COVID-19 in Boston

Jjlo - talk to the frontlines. They are not at capacity and they have all the equipment they need. Were there pinch points? Absolutely. Right now things are stable and have been for weeks. Hospitals are actually laying off staff since their businesses are being stifled.

Why are NY and CA operating at the largest state budget deficits while TX and FL run at surpluses?

Two of these states know how to be self sufficient and two rely on big gov't and bailouts.

Jjlo - talk to the frontlines. They are not at capacity and they have all the equipment they need. Were there pinch points? Absolutely. Right now things are stable and have been for weeks. Hospitals are actually laying off staff since their businesses are being stifled.

I am surprised they are reopening really slowly. Boston's gonna have serious economic problems if the schools don't reopen this fall.

Why are NY and CA operating at the largest state budget deficits while TX and FL run at surpluses?

Two of these states know how to be self sufficient and two rely on big gov't and bailouts.
Texas is running a big deficit, not only from the effects of the virus but also from the collapse of oil prices.

Florida got $12 billion from 'big government' as a virus-related 'bailout' and Moody's last month suggested it may still be $10 billion short. As for Florida's reliance on tourism, see p. 3
https://www.visitflorida.org/media/30679/florida-visitor-economic-impact-study.pdf

What do you think will happen to the tourism industry in Florida during a nation-wide, great economic downturn, during which many people are afraid to travel because of the virus?

What do you think will happen to the tourism industry in Florida during a nation-wide, great economic downturn, during which many people are afraid to travel because of the virus?

You could see that here. Wouldn't be surprised if plenty of students decide to stay closer to home and not go to any Boston schools. Or maybe stick to more rural schools.

I'm am sorry, I was referring to Pre-Covid. Yes, they will both be hurting post covid, but not nearly as badly as a state like CA that was almost backrupt pre-covid. Check out their public pension crisis. Ouch. However, their sales tax revenues will far surpass the states that have these oppressive lock downs.

This is a free society and 48 states have found a way to reopen better than us, including NY. Check out GA and FL...going pretty good isn't it?

According to this article in the LA Times, Georgia misrepresented their data so "pretty good" might be a misnomer.
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/sto...numbers-reopening-manipulated-data-brian-kemp

Are you really telling me an pot shop is better for society than a gym? Our population is obese. Hate to tell ya, but having people exercise vigorously and diet correctly does a hell of a lot more than wearing a cloth mask outside.

Actually, a researcher in Alberta has discovered that marijuana interrupts the virus' binding process by up to 73%. That's probably a better benefit than you'd get out of a gym (in the immediate here and now). In a gym you are inside, constantly exposed to others. For most of us who work out at all, we have the ability to pivot to home and outdoor routines. Couple that with the 73% marijuana protection, and it looks like those gyms aren't so important anymore!

If this virus broke out in the 70-80's it wouldn't even matter about the public shutdown for months. The problem is the overall debt levels in the market created by Wall Street, Fed and Govt.
Its not the virus that's the main problem is the over exposure to personal and public debt levels that did not plan for this rainy day.

Not sure if anybody reads the bible. 7 good years and 7 bad years. Remember you have to save for that rainy day.

Spend, spend, spend, consume mentality is going to take metropolitan cities to its knees.

According to this article in the LA Times, Georgia misrepresented their data so "pretty good" might be a misnomer.
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/sto...numbers-reopening-manipulated-data-brian-kemp

Same with Florida: Woman who designed Florida's COVID-19 dashboard has been removed from her position

Rebekah Jones said in an email to CBS12 News that her removal was "not voluntary" and that she was removed from her position because she was ordered to censor some data, but refused to "manually change data to drum up support for the plan to reopen."

Check out GA and FL...going pretty good isn't it?

Uhh. See, if you lie the right way with statistics you can bury anything into a looks-like-decrease just fine.

So why don't we wait until there's been a function of time applied to trendings on a virus that takes 14 days to incubate and a little more uniformity in sampling sizes before rooting for/against state flag laundry a wee too hard amid available info here, 'kay.

Actually, a researcher in Alberta has discovered that marijuana interrupts the virus' binding process by up to 73%. That's probably a better benefit than you'd get out of a gym (in the immediate here and now). In a gym you are inside, constantly exposed to others. For most of us who work out at all, we have the ability to pivot to home and outdoor routines. Couple that with the 73% marijuana protection, and it looks like those gyms aren't so important anymore!

This has to be a joke right? You think a drug that is known to cause serious health problems (see CO data and studies), as well more accidents, is better than our obese population exercising? Obese are far more likely to get this virus. So if we are going off anecdotal data from one researcher than I am sure you are 100% on board with Hydroxychloroquine? Far more data than smoking pot.

