Development Map and Chart

Re: Development Map

Third -- Massport is paid for by the users -- there is no direct pipeline from the taxpayer's pocket to Logan...

My private company and the land I occupy is paid for by my users.

But Massport is the steward of public property it never purchased.

Massport (and BCEC, BRA and other so-called quasi-public agencies) are 100% answerable to the taxpayer and each have an obligation to ensure that the land they have been GIFTED is either banked for future use, used for a temporary use, or permitted according to a plan that ensures it is likely to achieve its highest and best use.

I mentioned that back here.

Additional background: I think the article is partially correct in terms of the scale of the project as permitted, revised, and further revised. This initial plan (I believe Joslin, in partnership with a private developer) was for lab space with a residential tower that was to be leased by Harvard to house medical students. The story I've heard is that the tower was kiboshed through objections by the Windsor School. With the residential component removed, a boxier 13 story, 675K SqFt proposal (now privately financed) was briefly considered. What actually moved forward (as far as demolition of all structures on the site before the bottom fell out of the economy) is the 9-story, 425 SqFt scheme.

"Longwood Center" thread

The one unknown -- I'm not sure who pays for the State Police detachment at Logan

Massport does.

Note that paeking lots (that's the essesnse of a traditional rental car faciity) are a bad way to use land at an airport which has no spare land

Secondly since it is consolidated -- that means the multiplicity of endleslessly circulating rental car buses will be replaced by one endlesssly circulating rental car bus -- freeing up more space for othe buses

Third -- Massport is paid for by the users -- there is no direct pipeline from the taxpayer's pocket to Logan -- paid by:
a) landing fees -- so your ticket if you fly'
b) parking fees -- so your parking fee if you fly
c) rental car fees -- your rental car
d) concession fees -- your food, drink and trinkets

None of these impact the taxpayer unless the taxpayer is also a flyer

The one unkown -- I'm not sure who pays for the State Poice detachment at Logan

No one was arguing against the garage at all. Just the fact that there is absolutely no reason to NOT "value engineer" it.

Ditto. The facility is useful and needed, and I don't really care how it looks, since nobody's going to spend much time either inside it or looking at it from outside.

Map is all updated AFAIK. Downgraded Filene's to "dead", because... well... it's dead...

Fully approved, on ice for reasons unknown:

316 Summer Street (rehab w/rooftop add. & infill)
322 Summer Street (rehab w/rooftop add. & infill)
49 Melcher (rehab w/infill)
51 Melcher (rehab w/rooftop add. & infill)
63 Melcher (rehab w/infill)
319 A St. Rear (new constr.)
5 Channel Ctr. (rehab)

If you want to expand out from the CBD there are a few others I can think of, for example the proposed hotel on the former Circle Cinema site in Cleveland Circle. Also, there are quite a bunch of things happening in Cambridge at the moment, e.g Novartis, Constellation Center, Bowl and Board, etc? Also, Harvard's plans for Allston? Wasn't sure how far you wanted to go with this!

is 'happening' a proper description of the status of Constellation Center?

Not sure if this is the right place for the following:

I was doing some searches and came across this from Peter Meade:

BRA's Meade eyes new tower space, harbor renaissance
Boston Business Journal by Craig M. Douglas
Date: Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 12:38pm EDT
Enlarge Image
BRA's Meade eyes new tower space, harbor renaissance

Boston’s top planning official told a business audience Tuesday that the city’s $28 billion in proposed development will continue to snowball, as institutional money and efforts to transform the local waterfront should fuel a flood of new projects in the years to come.

Speaking at a Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce breakfast event, Boston Redevelopment Director Peter Meade specifically identified the city’s South Station and Winthrop Square area near Downtown Crossing as particularly ripe locations for potential new towers. He said areas could easily “embrace more height” without delivering any long-term disruption to the existing layout.

Suddenly, everything is turning green. Lots of construction!

If you see any errors, please post.

I think the projects at Boylston Street near the Pru and the Christian Science Center Towers should be included as proposed.

You need to add yellow pins to the two Fenway projects:

- 1282 Boylston (southeast corner of Jersey St. & Boylston)
- Fenway Triangle Addition (Corner of Boylston & Kilmanrock... the Super Target one). This one will break ground in a few months.

I have to say, since I've moved back to Boston, I'm happy to see so many new, smart developments. I'm glad that Boston continues to go away from the completely car based type city that developers tried to make it (and succeeded in in many other cities) after WWII. It'll be a long time before it fully reaches its potential, but I'm happy to watch it grow.

Two from my neck of the woods:

~Childrens Hospital building currently under construction and making vertical progress (opposite Binney St from Dana Farber's main entrance)
~BWH's Massachusetts Mental Health building currently clearing land and under construction (between Fenwood road and Vining St next to the recently completed Shapiro Cardiovascular Center)

- Fenway Triangle Addition (Corner of Boylston & Kilmanrock... the Super Target one). This one will break ground in a few months.

What is going in Boylston and Kilmanrock?

I think the projects at Boylston Street near the Pru and the Christian Science Center Towers should be included as proposed.

What project? :confused:

Adding. Do we have threads for these?

Two from my neck of the woods:

~Childrens Hospital building currently under construction and making vertical progress (opposite Binney St from Dana Farber's main entrance)
~BWH's Massachusetts Mental Health building currently clearing land and under construction (between Fenwood road and Vining St next to the recently completed Shapiro Cardiovascular Center)

Adding. Do we have threads for these?

Back