Custom House Tower Photo Thread

Don't forget you have the right to go to the top of the Custom House at 10:00 AM and 4:00 everyday, weather permitting. Don't let the Marriott staff try to disuade you.

It might cause them extra effort, as the elevator requires a plastic-card room key to activate at most times.

I might of posted these somewhere before?
100_0548.jpg
100_0549.jpg
100_0550.jpg
100_0551.jpg
100_0615.jpg
100_1138.jpg
100_1161.jpg
100_1166.jpg
100_1167.jpg
100_1165.jpg
100_1169.jpg
the view from the top
100_1171.jpg
100_1170.jpg

I actually really like the bubble effect in pic #3!

They just prefer to have people enter via the entry vestibules at the base (which get keycarded off after hours), rather than climbing the big stairs. Using those massive doors would just be rather ridiculous and a great amount of money would have to go their upkeep.

I can't remember if those doors even have EXIT signage.

They just prefer to have people enter via the entry vestibules at the base (which get keycarded off after hours), rather than climbing the big stairs. Using those massive doors would just be rather ridiculous and a great amount of money would have to go their upkeep.

I can't remember if those doors even have EXIT signage.

If they don't have signage...someone is in deep trouble. They have to have them clearly marked and lit as an exit even if it's not the main exit from the building.

And regarding the cars...per http://www.cityofboston.gov/Images_Documents/preven_code_tcm3-4039.pdf in section 11.07 they can't be there- they are right at the bottom of hte stairs where the stairs meet hte street blocking egress. Even if it is only a secondary exit, they still do not belong there.

My point was more aesthetic than safety. Its a public sidewalk. Cars shouldnt be there.

As for the heavy doors, on the inside, theyre marked as emergency ecit only.

My point was more aesthetic than safety. Its a public sidewalk. Cars shouldnt be there.

As for the heavy doors, on the inside, theyre marked as emergency ecit only.

This and Pemberton Square should have cars outlawed...simply no place for them on the small plazas.

This. But Center Plaza effectively deadens Pemberton anyways.

Original plans were for it to be tree lined park to go the back of Center Plaza, court officials killed that idea and made it their personal parking lot. A couple of decent sized trees in front of the courthouse would make all the difference but they "need" their spaces

This. But Center Plaza effectively deadens Pemberton anyways.

I personally like the center plaza building, but i wonder if removing part of it and building a high rise that allows a wide opening to Pemberton Square might not be a big improvement for the area.

I personally like the center plaza building, but i wonder if removing part of it and building a high rise that allows a wide opening to Pemberton Square might not be a big improvement for the area.

It depends on which of the buildings it is built on...One and Two wouldn't look as good as putting it at Three where it can blend in with the the other buildings nearby.

Removing part of center plaza 3 and adding a high rise section, perhaps on both sections will open up views of the Adams Courthouse.

Back