This has to be a joke right? You think a drug that is known to cause serious health problems (see CO data and studies), as well more accidents, is better than our obese population exercising? Obese are far more likely to get this virus. So if we are going off anecdotal data from one researcher than I am sure you are 100% on board with Hydroxychloroquine? Far more data than smoking pot.

Why do they call it "medical marijuana" and are these "serious health problems" even close to being on par with most pharmaceutical prescriptions? It's not a joke. Maybe it helps and maybe it doesn't, but nobody dies just from smoking marijuana. The same can't be said about hydroxychloroquine or the vast majority of other drugs, prescription or otherwise. If it can prevent seizures and attack cancer cells, why couldn't it also (potentially) be beneficial towards battling other diseases, COVID included? No it's not the cure, but it could certainly help (and most certainly would not hurt) and the above article is only step 1 of the research process.

You are just making stuff up. Or to be more charitable, perhaps you are parroting the lies you've read elsewhere. All four states you mention have balanced budget laws. All four also have debt because they issue bonds. You are claiming an untruth and hoping that nobody notices.

Yeah don't read too much in the state website for GA on coronavirus. Their case collection is different. IIRC, they backfill dates based on they day they estimate is the infection date rather than the test confirmation date. Essentially, they assume the day you take the test as the day your symptoms appear, then back out 10-14 days to account for incubation and allocate those cases to that date instead.

That's why GA is always going to show a downward trend on the most recent days. Those data points are incomplete and I'm guessing that they are willfully doing it this way to keep it in line with their narrative that the pandemic is disappearing in GA.

Florida in the meantime is starting to see an upward trend in cases since reopening, which isn't unexpected. It's going to go up once the country reopens. It's whether they have the resource to track and treat that matters and that will be something we will have to wait and see:
1589908116510.png

Data is all over the place. Not sure what to believe- Overall Death rates are actually down in the Red states vs 2019. How is that possible It's all how you want to present the data--

Comparing Year-Over-Year Deaths in Red & Blue States: A Pattern of COVID-19’s Impact Emerges

I'm pretty sure Florida and Texas are two states that gets more Federal Spending than Federal Taxes Paid. I know for sure NY gets much less back from what they send to Washington.

Data is all over the place. Not sure what to believe- Overall Death rates are actually down in the Red states vs 2019. How is that possible It's all how you want to present the data--

Comparing Year-Over-Year Deaths in Red & Blue States: A Pattern of COVID-19’s Impact Emerges

This is one of those, correlation is not causation. Most likely, the increase in death rates, of which it is boosted by the pandemic, in Blue states is because Blue states are generally denser or have denser cities which basically is a more fertile ground for infections whereas Red states are more rural and less conducive to infections. It has nothing to do with ideology here. In fact, the bluer a state, the more likelihood that state has a higher urban population (which makes sense since urban areas tend to vote Democrat).

This is one of the cases where someone with a political agenda can willfully misinterpret the data to drive their narratives, often to the detriment to the public.

I also want to add that death rate is probably down because people are more cautious and are dying less from other diseases thanks to practicing social distancing and good hygiene which is obviously effective in limiting infection from several other contagious diseases. Other death rate, from vehicular to violent crimes are probably down as fewer people are out on the street though suicide rates are probably up.

Last edited:
Keep this in mind-- Until the May data comes out-
A total of the United States Deaths in 2019 vs 2020 (April vs March
512,211 vs 567,003 ==54,792 American deaths justifies. 11% rise in total in our country concerning the Pandemic
#1 shutting down the economy for 2-3 months
#2 Lock down on the public--No parks/Beaches
#3 FED printing trillions of tax dollars to bailout certain corporations. ( those well managed corporations by the way)
#4 Stock Market at all time highs with no economy

Alot of people's lives will be destroyed over this.

Not only that
2019-2020 Flu Season on Track to Be Especially Severe, New CDC Data Suggests

Last edited:
One thing I realized out of all this is America has no manufacturing the o

Concerning the parks and the beaches. The state shutdown the parks and beaches. Most people don't have the luxury to walk from town to town to a beach. The parks are shutdown if an officer catches you hanging out there you will be asked to leave.
I just don't see the difference in waiting in a parking lot at Walmart if they are trying to avoid overall crowds.

How is outsourcing most if not all manufacturing to Communist Regime not a National Security threat for United State citizens? We almost went to nuclear war with the Russians in the late 60's over this ideology.

Concerning manufacturing, I agree that the bipartisan consensus from the late 1980s through the recent era that free trade was always good was a massive miscalculation. Granted I don't think tariffs are the answer to that, but our federal government shouldn't be encouraging essential US manufacturing in one of our biggest geopolitical rivals.

