Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Copley Place plan calls for condo tower

hahah i bet the FAA would just love that idea

Banker & Tradesman - July 15, 2008
Copley Place Development To Be Unveiled Tonight

The developers of the Copley Place expansion and a residential addition will present their plans to the Back Bay neighborhood tonight at the Boston Public Library.

Simon Property Group has proposed 114,000 square feet of new retail space, including a restaurant, and a 54,000-square-foot expansion of Neiman Marcus and the renovation of the existing store. A 47-story condominium tower that will house 280 condominiums at Dartmouth and Stuart streets also is planned. The developer is also expected to reveal plans for improvements to the public space around Copley Place.

The session will be held in the library?s mezzanine conference room at the main branch at 700 Boylston St. at 6:30 p.m.

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 (Archive on Tuesday, August 19, 2008)

This meeting should be code-named Goose, 'cuz its gonna get its ass shot down.

Hmm, I've got the day off... I think I'll go to this one.

I doubt this will pass. Also not sure i like sticking a big building in between the pru and hancock. However, it will be interesting, possibly disturbing, to see what that looks like.

^I think a building between them would be great

I'm gonna go. Any idea where the Mezzanine conference room is? Is it the original library building or the newer half?

In the Johnson wing (new building). Up the left-hand staircase in the atrium. The room is on the Boylston Street side of the building.

dshoot... I'm in my 20s (I'll probably be one of the youngest people there) and I'll be wearing khaki shorts and a light green button up shirt, and maybe some 70s-style sunglasses on my head. I'm leaving now so I won't be able to read any more messages, but don't be afraid to come up and introduce yourself.

hopefully someone takes pics *hint hint* [althought it started an hour ago]

Hey KZ, sorry I didn't make it. Something came up. Please, though, let us know how the meeting went. And btw, you have a couple years on me--had I gone I think I would've been the youngest there (19). Isn't it great though that we have a passion for urban development?

dshoot... I'm in my 20s (I'll probably be one of the youngest people there) and I'll be wearing khaki shorts and a light green button up shirt, and maybe some 70s-style sunglasses on my head. I'm leaving now so I won't be able to read any more messages, but don't be afraid to come up and introduce yourself.

I sat in the exact seat behind you.

*PSYCHE*! I ended up showing up to the meeting at the last minute. It was a pleasure to meet you, kz1000ps. Sorry I didn't introduce myself, Chris. Anyhow, as a treat, I took some photos for you on my iPhone. I'll apologize now for the quality, however, if kz feels so inclined to, he took much higher resolution photos of the project.

img0019km3.jpg

img0016te6.jpg

img0011iw2.jpg

img0004ii0.jpg

img0002ix1.jpg

img0020oy9.jpg

img0003tc1.jpg

img0007nj3.jpg

img0006tk0.jpg

img0017qd5.jpg

img0001rc1.jpg

img0008ah4.jpg

img0013ku4.jpg

img0024of5.jpg

img0018pd1.jpg

img0009kz6.jpg

Back in my day... (about 1981)... this is what "Copley Place" looked like.
img0012do2.jpg

Lastly, although I entered the meeting late, I took the following notes from the last half an hour of questions. (NOTE: '-' indicates community member asking question; '+' indicates knowledgeable person behind the project committee answering it)

BRA meeting
47-floor condo for Copley

-some concern over winter garden... Getting rid of open air space.
+opinion that the plaza is under-utilized, architect believes glass provides plenty of "open space" to the plaza... May be more inviting. More a garden, more vegetation, all about curb appeal. Lighting is important, sidewalk cafe is good for this space.
-guy thinks garden looks "weak, not good for people"; concerned about long term effects to SW corridor park.
+The team welcomes the guy's comments, but agrees they need to discuss further.
-(last question) Kurt sees pos and neg potential with this sight. What's the community's levarage with site? Maids quarters don't count as affordable housing... This shouldn't be all about the big boys $$$. South endies are conceded about the narrow sidewalks.--> improve the sidewalk, a lot of concern over little details.
+CAC will get into more detail with community. Detailing of sidewalk requires more input from community.
+Pro-development dude doesn't think a super-rich condo is necessary. If this is for Neiman Marcus, then just leave it to Neiman. Talks schematics of street-width, how it's very, very close to the street. If you're talking value for the bldg, u need height, which leaves a big question mark.
-Gene is concerned about aesthetics, community events, and the arts...
+They will proceed over the next few meetings to address those details.

Thank you so much for the photos and splendid reporting. The tower is a sineous and attractive departure from the angularity of the neighboring towers. The street level detailing is a bit Lord and Taylor shags the Burlington Mall, though.

I also took notes of all the questions/answers.

Thanks for the pix's!!!! I like this tower, the shape is interesting,unsure about the base of the tower at street level or the color of the glass?
coplyplacetower2008gif2.jpg

Bastard! I was trying to beat you (dshoot) in getting my pics up before you... FAIL for me :)

Anyway, here's my batch.. please bear with the duplicates to what dshoot already posted. And I'll have a full write-up on the meeting, possibly later tonight.

The setting:

img5019kf9.jpg

The architect: Howard Elkus of Elkus Manfredi

img5023zt1.jpg

Site plan:

img5033gr4.jpg

floor plans:

img5026zb7.jpg

The ground level, looking east down Stuart:

img5030rn7.jpg

Looking north:

img5031bd5.jpg

The winter garden:

img5032vi4.jpg

Skyline shots:

img5028vn4.jpg

img5029yg9.jpg

img5034ll1.jpg

img5035vv7.jpg

And model shots:

img5036po9.jpg

From approximately Dartmouth and Beacon:

img5037iy3.jpg

From Copley Square:

img5038rn7.jpg

Looking west down Stuart Street from the Clarendon (at left):

img5039cr1.jpg

From the Southwest Corridor Park:

img5040tb6.jpg

img5041ex7.jpg

img5042oq2.jpg

img5043aw3.jpg

img5044rh6.jpg

img5045fx3.jpg

img5046bk6.jpg

Even better! thanks to the both of you! This would be great if it gets built!

That's a really good looking tower, excellent massing. The soft curves are a great contrast to the sharp edges of the Hancock. I'm not used to Boston seeing architecturally progressive, attractive proposals like this one - it's almost too good to be true.

Which is why I'll thank South End NIMBYs in advance (Ned Flaherty, how's it going?) for complaining this thing down to stumpy, 20 story shadow of what it could have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back