Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn there were reports of under ground column work and a little bit of facadectomy but this is the first no shit-damn this is finally happening-moment yet. Thanks for the pics, this thing has been in the works for fucking yeeeeeeears. Honorable mention to SST. Boston is going crazy right now, next thing you know columbus ave comes back from the dead-most likely not but at this rate.....maybe.

While I certainly share your enthusiasm (I've been waiting for this one more than any other tower), you should still be holding your breath. This is not even on the same side of the building as the tower. The tower won't start until the work on the SW corridor (what the picture above depicts) is complete.

I would have to dig back a few dozen pages, but IIRC, this work is related but not 100% part of the new tower. As in, this work could go to completion and the tower could stay on the drawing board. At any rate, this mall desperately needs a facelift.

It probably is separate, I know it was going to start first regardless, but coupled with reports of foundation work underground it looks like everything is on schedule as far as I know.

I would have to dig back a few dozen pages, but IIRC, this work is related but not 100% part of the new tower. As in, this work could go to completion and the tower could stay on the drawing board. At any rate, this mall desperately needs a facelift.

It probably is separate, I know it was going to start first regardless, but coupled with reports of foundation work underground it looks like everything is on schedule as far as I know.

Back in April, I posted what they are doing: http://www.archboston.org/community/showpost.php?p=260205&postcount=1858

This work (mainly ADA-driven, as this entrance is not accessible, but also a recladding) needs to happen first before they close off the portion where they are building the tower.

Oh! It just occurred to me! There was a poetry/transit-oriented/transit-related art installation within the construction barriers that're now up. Anyone know if it's being preserved or reintegrated into the plaza redesign? It doesn't show up in the renderings datadyne just referenced.

ll0tJ7r.jpg

The date is 2015 on that flyer.

But the date is "Tuesday, May 31st, 2015." May 31 was on a Sunday in 2015 and is on a Tuesday this year. The flyer also refers to Thursday, July 14 which also corresponds to 2016, not 2015. The year on the flyer appears to be a sloppy error.

Ha! gotta love the BRA's sense of humor.

isn't this is where the noob jokes to the seasoned veteran;

'you must be new here.' :cool: :) :wink: :rtfm: :thumbsup:

:)

Last edited:
Can anyone make it to this meeting?

Re: Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay
Can anyone make it to this meeting?

Re: Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay
The date is 2015 on that flyer.

I can but i need some plutonium for the Delorian

Looks like BRA going to a meeting sponsored by the St Botolph Neighbourhood Association, not the other way around.

I've Tweeted at BRA to verify and will update this post if/when I get a response. If confirmed, I'll drop in to glean any updates we might not already be privy to and update in respective threads.

In the meantime, you all may not agree with every point.... but my message (if not me, personally) could use any support it can get on the latest Globe/housing crisis thread. The nimby have a right to post their concerns... but their false narrative of steel and glass canyons needs to be vetted and thrown to the trashheap of history. Please help avoid this one from becoming the latest nimby crime syndicate soundstage.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...se/fJw0ao3zBV21z5FbD9XC5J/story.html#comments

^ I absolutely 100% agree, but I don't think this would be an appropriate meeting for to go toe-to-toe with the residents here. Since this is the Neighborhood Association putting on the meeting to let their members hear directly from the BRA, it's not appropriate for me as a non-resident to counter their arguments...or at least I can't in good conscience do that here. I'll raise those concerns in comments directly to BRA and in public forum where the meeting facilitators aren't the NIMBYs themselves. From a city politics perspective, I'm wary about them feeling like the YIMBYs are encroaching on their turf...but maybe someone less politically involved than I can be that lightning rod...

ADDENDUM: I misread Oduradina's post and while this reply should resonate, it's not in the spirit of his/her original suggestion.

Last edited:
I don't think this would be an appropriate meeting for to go toe-to-toe with the residents here. Since this is the Neighborhood Association putting on the meeting to let their members hear directly from the BRA, it's not appropriate for me as a non-resident to counter their arguments...or at least I can't in good conscience do that here. I'll raise those concerns in comments directly to BRA and in public forum where the meeting facilitators aren't the NIMBYs themselves. From a city politics perspective, I'm wary about them feeling like the YIMBYs are encroaching on their turf...but maybe someone less politically involved than I can be that lightning rod...

+1 You are correct. It is inappropriate to go toe-to-toe with residents at a neighborhood association meeting. If anything, you are only going to hurt the cause you are fighting for.

The very concerns of the neighborhood association are that people (developers, architects) from outside the area are coming in and telling the residents of that area what they need (tall towers, luxury housing, parking, etc). You will be doing that exact thing they fear.

^ I absolutely 100% agree, but I don't think this would be an appropriate meeting for to go toe-to-toe with the residents here. Since this is the Neighborhood Association putting on the meeting to let their members hear directly from the BRA, it's not appropriate for me as a non-resident to counter their arguments...or at least I can't in good conscience do that here. I'll raise those concerns in comments directly to BRA and in public forum where the meeting facilitators aren't the NIMBYs themselves. From a city politics perspective, I'm wary about them feeling like the YIMBYs are encroaching on their turf...but maybe someone less politically involved than I can be that lightning rod...

Wow, I respect that a lot and agree completely. Most of the time u hear people on here with the exact opposite approach where they wanna barge in and tell people whats best for them even though they do not live in the area affected. Let these people voice their concerns-as they are the ones affected, and in the right time and place others can give their input. Good to read something like that.

Wow, I respect that a lot and agree completely. Most of the time u hear people on here with the exact opposite approach where they wanna barge in and tell people whats best for them even though they do not live in the area affected. Let these people voice their concerns-as they are the ones affected, and in the right time and place others can give their input. Good to read something like that.

Yup. That's called smart, pragmatic politics. It's in disturbingly short supply these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back