As an aside, China is "communist" in name only. Their political-economy has morphed into something much closer to fascism than Maoist communism. Not to say they're not a national security threat–they absolutely are–but not because of communism.

George do you work in gov't? Sure sounds like it, or at the least, have a protected paycheck. I own a business, so I don't need the lecture. I have seen first hand other business owners CLOSE FOR GOOD because of this pathetic leadership at the state level.

I am fortunate enough to have a protected paycheck and I work for a municipal government. Trust me, I have mountains of respect for small business owners trying to get through all of this. I'm married to one. I know what people are going through with producing multiple budgets and figuring out how to outlast the shutdown + recession that we're facing. It's very industry specific and very specific to specific businesses. I hate seeing businesses (mostly restaurants) closing for good. I know the PPP loan forgiveness program ran out of money fast, and not all businesses have the ability to maintain themselves even with that federal money. I know that the state has limited financial resources to bear. I don't know how your business is doing nor about the businesses of your clients and friends. If they're struggling, I sympathize with their frustrations.

What I don't get is what you wanted the state to do. Not shut down? Reopen when Georgia did? I'm not clear on what has made the leadership pathetic.

This is a free society and 48 states have found a way to reopen better than us, including NY. Check out GA and FL...going pretty good isn't it? Baker and Walsh both are over their heads here. Are you really telling me an pot shop is better for society than a gym? Our population is obese. Hate to tell ya, but having people exercise vigorously and diet correctly does a hell of a lot more than wearing a cloth mask outside.

As others have mentioned, Georgia's state government botched their data to justify reopening when they did. I never mentioned pot shops. As far as I can tell, recreational pot shops are closed. Gyms are damn important for people's mental and physical well-being, but they're also one of the most dangerous venues from the perspective of virus control. Loads of shared equipment. Heavy breathers indoors and in close proximity to one another. That's a nightmare from a public health perspective.

I'm also confused about your jab at masks. If you want to reopen, you should be fucking begging people to wear masks. If you want me to go through the reasons why, I'm happy to. The mask isn't to protect the wearer's health, it's primarily to protect others around the wearer if you are an asymptomatic carrier. If everyone in close proximity wears a mask, potential for transmission drops dramatically.

Do I think people need to wear a mask if they're able to be socially distant when they're outside? I don't know. Studies differ on how long COVID-19 can survive in water droplets produced by exhaling. I'm willing to play it safe from a civic responsibility perspective and just wear a damn mask. It is possible to work out outdoors wearing a mask. I went for a hard 40 mile bike ride the other day bandit style and it wasn't a big deal. Once I was on suburban roads I pulled it down my chin. When I saw people I pulled it up. Right choice? Wrong choice? Social signalling? Who knows. But it's not some oppressive thing.

I can tell you're angry and upset, but the way you're writing is like you're spraying machine-gun fire at things that make you mad. You're not effectively responding to the arguments people are making, which makes your arguments functionally weaker.

Also, you take shots at the Federal level (because you must have TDS). What exactly could they have done for MA? Baker said they have received everything they have asked for. The Army Corps helped with setting up HOPE, which never had more than 150 or so patients in it. Can you please point to specific MA examples of where the Feds did not give us what we needed? This is a local issue and unfortunately, we have proven we have leaders who are just not qualified for this. I'm really hoping these one way arrows on the sidewalks make all the difference tho.

I'm taking shots at the parts of government that aren't working. I took shots at Baker for slow-walking his announcement last week. I take shots at the Trump admin because they are so god-damned incompetent to get anything done properly. I can give you a list of things that the feds have done wrong since January, but I don't think you're interested. Let me know.

Tell me what you want local leaders to do. What is your preferred policy to control the pandemic and reopen. How is it different from the governor's plan. I'm not some Charlie Baker/Marty Walsh fanboy. There's plenty to criticise about their crisis response. But what would you be doing if you were governor?

Also... suggesting another user (let alone a moderator) has "Trump Derangement Syndrome" is the kind of pointless ad hominem jab that we're not going to be putting up with on this board. And this has nothing to do with my perceptions of your personal politics. I don't give a shit what your personal politics are. But keep discussion focused on the issues and not on making ridiculous assumptions about other users. Consider this a warning.

Last edited:
George do you work in gov't? Sure sounds like it, or at the least, have a protected paycheck. I own a business, so I don't need the lecture.

Did you get your 8 weeks of free money from the government? Worker here. The powers at be at my place of employment love to talk about how we shouldnt give handouts to anybody year after year and then the second they found out they could get a free check from the goverment they were first in line. L O motherfucking L. Typical.

Back