based mall owner and developer Simon Property Group had planned a 47-story tower with 280 luxury condos, a 54,000 square-foot expansion of Neiman-Marcus, and 60,000 square feet of additional retail and restaurant space, but concerns over the economy shelved the project in February 2009.

A Boston Redevelopment Authority spokesperson said Simon is reintroducing the project, which is pending city approval, to the neighborhood at a meeting today now that the economy has improved.

Simon spokesperson Les Morris declined to give specifics on any changes the project might have undergone since the Indiana developer, which owns several local malls, put it on hold in 2009.

?Simon Property Group is looking forward to continuing work on the Copley Place Expansion Project,? Morris said in a statement. ?Boston is in the forefront of the nation?s economic recovery and Simon wants to fulfill its vision for Copley Place.?

James Hill, chairman of the Neighborhood Association of the Back Bay, said he hadn?t heard anything since the project stalled in 2009, and the group would wait to take a position until after the meeting.

The neighborhood group raised concerns about the project two years ago, among them the proposed tower?s effect on the area?s sunlight.

?You can?t mitigate darkness,? he said. ?Either the sun shines or it doesn?t.?

The tower?s height isn?t the association?s only concern, however. Hill said the project?s mix of retail and other uses on the ground level was a concern as was the amount of traffic ? cars, trains and pedestrians ? that would be attracted to the neighborhood.

?Everyone just assumes that transit has the capacity,? he said.

Meg Mainzer-Cohen, president of the Back Bay Association, which represents area businesses, also said she hasn?t heard of any changes, and added she was happy to see the public process restarted.

?This is exactly the kind of development and exactly the kind of growth we want to see here in the city of Boston,? she said.

Link

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back